IGNORED

The New HSC - Week 34 = H.E.R.O.

S.BAZ

I can see where complaints would arise. How is it random when the 1st level is always the same? Once, it gave me THAT level twice in a row.

EDIT- 77,660 (started at lvl 1, got to lv 13)

Bonus points, please.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

I was happy that I checked in on the HSC this week since HERO is one of my favorite 2600 games. Even though I love it, I don't think I've ever managed to score enough points to qualify for the patch. I figured I'd make it a personal goal this week. Well, I was getting close to making it yesterday and I thought I'd check the scores, when I saw we were playing game 5. My first thought was, "There are different game variants in HERO!?"

Game 5: 17,980

Game 1 (for patch, bonus, and personal record): 84,255

post-34643-0-11610200-1442195437_thumb.jpg

post-34643-0-57031100-1442195483_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I've been playing without commenting as I don't usually participate. Something is bothering me this time with the game. The screens where there is a wide hot double wall over the river . . . I had a system to get around these at one point, but I can't seem to do them without dying now. How do you guys navigate this obstacle? The last screen on 18 is a good example.

How do you guys navigate this obstacle? The last screen on 18 is a good example.

Yeah those are a pain! Sometimes I do get past it, you have to tap "up" at the right time intervals (while pushing forward) in order to keep flying straight forward. It's totally unforgiving. It only gives you a tiny window, if you tap up too soon he ascends, if you tap too late, he falls. All the time having to keep pressing forward. 8(

BTW: I attempted this...but man, those later levels are such a bitch. My score didn't come close to the top unfortunately... Still it was fun to bust out the game and play it again.

Most of us have low scores. That doesn't keep us from posting them. So what's your point? :grin:

We're playing Jungle Hunt on game 2 (hard) this current week - also a great game. Feel free to join us.

Edited by karokoenig

Game 5, but I didn't have to do level 20 and it gave me level 1 multiple times. -93,785-

post-5812-0-34228300-1442469987_thumb.png

I practiced A LOT tonight. For the screen I was describing above with the wide hot wall above the river, I have a rhythm that lets me get under it. I stop pushing up and count to 3. On 3, I push directly up (and only up) then on four, press diagonally to the left or right and you should get through. Of course the timing needs to be more precise if you are avoiding the tentacle too.

For bombing walls on narrow platforms where you must jump off to avoid the explosion and avoid a creature in the air nearby, you can either move only slightly off the platform (explosions won't kill you in the air) OR try to fly out completely horizontal. To do this make your first direction straight up after planting your bomb. Then press diagonally left or right and you should fly almost completely horizontal every time. The longer you hold up (we're talking less than a second) the more horizontally you move.

The thing that holds me back on game 5 is the speed variation gets me second guessing myself. I end up dying at weird places because I'm used to the enemies being fast or slower. I've practiced the individual levels quite a bit, and I can usually complete level 20, but I can't seem to be consistent when the levels are random. And yet somehow that makes me love this game even more.