IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Audio/Video Issues

Airsoftman819

Hey I need some help... My beloved sears telegames sunnyvale heavy sixer console has ran into some issues with it's audio/video output. So at first it would only display black and white, the color switch had no effect. No matter what position it was in, it was always black and white. Turned it off and on a few times and the color came back, but it was still very dull. Color switch still had no effect. As of now it displays very fuzzy and dull color. And has no sound. Tried different games, different televisions, even different video wires. Nothing helps... I suspect an internal issue with the console... Please Help! I want to get her working again.

It's the long black chip on the bottom of the board. If you have some soldering skills, you will need to desolder it and replace it with a newer one. They are sold on the Atari Best Electronics site for about $10.

attachicon.gifimages-13.jpeg

Really? My Light Sixer and 4-Switch Woody both have socketed chips. If you don't have a chip-puller, you can use a slender flat-bladed fine screwdriver and work it under one end of the chip and very gently lever the chip about a third of the way up, repeat on the other end to get it out. Be careful and do it from both sides to avoid bending or potentially breaking off any of the pins.

• Like 1

Really? My Light Sixer and 4-Switch Woody both have socketed chips. If you don't have a chip-puller, you can use a slender flat-bladed fine screwdriver and work it under one end of the chip and very gently lever the chip about a third of the way up, repeat on the other end to get it out. Be careful and do it from both sides to avoid bending or potentially breaking off any of the pins.

I never had TIA chip problems. I thought it would be something that could be desoldered. I wasn't sure if pulling it out required a lot of force. And if so it would crack the motherboard. Thanks! :)

I never had TIA chip problems. I thought it would be something that could be desoldered. I wasn't sure if pulling it out required a lot of force. And if so it would crack the motherboard. Thanks! :)

No need to desolder the chip - just work it out of the socket like I said above. That's why these systems were socketed anyway - ease of repair. Pretty much all the main chips on Atari, Inc. stuff - videogames and computers, as well as peripherals - were socketed. Stuff was too expensive to throw away when it broke, and when you're the service guy doing the repair, time is money. :) It was only later on when price-reduced versions of systems became necessary that Atari went to soldering the main chips directly to the board rather than using sockets. Here's a closeup of the TIA on my Light Sixer. A Heavy should be similar.

post-30400-0-84340100-1442443970_thumb.jpg

No need to desolder the chip - just work it out of the socket like I said above. That's why these systems were socketed anyway - ease of repair. Pretty much all the main chips on Atari, Inc. stuff - videogames and computers, as well as peripherals - were socketed. Stuff was too expensive to throw away when it broke, and when you're the service guy doing the repair, time is money. :) It was only later on when price-reduced versions of systems became necessary that Atari went to soldering the main chips directly to the board rather than using sockets. Here's a closeup of the TIA on my Light Sixer. A Heavy should be similar.

attachicon.gifIMG_4358.JPG

My chip looks identical. I'm just worried I will replace it and it wont be the problem.. In you're opinion do you think its the problem? That way I have at least 2 professional opinions.

Honestly I don't know. I'd either start working my way through the troubleshooting steps in the Atari VCS Field Service Manual, or hope zylon sees this thread and chimes in. He's the man when it comes to VCS/2600 problem solving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't know. I'd either start working my way through the troubleshooting steps in the Atari VCS Field Service Manual, or hope zylon sees this thread and chimes in. He's the man when it comes to VCS/2600 problem solving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replaced the chip... Did not fix the issue sadly. The console isn't in the best of cosmetic condition anyway. I'm just going to part it out and cut my losses. My main console dude has gotten an Atari branded heavy sixer for me that is much nicer. So all is well.

Well that's really too bad. I wouldn't part it out though if it were me. I'd keep it and do as much of a cosmetic restoration as possible and then work on getting it actually working. SOMETHING isn't right but it can almost certainly be fixed pretty easily once you narrow down the problem. Photos of the boards would help, as would checking a few basic things with a multimeter.

• Like 1

Hey I need some help... My beloved sears telegames sunnyvale heavy sixer console has ran into some issues with it's audio/video output. So at first it would only display black and white, the color switch had no effect. No matter what position it was in, it was always black and white. Turned it off and on a few times and the color came back, but it was still very dull. Color switch still had no effect. As of now it displays very fuzzy and dull color. And has no sound. Tried different games, different televisions, even different video wires. Nothing helps... I suspect an internal issue with the console... Please Help! I want to get her working again.

RF modulator is dead.

• Like 1

I'd hang on to the Sears Heavy Sixer. I think down the road you will get the RF modulator fixed. And also that's great you are getting an Atari branded Heavy Sixer! :) Glad Zylon got to see the thread and diagnose the problem. He is a valuable asset to the AA community and can easily diagnose what is wrong with 2600's, 5200's, and 7800's. Good luck with your new Atari Heavy Sixer. :) You will enjoy it!

:-D

• Like 1

That should be the channel 3 only modulator with only 3 pins. I have some of those "used" if you need/want one.

Thank you for the offer Zylon. But I have donated the console to my local retro games store. In exchange I was given a great deal on a CIB Atari branded Heavy Sixer. I'll take a pic of it in a sec. It's pretty sweet.

I'd hang on to the Sears Heavy Sixer. I think down the road you will get the RF modulator fixed. And also that's great you are getting an Atari branded Heavy Sixer! :) Glad Zylon got to see the thread and diagnose the problem. He is a valuable asset to the AA community and can easily diagnose what is wrong with 2600's, 5200's, and 7800's. Good luck with your new Atari Heavy Sixer. :) You will enjoy it!

:-D

Thank you for the offer Zylon. But I have donated the console to my local retro games store. In exchange I was given a great deal on a CIB Atari branded Heavy Sixer. I'll take a pic of it in a sec. It's pretty sweet.

Well that's really too bad. I wouldn't part it out though if it were me. I'd keep it and do as much of a cosmetic restoration as possible and then work on getting it actually working. SOMETHING isn't right but it can almost certainly be fixed pretty easily once you narrow down the problem. Photos of the boards would help, as would checking a few basic things with a multimeter.

post-43662-0-34428300-1442643989_thumb.jpg

post-43662-0-27425000-1442644023_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome Heavy Sixer that is a beauty! Keep her forever and cherish it. Heavy Sixers are flat out awesome and you will not be disappointed with it. One more question. Does it have the channel select switch on the bottom? If so it's a 1978 model Heavy, if no channel select switch it's a 1977. I can tell by the box I think it's a '78 model Heavy. Most '77 models have the knight chess piece underneath the ST.

post-32978-0-31188400-1442656978.jpeg

Awesome Heavy Sixer that is a beauty! Keep her forever and cherish it. Heavy Sixers are flat out awesome and you will not be disappointed with it. One more question. Does it have the channel select switch on the bottom? If so it's a 1978 model Heavy, if no channel select switch it's a 1977. I can tell by the box I think it's a '78 model Heavy. Most '77 models have the knight chess piece underneath the ST.

attachicon.gif2015-09-19-04-59-45--1450974430.jpeg

No it has no channel select. When I took it apart it looked like a 77 on the inside. But no channel select. It's possible the box is mismatch. Or perhaps its an older stock 77 in a 78 box?