IGNORED

Question about attaching a video

Chris++

I guess I should know this, but hell, I'm not afraid of asking potentially retarded questions. Is it possible to attach a short video to a post (either .WMV or .AVI), or is it merely a link that's valid?

I figured I'd ask before starting a thread and then asking that it be deleted if it didn't work. Thanks!

There are two issues.

First, the forum only allows attachments of certain types. I could add .wmv or .avi as allowable types, which would get around that issue.

The second issue, though, is that of file size. Videos are fairly large, and the maximum attachment size is fairly small compared to most videos. There are tens of thousands of attachments on AtariAge (both in public posts and private messages), and they add up fairly quickly in size. Allowing videos could potentially cause this to blossom quite a bit. So, it's probably best to upload videos to YouTube or another video streaming service.

How large is the video you want to upload?

..Al

Understood completely. It's just a funny thing I was going to share in the 2600 forum -- not important by any definition, but potentially amusing.

The original .WMV file is 28.3 MB. I converted it to .AVI in case that worked better for posting -- that one is just under 6 MB.

(I don't have a YouTube account.)

Thanks for the reply!

Doesn't have to involve money - dealing with Google's shenanigans was too expensive for me.

They changed that real name policy. They let me use my YouTube username this year, so I did. Now I can leave comments under videos if I want and the only side effect is that I have an unused Google+ page sitting there in Internet land.

Google thought forcing YouTube users to get a Google+ account would help Google+ become the next Facebook, but everyone knows that Google+ sucks, so it's not going to happen. If people sign up and only use it for commenting at YouTube, It's like giving the finger to Google. They can eat a moist poo sandwich with extra chunks of corn.

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, tane said:

How can you embed a video in the new forum (2019)?

It's as easy as posting the link and it gives you the option to embed it or leave it as a link. You can even have the embedded video start playing at the position you choose now. It used to ignore that information.

3 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

It's as easy as posting the link and it gives you the option to embed it or leave it as a link. You can even have the embedded video start playing at the position you choose now. It used to ignore that information.

I recently did a post here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292556-altirra-320-released/page/5/#comments

I uploaded an avi file, and when I was editing the post, it was showing a YouTube like embedded screen, like the following image, but now it only shows an attached file.

Image1.png.c89b5254cbbe8d848b4ead84c6d9c4e0.png

17 minutes ago, tane said:

I recently did a post here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/292556-altirra-320-released/page/5/#comments

I uploaded an avi file, and when I was editing the post, it was showing a YouTube like embedded screen, like the following image, but now it only shows an attached file.

Image1.png.c89b5254cbbe8d848b4ead84c6d9c4e0.png

I thought you were talking about YouTube. Most people upload a video to YouTube, then embed it.

Yes, I still recommend uploading videos to a third-party service like YouTube or Vimeo.  While the forum does now allow direct uploads of videos, they are limited to 100MB in size.  The amount of public/private attachments in the forum already represents a rather large amount of data that has to be backed up (keep in mind the forum has been online nearly 20 years, and I have never pruned attachments or posts). Adding videos to the mix could make this a considerably heavier burden.

Embedding videos from YouTube and Vimeo (and probably other services) is as simple as just pasting in the link while composing a message. The editor should recognize the link and immediately embed the video while you're composing your post.

..Al