IGNORED

Retro VGS will support playing ColecoVision games from the cartridges!

dashv

this statement bothers me from the indiegogo campaign:

Unprecedented Flexibility

At $3,800,000—less than twice our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but to me is seems that you don't get the classics unless they get almost twice the money.

this statement bothers me from the indiegogo campaign:

Unprecedented Flexibility

At $3,800,000—less than twice our minimum goal—we increase the size of our FPGA, making RETRO VGS the first video game system capable of recreating classic systems through reshaping its own hardware!

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but to me is seems that you don't get the classics unless they get almost twice the money.

Yeah, it's totally confusing. Because later in the Indiegogo info it also says this:

Internal Hardware

* Powerful ARM-based central processing unit (CPU)

* Field-programmable gate array (FPGA)

* Fast, flexible, durable cartridge interface

* Convection cooled: no noisy fan to wear out

Nowhere does it mention specifically any classic systems being supported at all, not even future support, only that if they get the extended stretch goal that it's "capable" which in my mind says "possible" but nothing confirmed. I'm just not seeing the value of spending $300 on a new "retro" system that plays new "retro-looking" games (that will probably also be available on Steam?) and doesn't seem to support "out of the box" any sort of emulators for classic systems or a cart slot adapter for classic systems. Or did I totally miss something here?

If I want to go play a new game that's made to look like a classic 8-bit NES title, I'll play Shovel Knight on my 3DS which won't cost me $300. I'm not sure exactly what the point of this new machine is now based on the most recent description.

Oh, and here's the campaign in case anyone is interested: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/retro-vgs#/story

Unfortunately, it looks like you won't be seeing Colecovision support as soon as we would like,

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/235430-how-has-this-not-been-posted-yet-retro-vgs/page-60?do=findComment&comment=3325199

Wow, yeah. Thanks for that link. Now I see what Pixelboy was saying about "read the last 20 pages of that thread" (Sorry, I had only got back a couple and stopped when I found the IGG link)

This is most certainly something I am NOT interested in.

Wow, yeah. Thanks for that link. Now I see what Pixelboy was saying about "read the last 20 pages of that thread" (Sorry, I had only got back a couple and stopped when I found the IGG link)

This is most certainly something I am NOT interested in.

With any luck, kevtris will be able to turn his prototype board into an actual product, with some help.

If I had the money, I would pay kevtris to do a ColecoVision-centric version of his board, with a proper cartridge port. :)

With any luck, kevtris will be able to turn his prototype board into an actual product, with some help.If I had the money, I would pay kevtris to do a ColecoVision-centric version of his board, with a proper cartridge port. :)

Me too, with some enhancements to the FPGA core. I wasn't kidding with my example of the Visions console with successor versions of the cores. Hello, throw in the 2600/7800. 3 cart connectors or one with 3 adapters...I really think a narrowly defined thing like this might low cost enough that a kickstarter wouldn't need millions to succeed.

Or just do it for Coleco and make it a replacement board that fits the Colecovision case like has been discussed with the various replacement board discussions.

• 2 weeks later...