IGNORED

[AVS] HDMI Nes

romeoteknik

Ok, first, I really like the styling, and I genuinely think this will be the first of many "replacement" consoles for these old hunks of junk we all grew up with that people want to replace, especially with hdmi output.

That being said, for nearly 200, how many of you seriously will buy one?

A retro freak costs roughly the same, and does several consoles, including NES/Famicom. And with HDMI output. AND with SD card input for roms.

So just saying.. what's the point of this?

It remains to be seen how good this is.

However, it has the POTENTIAL to be better than the RetroFreak in terms of game fidelity and compatibility with accessories. This could, literally, be an NES for the 21st century, all the charm and none of the warts.

But I've been wrong before.

It remains to be seen how good this is.

However, it has the POTENTIAL to be better than the RetroFreak in terms of game fidelity and compatibility with accessories. This could, literally, be an NES for the 21st century, all the charm and none of the warts.

But I've been wrong before.

I think if this is successful, we could see a lot more of this with other retro consoles that are known to be quite fragile or rare.

Ok, first, I really like the styling, and I genuinely think this will be the first of many "replacement" consoles for these old hunks of junk we all grew up with that people want to replace, especially with hdmi output.

A retro freak costs roughly the same, and does several consoles, including NES/Famicom. And with HDMI output. AND with SD card input for roms.

It looks like it has the ability to display more sprites than a standard NES which is really cool. Can the retro freak do that?

It looks like it has the ability to display more sprites than a standard NES which is really cool. Can the retro freak do that?

I'm assuming this is for it's own games? Why would it need to?

I'd also assume the Retro Freak could display more sprites, as it's powerful enough to emulate other consoles that are much more powerful, such as the Genesis, SNES, and Turbographx.

Zero input lag for one, something no other HD clone system has been able to accomplish yet (extremely important for speedrunners or people that want to play games like Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden well). It also takes flash carts and thus doesn't need a SD card slot. This means I can use my Power Pak or Everdrive N8 on my HD NES out in the main room, then bring that same cart into my gaming room and use it on my original NES on my standard def CRT. Another big point of this product is preservation. It's not software emulation, so this is about as close to the original NES experience as you will get on a modern HD TV without hacking an original console and buying an expensive upscaler.

• Like 3

Zero input lag for one, something no other HD clone system has been able to accomplish yet (extremely important for speedrunners or people that want to play games like Battletoads and Ninja Gaiden well). It also takes flash carts and thus doesn't need a SD card slot. This means I can use my Power Pak or Everdrive N8 on my HD NES out in the main room, then bring that same cart into my gaming room and use it on my original NES on my standard def CRT. Another big point of this product is preservation. It's not software emulation, so this is about as close to the original NES experience as you will get on a modern HD TV without hacking an original console and buying an expensive upscaler.

Touche, valid points. :)

I do like that it's essentially new old hardware. I'm curious though if it'll be interchangeable with NES parts, ie: with the 32 pin connector, once this one wears out.

• Like 2

At Midwest Gaming Classic the guys behind the"Haunted: Halloween 1985" NES game had the AVS running on the table. One of the developers said it was on loan and said he loved it. And as I played their game on the system, I loved it too.

It has no lag and the control is butter smooth and the video is delicious. 200 bones for a modern NES that will play my homebrew and hacked cartridges AND play my Famicom games? Worth it to me.

• Like 2

Why would you need a replacement then? Just use an existing NES.

Because they never load and burn through pin connectors like it's their job. Because they don't have native Famicom support. Because literally all of the NES consoles in my area always look like they've been stored in someone's anus. Etc, etc, etc...

Because they never load and burn through pin connectors like it's their job. Because they don't have native Famicom support. Because literally all of the NES consoles in my area always look like they've been stored in someone's anus. Etc, etc, etc...

Open them up and fix them? A clean 72-pin and clean carts is pretty reliable. Blinking Light Win is another solution for that. If you are paranoid swapping carts will be an issue eventually, then a flash cart that you never have to take out of the system works too, and it can store and play Famicom and FDS games as well. The point is, there are a lot of things you can do to make an existing NES extremely reliable.

I do agree that it would be nice to have a solid standard-def replacement other than the crap clone systems already on the market. Then again, it would be more expensive and is there as much of a market for it as a HD version? I think the people that are hardcore enough to have a BVM will have already handled the console's issues in one way or another, same with people in this day and age still rocking standard def TVs.

• Like 1

Open them up and fix them? Get a flash cart? Get a Famicom converter? There are a lot of things you can do to make an existing NES extremely reliable.

I've opened them up many times. The new chinese made pin connectors don't last long at all, and it gets annoying to replace them

I'd rather not deal with converters, as they're bulky. I like an all in one or region free system, and I've owned flash carts but don't like them very much. Takes something out of the experience, for me.

I'm sure there's a lot you can do, but it's not really worth all the effort. The hardware simply isn't aging well unlike nearly every other cart based system out there. And like I said before, it doesn't help with the other issue... all of the ones locally looking like horrible, horrible messes cosmetically, especially the controllers which are always worn out to all heck and back.

I'm sure there's a lot you can do, but it's not really worth all the effort. The hardware simply isn't aging well unlike nearly every other cart based system out there. And like I said before, it doesn't help with the other issue... all of the ones locally looking like horrible, horrible messes cosmetically, especially the controllers which are always worn out to all heck and back.

The NES is aging fine and the issues with it have been known since the NES was a hot commodity on the market, it's nothing new. When you know how to fix them and keep them clean, they are solid. Also, I was apparently editing my post while you were making yours, feel free to check it again. :)

Per your point about the BVM bit, I agree. Seriously, I am one of those "must own the real hardware" guys, through and through. I hate clone consoles with a passion.

But the NES, while I grew up with it, I only ever owned a handful of games. Yes, there are many others out there that are good. But for the most part, the NES, for me, was those 5-6 games. That's it. That's all I really care about. Couple that in with a system, which for me, I find to be a HUGE bother, it's just not really worth it for me to have real hardware. That and I think the top loader is extremely ugly, where as this one is actually attractive. I rather dig it, to be honest with you. The toaster was annoying back then, and still is today. And for such a small library that I'm personally concerned about, dealing with that annoying hardware isn't worth my time.

Now the Sharp Twin... THAT'S a Nintendo worth owning. I used to have one, and stupidly sold it. I'm considering rebuying it, and just getting fami versions of my beloved games. But, again, cost vs reward. Do I need a 200 dollar plus system for 5-6 games?

Eh...

For me, I didn't start spending my own money on games until the SNES and N64. That's when I really started to play a ton of games, so emotionally I'm more tied to those titles. And my BVM setup is very small. I have everything I own on a projection cart. So space is an issue. Owning a system for 5 games just isn't economical.

To be totally honest with you, I just remembered I have one of those NES discs lying around somewhere that play on the Dreamcast, and I just got another Rev 0 DC. I think that just solved my issue...

Edited by MotoRacer

To be totally honest with you, I just remembered I have one of those NES discs lying around somewhere that play on the Dreamcast, and I just got another Rev 0 DC. I think that just solved my issue...

it's just not really worth it for me to have real hardware.

I was about to say then.. Why even bother with any hardware at all? It's either, A) going to be crap (i.e., cheap clone systems), or B) be more trouble than it's worth to you. Just emulate and call it a day. No one is going to shame you for it. :lolblue: