IGNORED

Team Pixelboy News Bulletin - September 11th 2015

Pixelboy

Hello ColecoVision fans!

Welcome to another Team Pixelboy News Bulletin, which is mainly to give you guys and gals an update on what's happening.

OFFICIALLY RELEASED, MORE OR LESS...

Today marks the official release day of the following games:

• Front Line SCE
  • Boxxle
  • Spelunker
  • The Stone of Wisdom
  • Knightmare
However, the term "official" doesn't carry a lot of weight this time around, because I haven't actually received the cartridge PCBs of Knightmare yet (except for one single test PCB) and I was only able to prepare a few copies of Boxxle. This coming Sunday, I will contact roughly 20 customers who pre-ordered some games but not Knightmare. This will allow me to get a small head start with order processing while I wait for the Knightmare PCBs to arrive. If all goes according to plan, all orders (or at least the great majority of them) will have been shipped by the end of this month.

As you may recall, the prices I set for each of these new games (for pre-ordering purposes) were approximations based on past experience. I'm happy to report that my estimates were mostly right on the money. Only Boxxle and Knightmare saw their final sales price increased by one single dollar, and I will ask my customers to pay this little extra together with the shipping fees. Hopefully my pricing estimates for the Christmas games will be just as accurate. :)

UPDATES TO THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE

I invite you to visit teampixelboy.com and see some new goodies:

• The five latest releases moved from the "Ongoing" section to the "Completed" section, on the front page
  • Images of the boxes for all the games to be released this Christmas (look in the "project story" sections for bigger images)
  • New beauty shots of ALL my released games (look in the "project status" section of each game) including beauty shots that were long overdue for Joust, Subroc Super Game, The Goonies and TwinBee.
  • Minor updates in the "project status" section of upcoming games.
So lots of little things worth checking out... :)

SLIGHT RESHUFFLING OF THE RELEASE SCHEDULE

If you pre-ordered some games from me since last May, or if you've been following what's happening with Team Pixelboy at the very least, you know that I've split up all my upcoming releases into three groups. As stated above, today is the release day of the first group, the next group will be released this Christmas, and the last group will be released in spring 2016. At least that was the initial plan...

The plan hasn't changed much, but certain developments made me reshuffle a few titles around. Here's the current release schedule, as of today:

Christmas 2015:

• Ghostbusters
  • Super Pac-Man
  • Caos Begins
  • Majikazo
  • Knight Lore
  • Mappy
  • Rally-X
  • Gauntlet
  • Mecha-9
  • Operation Wolf
Spring 2016:
  • Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space
  • Secret of the Moai
  • C-So!
  • King & Balloon
Fall 2016:
  • Mystery game #1
  • Mystery game #2
  • Jewel Panic
Ghostbusters could not be released this month because some annoying bugs were discovered during beta-testing which have still not been fixed. They will likely be fixed between now and Christmas. Operation Wolf was moved from spring 2016 to Christmas 2015 because the game itself is practically done (just some beta-testing to do on it) and I was able to acquire the artwork I needed for the box template. Space Shuttle was moved from 2015 to 2016 to give me more time to work on the manuals of the ten games to be released this Christmas.

As for the two mystery games, there was a misunderstanding between myself and the authors of those games: They thought April 2016 was the target month for finishing their games, but no, April was to be the month where the games were supposed to be released! Both programmers immediately told me that they were not going to be able to finish their respective game to meet the actual (end-of-January) deadline. But since they are both eager to not let their games become vaporware, I decided to push back the release of their games to fall 2016 to give them a chance to get the job done. The same story applies to Jewel Panic, because I'm the programmer of that game and I too will probably be unable to work on the game between now and next spring. Getting the other games on my release schedule ready on time will take up all my free time.

By the way, I'm hoping that I will be authorized to reveal what the mystery games are this coming Christmas, and I may have some other good news to report as well. But Christmas is still several months away... ;)

FUNNY ANECDOTE

Just yesterday, I was reviewing my expense logs for my past ColecoVision releases, and I discovered that I never included the cost of the controller overlays in the price of Buck Rogers Super Game! This means all the people who bought the game got the overlays for free! This mistake made me lose hundreds of dollars! I haven't changed the pricing on Buck Rogers Super Game yet, but I will for the next batch, if there is one.

This concludes this Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We now return you to your regular forum activities. :)

• Like 10

Hello ColecoVision fans!

Welcome to another Team Pixelboy News Bulletin, which is mainly to give you guys and gals an update on what's happening.

OFFICIALLY RELEASED, MORE OR LESS...

Today marks the official release day of the following games:

• Front Line SCE
  • Boxxle
  • Spelunker
  • The Stone of Wisdom
  • Knightmare
However, the term "official" doesn't carry a lot of weight this time around, because I haven't actually received the cartridge PCBs of Knightmare yet (except for one single test PCB) and I was only able to prepare a few copies of Boxxle. This coming Sunday, I will contact roughly 20 customers who pre-ordered some games but not Knightmare. This will allow me to get a small head start with order processing while I wait for the Knightmare PCBs to arrive. If all goes according to plan, all orders (or at least the great majority of them) will have been shipped by the end of this month.

As you may recall, the prices I set for each of these new games (for pre-ordering purposes) were approximations based on past experience. I'm happy to report that my estimates were mostly right on the money. Only Boxxle and Knightmare saw their final sales price increased by one single dollar, and I will ask my customers to pay this little extra together with the shipping fees. Hopefully my pricing estimates for the Christmas games will be just as accurate. :)

UPDATES TO THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE

I invite you to visit teampixelboy.com and see some new goodies:

• The five latest releases moved from the "Ongoing" section to the "Completed" section, on the front page
  • Images of the boxes for all the games to be released this Christmas (look in the "project story" sections for bigger images)
  • New beauty shots of ALL my released games (look in the "project status" section of each game) including beauty shots that were long overdue for Joust, Subroc Super Game, The Goonies and TwinBee.
  • Minor updates in the "project status" section of upcoming games.
So lots of little things worth checking out... :)

SLIGHT RESHUFFLING OF THE RELEASE SCHEDULE

If you pre-ordered some games from me since last May, or if you've been following what's happening with Team Pixelboy at the very least, you know that I've split up all my upcoming releases into three groups. As stated above, today is the release day of the first group, the next group will be released this Christmas, and the last group will be released in spring 2016. At least that was the initial plan...

The plan hasn't changed much, but certain developments made me reshuffle a few titles around. Here's the current release schedule, as of today:

Christmas 2015:

• Ghostbusters
  • Super Pac-Man
  • Caos Begins
  • Majikazo
  • Knight Lore
  • Mappy
  • Rally-X
  • Gauntlet
  • Mecha-9
  • Operation Wolf
Spring 2016:
  • Space Shuttle - A Journey Into Space
  • C-So!
  • King & Balloon
Fall 2016:
  • Mystery game #1
  • Mystery game #2
  • Jewel Panic
Ghostbusters could not be released this month because some annoying bugs were discovered during beta-testing which have still not been fixed. They will likely be fixed between now and Christmas. Operation Wolf was moved from spring 2016 to Christmas 2015 because the game itself is practically done (just some beta-testing to do on it) and I was able to acquire the artwork I needed for the box template. Space Shuttle was moved from 2015 to 2016 to give me more time to work on the manuals of the ten games to be released this Christmas.

As for the two mystery games, there was a misunderstanding between myself and the authors of those games: They thought April 2016 was the target month for finishing their games, but no, April was to be the month where the games were supposed to be released! Both programmers immediately told me that they were not going to be able to finish their respective game to meet the actual (end-of-January) deadline. But since they are both eager to not let their games become vaporware, I decided to push back the release of their games to fall 2016 to give them a chance to get the job done. The same story applies to Jewel Panic, because I'm the programmer of that game and I too will probably be unable to work on the game between now and next spring. Getting the other games on my release schedule ready on time will take up all my free time.

By the way, I'm hoping that I will be authorized to reveal what the mystery games are this coming Christmas, and I may have some other good news to report as well. But Christmas is still several months away... ;)

FUNNY ANECDOTE

Just yesterday, I was reviewing my expense logs for my past ColecoVision releases, and I discovered that I never included the cost of the controller overlays in the price of Buck Rogers Super Game! This means all the people who bought the game got the overlays for free! This mistake made me lose hundreds of dollars! I haven't changed the pricing on Buck Rogers Super Game yet, but I will for the next batch, if there is one.

This concludes this Team Pixelboy News Bulletin. We now return you to your regular forum activities. :)

Ill be sending more money soon lol

Totally awesome update as usual Luc! Looking forward to the September/October releases!

Just one question though (and please fill me in if I'm missing something here)...

Are we missing Secret of the Moai?

I have that one listed in my Group #3 request.

Cheers as always!

I knew I forgot something... Can you guess I was a little tired last night, after spending the day taking pictures and working on web site updates? :P

I fixed the first post to add Secret of the Moai.

Good catch! Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Exciting stuff as usual!

In mid-April, Luc approached me to create the box art for Team Pixelboy's Colecovision port of Knight Lore. I delivered the final version in mid-May.

http://tygerbug.deviantart.com/art/Knight-Lore-533373239

There was a lot of history which inspired and informed the way the characters were portrayed.

The 1984 isometric game, ported from the MSX by Riddler, stars Sabreman, an adventurer and part-time werewolf who also starred in such 80s Rare games as Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde and Pentagram. Sabreman was clearly a Rare mascot character. He would have returned on the XBOX in Rare's game Sabreman Stampede, but the game was cancelled. Sabreman had a cameo in "Banjo-Tooie," and starred in "Sabre Wulf" for the Game Boy Advance. Sabre Wulf is also a star of the Killer Instinct series.

These early games were rereleased in 2015 in the Rare Replay collection, but in their promo art Sabreman was depicted as the tiny, indistinct pixel art from the 80s games rather than the redesigns he received later. I wanted to show a more definitive Sabreman, with something approximating his cartoony looks from the N64 and XBox eras.

The werewolf and wizard took a more realistic tone, though I redrew the wizard to have more cartoony proportions (still based on his posing in the original game's art).

The game has been remade unofficially several times for modern platforms. Its isometric gameplay where you explore dangerous rooms in an extensive dungeon may remind you of NES titles like Solstice (though the actual Famicom version of Knight Lore by Jaleco isn't super accurate).

Much of the background was rendered in 3D via Poser using existing models, and then heavily reworked in Photoshop. The logo was recreated first in Photoshop then in 3D via Poser.

http://teampixelboy.com/knight_lore.php

Edited by tygerbug
  • Like 3

Awaiting email for shipping! Can`t wait to play some new games!

I've received a few cartridge PCBs of Knightmare, and I contacted a few customers about their orders, but I'm still waiting for the greater bulk of those PCBs, which should be delivered within a few weeks. Once I receive them, I'll do my best to put those PCBs in their casings, and then put the assembled cartridges in their boxes, so that I can finally complete the processing and shipping of all the pending orders. I really wanted to have all the order processing finished by the end of September, but it's just not going to happen, sadly. :(

I've received a few cartridge PCBs of Knightmare, and I contacted a few customers about their orders, but I'm still waiting for the greater bulk of those PCBs, which should be delivered within a few weeks. Once I receive them, I'll do my best to put those PCBs in their casings, and then put the assembled cartridges in their boxes, so that I can finally complete the processing and shipping of all the pending orders. I really wanted to have all the order processing finished by the end of September, but it's just not going to happen, sadly. :(

Thanks for the update!

Hey Luc! any updates on when you might start shipping a few games?

Still waiting for the Knightmare PCBs. Over the next couple of days, I'm going to glue together the rest of the Knightmare boxes, and I'm also going to assemble+test the rest of the Boxxle carts. After both those jobs are done, all that will remain will be to assemble the Knightmare carts, and then I'll have roughly 75 customers to contact.

Still waiting for the Knightmare PCBs. Over the next couple of days, I'm going to glue together the rest of the Knightmare boxes, and I'm also going to assemble+test the rest of the Boxxle carts. After both those jobs are done, all that will remain will be to assemble the Knightmare carts, and then I'll have roughly 75 customers to contact.

Thanks

I have been playing Boxxle the last couple of days and I'll have my review up sometime next week, but I just want to put it out there that this may very well end up being my favorite homebrew game yet! From the packaging, overlay, the game itself, being able to save your best times and create, edit and save custom levels, everything about this game is just *perfect* and I think epitomizes what a homebrew game should be! The bar has been raised!

• Like 4