1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Oh wow.... that is horrible news, I had no idea. I just recently preordered the Analogue NT Mini due to the idea of future core updates. This really sucks...

What sort of paid project did he get hired for though? I thought he turned down Coleco?

sorry, I have to pay the bills somehow :-) I still plan on releasing intv for the nt mini though. It's just going to be a little while longer. It's fully done but it needs to be ported to the nt mini system itself. Right now I'm pulling 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week so there's little time to do anything else unfortunately.

• Like 1

sorry, I have to pay the bills somehow :-) I still plan on releasing intv for the nt mini though. It's just going to be a little while longer. It's fully done but it needs to be ported to the nt mini system itself. Right now I'm pulling 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week so there's little time to do anything else unfortunately.

Please kev, add PC Engine / Turbografx core at the list ! :)

Yum yum... :party:

• Like 1

How dare you sleep? The nerve of some people!

Oh wow.... that is horrible news, I had no idea. I just recently preordered the Analogue NT Mini due to the idea of future core updates. This really sucks...

What sort of paid project did he get hired for though? I thought he turned down Coleco?

Seems like it is a fpga capable of doing the snes. Considering he hasn't told us it isn't a future fpga project and that the Game-Tech guy confirmed he is under a nda and he could tell us to stfu about fpgas if it wasn't a fpga he was working on that confirms he is working on one (Or just super incredibly evil and I don't buy that).

But anyways the jailbroken cores are all extras and you are not entitled to any of that. All of them are freebies Kev provided because he is awesome and are not included in the nt mini's price tag. He gets nothing for them and does it all on his own time and is super overworked.

Just keep swimming, you got this.

Please kev, add PC Engine / Turbografx core at the list ! icon_smile.gif

Yum yum... icon_partyhat.gif

While that might be possible on the Nt that would require a lot of work and would be a lot easier to do on a snes capable fpga so in the interest of conserving his time I think he should save his efforts for when that comes out.

While that might be possible on the Nt that would require a lot of work and would be a lot easier to do on a snes capable fpga so in the interest of conserving his time I think he should save his efforts for when that comes out.

Right. And I'd rather see Kevtris fix the few remaining bugs in his existing cores (I'm mostly thinking Mega Man Xtreme on GBC when I say this) and then create a core for the Vectrex. Even a barebones core with no antialiasing on the vectors would do nicely. Not sure how much trouble it would be to support virtual screen overlays...

• Like 1

Right. And I'd rather see Kevtris fix the few remaining bugs in his existing cores (I'm mostly thinking Mega Man Xtreme on GBC when I say this) and then create a core for the Vectrex. Even a barebones core with no antialiasing on the vectors would do nicely. Not sure how much trouble it would be to support virtual screen overlays...

An the Famicom Disk System (FDS) emulation!

Yes too many things... but possible! :)

The PC Engine/ Turbo Gfx would be amazeballs. Especially since the setup I've looked into getting for such a machine (a nice condition Duo-R with an EverDrice) would cost me quite a bit of money. This alone makes it very worth it. If that were possible I'd buy the NT without a thought. And the Super NES is a given (my personal fave console of all time).

But yeah, the TG16/PC Engine is a super expensive system to collect for and the hardware often needs fixes so for both gamers and preservation efforts this must be high on Kevtris's giant long list of things to do!!

I personally believe the monochrome games look great without the faux color overlays.

As of this post, here are two facts: 1) Kevtris has not revealed to the community what he is currently working on; 2) It may be related to video gaming, or it may not be. Thats about it. Everything else is just conjecture. It is quite humorous to see people post authoritatively about what they think he is doing and arguing about it. There isn't enough good information and facts.

Does Atari 7800 mode support Pokey audio, example for DK PK game?

Does SMS support FM audio?

Is the black NT mini back in stock?

Answers to the first 2 questions: Yes.

Answer to the 3rd question as of this post: No. The NT Mini is currently in pre-order status. You can check on that here: https://www.analogue.co/pages/nt-mini

So with the 7800 cart adapter; Bentley Bear, Commando, and Donkey Kong cart with Pokey audio chip in the cart will have Pokey audio?

Anyway to emulate Pokey in FPGA so rom file could be used?

Right now it has built in pokey for those games, but it can theoretically use external audio, too from a cartridge via the adapter

• Like 2

kevtris, a little off topic, but a question about the Hi-Def NES. I have one of the prototype ones (before you made the adjustments to allow both old composite out and the HDMI) and it is up to the latest firmware. My question is, I just got a copy of Arkanoid with the Vaus controller (the spinner knob). On my flatscreen, with HDMI out, I spin the controller and the paddle in the game seems to take a bit longer to move to the spot. The controller seems to be working 100% other than this delay. So, my question is, is the delay due to TV or HDMI mod lag, or is it potentially something wrong with the controller? No other game I play seems to exhibit lag, but then again, I'm not champion player. I have my HDTV set to game mode with all extras turned off to reduce TV processing lag, but of course there could be something else in there. It just seems crazy how much slower the paddle moves on the HDTV. Of course the composite out is no longer working, so I have no way of testing it without the HDMI system.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to repair the controller or hopefully it's something easier to fix. Thanks again for all the hard work you've done, and I'm eagerly looking forward to your next project!

Edited by XtraSmiley

. Of course the composite out is no longer working, so I have no way of testing it without the HDMI system.

Sounds like a warranty issue.

As for the lag, some HDTVs are just bad for gaming. I use a PC monitor, and I would recommend anyone specifically interested in gaming who doesn't need a 55" display get a 16:9 monitor instead. Unfortunately PC monitors are very hard to find bigger than 30". Stay away from the "ultra-wide" 64:27 crap (21:9 is techically inaccurate for a 2560:1080p dispay, as nothing is divisible by 21, also it's an improper fraction which would be 7:3 in it'sreduced form - sorry pet peeve of mine).

Sounds like a warranty issue.

As for the lag, some HDTVs are just bad for gaming. I use a PC monitor, and I would recommend anyone specifically interested in gaming who doesn't need a 55" display get a 16:9 monitor instead. Unfortunately PC monitors are very hard to find bigger than 30". Stay away from the "ultra-wide" 64:27 crap (21:9 is techically inaccurate for a 2560:1080p dispay, as nothing is divisible by 21, also it's an improper fraction which would be 7:3 in it'sreduced form - sorry pet peeve of mine).

No, it's not a warranty issue, not sure what you mean by that? My Hi-Def NES is a prototype one before Kevin made the changes allowing for both HDMI and composite out, so there is nothing wrong with my system or mod, at least from what I can see. That's why I'm asking the question here, because I know Kevin checks out these forums.

Now, if it's just a matter of the NES via HDMI on a flat screen has enough lag that I can really sense it with the paddle controller, ok, I'll take that answer an live with it, I'm just asking the question.

kevtris, a little off topic, but a question about the Hi-Def NES. I have one of the prototype ones (before you made the adjustments to allow both old composite out and the HDMI) and it is up to the latest firmware. My question is, I just got a copy of Arkanoid with the Vaus controller (the spinner knob). On my flatscreen, with HDMI out, I spin the controller and the paddle in the game seems to take a bit longer to move to the spot. The controller seems to be working 100% other than this delay. So, my question is, is the delay due to TV or HDMI mod lag, or is it potentially something wrong with the controller? No other game I play seems to exhibit lag, but then again, I'm not champion player. I have my HDTV set to game mode with all extras turned off to reduce TV processing lag, but of course there could be something else in there. It just seems crazy how much slower the paddle moves on the HDTV. Of course the composite out is no longer working, so I have no way of testing it without the HDMI system.

I'm just trying to figure out if I need to repair the controller or hopefully it's something easier to fix. Thanks again for all the hard work you've done, and I'm eagerly looking forward to your next project!

it always allows composite, but I did make a change to add the buffer transistor on the interposer because the impedance of the video pin is extremely high. without this buffering it's possible to get a "rolling" picture. Before the transistor was added it just used the on-board one that is connected to the video pin, and this was enough to upset the operation. It's just a copy of the circuit on the nes board pretty much but the connection between the video pin and transistor is extremely short now so it works out better.

as for the paddle controller, I don't know. there shouldn't be a change using it on the hi def vs. without.

• Like 1

as for the paddle controller, I don't know. there shouldn't be a change using it on the hi def vs. without.

I didn't want to focus on the composite thing, like I said, this is an early chip and I don't care, I don't use composite.

My real question is about the delay I'm seeing using the paddle controller. So Kevtris you're saying there shouldn't be a delay with the HDMI out? Maybe my paddle controller has problems?

No worries, I totally understand. It's certainly a bummer that you won't be working on fine tuning the cores for a while but it is what it is. If the cores were all as accurate as the NES one is now then it wouldn't be a worry, but you know us nerds, we strive for that 100% accuracy. That's would just be a dream come true... one single system that can play all of these great 8 Bit games with 100% accuracy, or at least as close to 100% as possible. Maybe one day...

But yeah, totally understand that you have your own life to live and family to take care of, and it's kinda hard to complain after how much you have given us, you certainly did your part and I don't think anyone can say otherwise.

Edited by Skins4thewin

Just wanted to share this article since I remember it being mentioned that the Gameboy core on the NT mini has some current issues with this game, and there may be helpful information here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/727dqd/sameboy_010_preview_emulating_pinball_deluxe/

Also since I brought up the topic of the Gameboy cores, I noticed the noise channels for Shantae sounds a bit off. It uses them as percussion, but comparing them to my GBC + everdrive gb, the NT mini sounds a bit more like static than percussion. :P Probably wouldn't have noticed unless my brother pointed it out, though.

At any rate, I know it'll be quite some time before this can even be looked at, and I'm definitely ok with that. Thanks for such an awesome product, will be playing it for quite some time, and I'll be sure to buy whatever next FPGA console eventually comes!

I have an Nt Mini pre-ordered right now and in preparation I am gathering cables. In the "Nt Mini Guides" section Analogue links to this cable for RGB https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=566. The monitor I use is a PVM-1354Q which has RGB but with one sync connector (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/2owAAOSwYmZXKAXV/$_1.JPG). The cables that Analogue links have two sync connectors. So, for my monitor would I want a cable like this instead with one sync connector? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=568

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Toth

I have an Nt Mini pre-ordered right now and in preparation I am gathering cables. In the "Nt Mini Guides" section Analogue links to this cable for RGB https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=566. The monitor I use is a PVM-1354Q which has RGB but with one sync connector (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/2owAAOSwYmZXKAXV/$_1.JPG). The cables that Analogue links have two sync connectors. So, for my monitor would I want a cable like this instead with one sync connector? https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=568

Thanks for your help.

The Nt Mini can do RGB with composite sync, separate sync, and sync on green. Each option is available for NTSC and PAL, see the Guide to set the mode. When set to either composite or separate sync, there will be sync signals on both connectors on the two-connector cable. If the sync is separate, the white wire connector will carry horizontal and the black wire connector will carry vertical. If the sync is composite, then both wire connectors will carry combined sync. The 4 BNC should carry composite sync on the black wire connector, but I can't be 100% sure that it is connected to the right pin.

• Like 1