IGNORED

HSC12 Round 15: Popeye "Arcade" / 5200 Port

therealbountybob

The poll was for something newISH, ok so you wanted something more ish than new and we have...

POPEYE "Arcade / 5200 Port"

The "Arcade" / 5200 version that has just been converted by Homesoft

[since this round Popeye Arcade "Version 10" has been released with significant improvements]

All the details are here on Atariage - 1st post has the download, 3rd post has the link to the information on the changes :thumbsup: Atarimania has original instructions

popeye.gifpost-4727-0-00070900-1440519910_thumb.pn

Quickly looking at it seems identical to play but hopefully there might be a few other tweaks ;)

Have fun - play the original version if you can't get this to work. Standard HSC scoring. Set a new HSC record for a bonus point [atariksi 280,060]

EVERYONE WELCOME TO PLAY

Round closes Sunday 20th 10am UK time

trbb

Yes original version is fine to play too, especailly original original version :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Gameplay should be identical - though it's possible the # of pixels in the bluto graphic etc might be slightly bigger/smaller re the collision detection.

Can't see anyone touching atariksi's score :-o he was pretty darn good at these games (and an NTSC player) he was a tough competitor :thumbsup:

I'm still working on my P-P-project - just adapting someones utility to extract data from a file for use in assembler - hope to post something on the programming thread at the weekend. If anyone has anything Atari based that splits executable files into separate files let me know ;)

Single game this time so no excuses for not having a few goes each :P :D

I'm still working on my P-P-project - just adapting someones utility to extract data from a file for use in assembler - hope to post something on the programming thread at the weekend. If anyone has anything Atari based that splits executable files into separate files let me know ;)

Do you mean something that splits an executable into individual segments based on the load address specified in each segment header? If you don't find anything, let me know. I have something in python to do that, but I guess you want something that runs on Atari hardware?

Do you mean something that splits an executable into individual segments based on the load address specified in each segment header? If you don't find anything, let me know. I have something in python to do that, but I guess you want something that runs on Atari hardware?

Thanks, but yes - Atari based - something to split files in any way - for now I'm just editing the directory entry to point to the sector I want to extract; which is not too bad. Looks like my new utility is working! Will post it later ;)

25960, not quite got the hang of this one yet

Good :evil:

Current Standings UPDATED

Here is my first score for Homesoft's Atari 5200 conversion of "Popeye:"

post-4925-0-68636300-1441754883_thumb.gif

Popeye (Homesoft Atari 5200 Coversion) - 19,130 - (Altirra Emulation, NTSC)

I could not get this game to work on my real Atari 130XE using the AtariMax 8Mb flashcart. Too bad. Maybe I'll play both "Popeye" games: the Parker Bros. release and the Homesoft Atari 5200 conversion. I don't notice any immediate differences (other than the graphics) in the two different ports, but I haven't played the Atari 8-Bit Parker Bros. version in a long time.

In the mid-eighties, I used to play "Popeye" on my C64 all of the time. The was one of my favorite games for that system, and it's a great version on the Atari 8-bit too. The only thing I miss from the C64 version are the color of Olive Oil's hearts. On the C64 the hearts are red, but on the Atari they're a sad shade of pink. Other than that, they both play great.

When I started collecting videogames in the early nineties I eventually had most games for the Atari 5200. I even got my controllers re-built by Best Electronics. It was really hard to get "Popeye" to go up and down the stairs with any consistency with those analog monsters. This Atari 8-Bit conversion fixes that terrible issue.

Popeye is one of my favorite characters, as the poster of him on the wall in my office can attest. Thanks for choosing this Atari 5200 videogame conversion; I didn't know about it.

The following is off-the-Popeye videogame topic... but not off-the-Popeye topic in general:

For any other Popeye fans, there are three DVD sets that include eight restored DVDs full of cartoons, including every B&W Popeye cartoon. When the cartoons went color in 1943, they were being made by a different company (Famous Studios, not Fleischer Studios) and they were not nearly as good anymore (simplier animation and loss of the beautiful drawings of the older cartoons). Then, in the 60s, there were some really terrible Popeye cartoons made for TV. These are the cartoons that people usually tend to have seen before-- which is a true shame. It's the older popeye, which were out-of-print until 2008 that are true treasures and shouldn't be missed by anyone. The Popeye DVD sets are called:

• Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938: The Complete First Volume
  • Popeye the Sailor: 1938-1940: The Complete Second Volume
  • Popeye the Sailor: 1941-1943: The Complete Third Volume

These DVDs are easy to find (check Amazon), and every Popeye (and perhaps even non-Popeye fan!) should have them! If you enjoy animation and funny, sometimes violent, off-the-wall humor about a character that you thought you knew about, then you should look into these sets. Also read the original Popeye stips by E.C. Segar from 1929-1939; they are some of the best daily comic strips every created.

(I bet that you can hardly tell I'm a fan on that lovable, misunderstood, one-eyed sailor, right?)

• Like 1

Here is my first score for Homesoft's Atari 5200 conversion of "Popeye:"

attachicon.gifPopeye (Homesoft Atari 5200 Coversion)(Atari 8-Bit)(NTSC)(19130).gif

Popeye (Homesoft Atari 5200 Coversion) - 19,130 - (Altirra Emulation, NTSC)

I could not get this game to work on my real Atari 130XE using the AtariMax 8Mb flashcart. Too bad. Maybe I'll play both "Popeye" games: the Parker Bros. release and the Homesoft Atari 5200 conversion. I don't notice any immediate differences (other than the graphics) in the two different ports, but I haven't played the Atari 8-Bit Parker Bros. version in a long time.

In the mid-eighties, I used to play "Popeye" on my C64 all of the time. The was one of my favorite games for that system, and it's a great version on the Atari 8-bit too. The only thing I miss from the C64 version are the color of Olive Oil's hearts. On the C64 the hearts are red, but on the Atari they're a sad shade of pink. Other than that, they both play great.

When I started collecting videogames in the early nineties I eventually had most games for the Atari 5200. I even got my controllers re-built by Best Electronics. It was really hard to get "Popeye" to go up and down the stairs with any consistency with those analog monsters. This Atari 8-Bit conversion fixes that terrible issue.

Popeye is one of my favorite characters, as the poster of him on the wall in my office can attest. Thanks for choosing this Atari 5200 videogame conversion; I didn't know about it.

The following is off-the-Popeye videogame topic... but not off-the-Popeye topic in general:

For any other Popeye fans, there are three DVD sets that include eight restored DVDs full of cartoons, including every B&W Popeye cartoon. When the cartoons went color in 1943, they were being made by a different company (Famous Studios, not Fleischer Studios) and they were not nearly as good anymore (simplier animation and loss of the beautiful drawings of the older cartoons). Then, in the 60s, there were some really terrible Popeye cartoons made for TV. These are the cartoons that people usually tend to have seen before-- which is a true shame. It's the older popeye, which were out-of-print until 2008 that are true treasures and shouldn't be missed by anyone. The Popeye DVD sets are called:

• Popeye The Sailor: 1933-1938: The Complete First Volume
  • Popeye the Sailor: 1938-1940: The Complete Second Volume
  • Popeye the Sailor: 1941-1943: The Complete Third Volume

These DVDs are easy to find (check Amazon), and every Popeye (and perhaps even non-Popeye fan!) should have them! If you enjoy animation and funny, sometimes violent, off-the-wall humor about a character that you thought you knew about, then you should look into these sets. Also read the original Popeye stips by E.C. Segar from 1929-1939; they are some of the best daily comic strips every created.

(I bet that you can hardly tell I'm a fan on that lovable, misunderstood, one-eyed sailor, right?)

Haven't watched Popeye for years! Most of my Popeye would have been restricted to what was being showed on TV in the England during the 80s, I think they called it 'The All New Popeye Show'!

Anyway, I found a Popeye show on one of the cartoon channels yesterday, I set it to record so haven't watched it yet. No idea from which era the cartoons are from though

• Like 1

ok I'll have to watch one too - I used to like them - how did it go "he climbs up the steeple and pees on the people" :grin:

84,540 just made it to round 9 sorry roadrunner you so very nearly had the top score ;) Make a lot of use of the sides in and out up and down; works for the first two layouts but the ship is tricker! Fun game :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Popeye - 17,690

attachicon.gifjoe's popeye - 17,690.png

First tables

Popeye

1st therealbountybob (p) 84,540 12pts

2nd roadrunner (n) 49,180 11pts

3rd McKong (p) 34,620 10pts

4th Sikor (p) 24,320 9pts

5th jblenkle (n) 17,690 8pts

6th JK40001 (p) 13,950 7pts

7th ballyalley (n) 3,300 6pts

;)

Fandal read my comments in Pro© HSC round-up of last season's A-Z of Atari Gaming and he's on the case fixing Upward's Level Editor so we can play levels we create - the guy is currently falling through the floor at the start !

Thanks for moving my score...I don't know how I posted in the other group. I thought I was here.

First tables

Popeye

1st therealbountybob (p) 84,540 12pts
2nd roadrunner (n) 49,180 11pts
3rd McKong (p) 34,620 10pts

4th Sikor (p) 24,320 9pts
5th jblenkle (n) 17,690 8pts

6th JK40001 (p) 13,950 7pts
7th ballyalley (n) 3,300 6pts
;)

Thanks for moving my score...I don't know how I posted in the other group. I thought I was here.

They'll be pleased a few of us are playing the game - nice game would be nice if there was a 4th board but the difficulty does increase nicely to keep it challenging.

The next poll will go on on Sunday so any more suggestions to the games list guys - might have another themed poll (like we had this time - not a theme round), perhaps best game never played in the HSC or Games I don't rate but others seem to like or something - again suggestions welcome :ponder:

I recently bought an AtariMax MyIDE-II flashcart. One of these:

post-4925-0-21583100-1441992438_thumb.jpg

You can read about them here:

http://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

Somehow, I didn't realize that it used Compact Flash memory, I thought it used SD cards. However, I had a 1GB Compact Flash card laying around from a very old (10+ years) camera that I used to have many years ago. Back then, a 1GB card was huge. For an Atari 8-Bit... that is still a huge amount of "disk" space-- more than I'll ever use. In the early 90s, I had a 20MB hard drive on an old ST-- and it worked well enough for me. So 1GB? Awesome!

I was pretty-sure that I had read that the MyIDE II could use 16K bankswitched carts (all bankswitched carts, I think). I formatted the Compact Flash, placed it in my computer, and copied the 16K cart image of the "Popeye arcade port to it. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was worth a try. I boot up the Atari and... it worked!

Now I can play the Atari 5200 port of "Popeye" on real hardware. Way to go, AtariMax!

• Like 1

I recently bought an AtariMax MyIDE-II flashcart. One of these:

attachicon.gifAtariMax My-IDE II.jpg

You can read about them here:

http://www.atarimax.com/myide/documentation/

Somehow, I didn't realize that it used Compact Flash memory, I thought it used SD cards. However, I had a 1GB Compact Flash card laying around from a very old (10+ years) camera that I used to have many years ago. Back then, a 1GB card was huge. For an Atari 8-Bit... that is still a huge amount of "disk" space-- more than I'll ever use. In the early 90s, I had a 20MB hard drive on an old ST-- and it worked well enough for me. So 1GB? Awesome!

I was pretty-sure that I had read that the MyIDE II could use 16K bankswitched carts (all bankswitched carts, I think). I formatted the Compact Flash, placed it in my computer, and copied the 16K cart image of the "Popeye arcade port to it. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was worth a try. I boot up the Atari and... it worked!

Now I can play the Atari 5200 port of "Popeye" on real hardware. Way to go, AtariMax!

I have one on the way too! I ordered it earlier in the week. I'll be getting back into the HSC once it arrives. :)

• Like 1