1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Better yet, from the internal sd card directly.

Let's hope if it's jailbroken that they don't just allow Genesis roms to be played off SD card. It wouldn't shock me if that unofficial feature, if it's released post-release, is limited in that way in order to protect sales of the cart adapters for 8-bit Sega platforms.

Yes, but with a mega everdrive x7 you have save states. Jailbroken sd card will not

Edited by RetrogamerX
  • Like 1

How about a plastic Analogue NT Mini? Call it the Analogue NT Micro.

A plastic enclosure, a single 72-pin cart slot (for NES carts only, Famicom carts would be supported via a cartridge adaptor sold separately), two controller ports instead of four (four is overkill in my humble opinion, who uses all four?) and you'd probably have an attractive product much cheaper than the NT Mini. And the name "NT Micro" would fit quite well indeed. :D

After the Mega SG has been released, let's hope they'll revisit the NT Mini before moving on to another FPGA console... although I wouldn't mind a "consolized" GB/GBC/GBA, if it's doable at all. Or perhaps just offer a GB cartridge adaptor with the NT Micro. :)

• Like 1

I know there are doubters, but I suspect you're right and that they'll revisit the NES with a follow-up more in-line with the standards of these most recent two. And if it ever does happen, hopefully it supports all the additional cores that Kevtris released.

Of course the Retro USB AVS fills this hole nicely, but Analogue has built quite a fan-base and many of them are people that couldn't justify the expense of the NT Mini. I don't find it difficult to picture such a product being a success.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

I know there are doubters, but I suspect you're right and that they'll revisit the NES with a follow-up more in-line with the standards of these most recent two. And if it ever does happen, hopefully it supports all the additional cores that Kevtris released.

Of course the Retro USB AVS fills this hole nicely, but Analogue has built quite a fan-base and many of them are people that couldn't justify the expensive of the NT Mini. I don't find it difficult to picture such a product being a success.

I'm hoping it happens as well? If it does it could be a while before we see it.

I just bought a AVS last month and it's been great and it plays everything.

• Like 1

The way I see it, a further revised and cost-reduced Nt would have a speedy development cycle. If they do that instead for the next product cycle it would probably give Kevin more time to work on the firmware side of things for the existing products.

Not sure it would be well-received from the fans who already have an Nt Mini though. From that perspective, there would not be anything to get excited about. All signs point to a slightly revised Nt Mini instead (or first?), so I don’t think it would happen that way.

Okay, it took a day, but I think I figured out how to fully justify this in my mind:

It may not fully replace my current Genesis setup (life without Virtua Racing dx isn't worth living), *but* it's going to be, in theory, the best possible way to play the earlier systems, especially Game Gear. It boasts the advantages of Sega controllers and (hopefully) cart slots over my NT Mini. Bonus if the game gear can display a bit larger than on nt mini.

In my mind, a consolized Game Gear is easily worth $200 every day of the week, and the mega sg even does some other stuff too, to put it mildly.

I really like the old handhelds at 1080p/HDMI since their old, washed-out screens have aged so poorly. Speaking of which Kevtris, are you (or that mysterious stranger with the other jailbreaks), big lynx fans? It's pretty hard to get a good setup going for that, and there are lots of arcade ports on it from an under-appreciated era.

edit: This will also get rid of the recording chop in my genesis videos, as my recorder needs real 60fps, so I have to convert sync from NTSC using the framemeister...and that just cant be unseen once you see it.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm pretty sure a revised NT Mini will come out. All they need to do is remove all the analog inputs and just make it an HDMI only system to keep in line with the Super Nt and Mega Sg. This should reduce the price significantly.

Will FM sound work in the select Master System games?

A kinda side question, but does anyone know where Analogue manufactures these systems? If in China, do they worry about IP theft and the usual issues in having your products made over there?

Edited by romeoteknik

I'm pretty sure a revised NT Mini will come out. All they need to do is remove all the analog inputs and just make it an HDMI only system to keep in line with the Super Nt and Mega Sg.

I dont see the need for them to reinvent the wheel. Keep the current Nt mini motherboard and internals and replace the aluminum case with plastic. It wont be sub $200, but it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than the original Nt mini and will sell like hot cakes assuming the jailbreak firmware remains compatible. Have this baby out by Fall 2019, ready for the holidays. Its time for Analogue to move to a two product releases a year cycle to expand their business.

Edited by LewisD

I'm pretty sure a revised NT Mini will come out. All they need to do is remove all the analog inputs and just make it an HDMI only system to keep in line with the Super Nt and Mega Sg. This should reduce the price significantly.

Will FM sound work in the select Master System games?

A kinda side question, but does anyone know where Analogue manufactures these systems? If in China, do they worry about IP theft and the usual issues in having your products made over there?

To explain the recent name and price tweak to a product that’s out of stock, I can imagine that it will first be re-released in a way that’s largely the same. Dropping $50 sounds like they got rid of the bundled Retro Receiver and NES30, which I already expected since the NES30 has been discontinued.

Doesn’t mean they won’t ALSO make a plastic, single-slot, controller-less, and digital-only version. [emoji4] Half the point of the modular DAC is that it can be used across their console range to avoid bundling that cost for all users who may not even need/use/want it. Really hope they do this!

Edited by CZroe

I didn't think I was going to order the Mega Sg, but I surcame. Still need the DAC to become a reality. Now that there are soft mod for the NES zapper I can play light gun games on my AVS. SMS has some good 3d and light gun games so classic 240p CRT is considerably more important. I still wish I that AVS could be made to do 240p for 3d support. Although 3d famicom games aren't interesting enough for me to miss them. Come to think of it, i've never tried them on the AVS.

In my mind, a consolized Game Gear is easily worth $200 every day of the week, and the mega sg even does some other stuff too, to put it mildly. .

I will probably get the adapter and start collecting Game Gear games.The games are cheap, affordable, fun but Game Gears are prone to breakage and most in dire need of a recap. A bunch of my friends in high school had Game Gears but I never owned one bitd.

As much as I want to see a cheaper, revised NT Mini, I'm not getting my hopes up. Look at this from a business perspective, especially for a relatively small boutique company like Analogue who can't really afford to miss. First, it costs money in R&D to change the design of the original NT Mini. I also think it is likely Analogue has some original NT Mini parts warehoused and ready for manufacture. Second, it will cost additional money to pay for retooling, which can be significant. Third, the market for NES clones is already super saturated. Along with the people who have a NT Mini, there has been and still is a really nice sub $200 FPGA NES -- The AVS by RetroUSB. I just don't see Analogue putting any significant amount of time and money into making a cheaper, revised NT Mini. They already have the tooling and R&D done for the original NT Mini. I am willing to bet if we see anything, it will be another run or two of the original NT Mini. I think the cost/benefit analysis and market research would say no to a revised NT Mini. I'd like to be wrong on this one.

• Like 1

Please elaborate or link to source.

I'm having trouble finding the links, but basically someone put together hacked versions of some of the zapper games that have an option where you can adjust the timing of the game such that you counteract the timing difference of the TV from an old school CRT so that the zapper can actually accurately read the shots, I am not 100% on whether you still have to perform additional modification to the zapper itself though I think I saw something about replacing an led. I believe there are 3 patched titles so far?

edit: nevermind, F34R found the one I was looking for

Edited by Jurai

I can't imagine that works well. You'll also have to remove the 15khz bandpass filter and turn up the gain on the transistor inside the zapper because lcd are much dimmer constsnt brightness compared to a high speed cathode ray dot scanning across a picture tube. The brightness of the entire screen is focused to the dot for a brief instant.

I can't imagine that works well. You'll also have to remove the 15khz bandpass filter and turn up the gain on the transistor inside the zapper because lcd are much dimmer constsnt brightness compared to a high speed cathode ray dot scanning across a picture tube. The brightness of the entire screen is focused to the dot for a brief instant.

Yeah the guy working on the roms says up front that the original zapper is almost certainly not going to work on your tv, there are third party NES zappers that work better though / you can gut parts out of to modify the original zapper - http://neslcdmod.com/

If Analogue made a CD attachment that replicated the Sega CD functionality I would pay $150 easily for it, given all the overpriced, shitty condition, Sega CD units that are on the market currently. I really don't want to have to buy a used Sega CD just to play Snatcher, Lunar, and Sonic CD among others.

If Analogue made a CD attachment that replicated the Sega CD functionality I would pay $150 easily for it, given all the overpriced, shitty condition, Sega CD units that are on the market currently. I really don't want to have to buy a used Sega CD just to play Snatcher, Lunar, and Sonic CD among others.

I'd like to see a drop in laser replacement style ode that you could put into the original hardware, but a redesigned all in one unit that fits nicely with the mega sg would be pretty killer too

Regarding the NES zapper soft mod (http://neslcdmod.com/), using my NEC XM29 and the AVS targeting for me has dead on even when setting the delay to 0. I should still fix my twin famicom as backup system though with MiSTer and upcoming Mega Sg, a reissue of the Nt mini at $500 doesn't hold as much appeal if the the DAC comes out. I probably would have not purchased the SuperNT, it was mostly collecting dust until I got the XM29.

SegaCD systems have gotten a lot more expensive and based on the renders and I am not sure how well the Sega CD model 1 will attach. It's good that the headphone port is there, so an analog out was able to be snuck in. It would be wishful thinking to get a dual use 3d glasses out from it, so it can't totally replace the my MK2000. My Sega CD capabable machines right now are a JVC X'eye and a LaserActive so I'll have to likely make so compromises.

...and presumably a flawless digital image that never existed as analog. :)

Since the DAC seems to have been confirmed, I now have to wonder if you can use that with a 32X for analog output, at least. Very curious!

Yes, I'd like to know as well. It would be nice to have my MSg play everything my Genesis/Sega CD/32S Model 1 system can handle.

Chris Taber could be eluding to that when he says this..

(The system can run everything up through the benighted 32X (32X capablities aren't included "yet," teases company spokesperson Christopher Taber).

source: https://retronauts.com/article/990/analogue-makes-the-16-bit-console-clone-wars-a-reality-with-mega-sg

It might also be Why the DAC wasn't released already. Maybe they wanted to thoroughly test the Mega Sg / DAC / 32X.. if it's even possible.

I'd be ok with no new FPGA console for 2020 if otherwise means Kevtriss gets cooked and says "no more FPGA for me, I'm stressed out, I'm done" ^^'

I hope that after Mega Sg release he can take a breath and rest for a while (maybe working on something "light" like the DAC or various FPGA FWs improvement), in order to be able to be back with something awesome next. I mean: there is still so much stuff to do. :-)

Edited by pedroTFP

Yes, I'd like to know as well. It would be nice to have my MSg play everything my Genesis/Sega CD/32S Model 1 system can handle.

Chris Taber could be eluding to that when he says this..

(The system can run everything up through the benighted 32X (32X capablities aren't included "yet," teases company spokesperson Christopher Taber).

source: https://retronauts.com/article/990/analogue-makes-the-16-bit-console-clone-wars-a-reality-with-mega-sg

It might also be Why the DAC wasn't released already. Maybe they wanted to thoroughly test the Mega Sg / DAC / 32X.. if it's even possible.

Polygon has a more complete quote:

When asked what’s happened to this thing, Taber said, “It’s been done. It’s like 99.9 percent done and has been for like six months. We just didn’t have the time to focus on it. We had a small window of time to be able to focus on something else before we needed to get on Mega SG to be able to stick to our development schedule, and we even pushed the envelope a couple of weeks out and we just couldn’t spend another fucking day on it. We had to drop it. So it’s basically done, ready to be produced. We even have all the parts for it and everything, we just have to pull the trigger on it. So right when we get through these last little details with Mega SG, that’s the first thing on the list.

“Basically it’s a DAC [digital-to-analog converter] that’s just like if you took all of the analog component side of the NT Mini — identical in its quality and every single detail about it — and you put it into an external component that you plug right into the back of any Analogue product and it outputs into all of the analog video signals, audio signals with some other extra special things that we haven’t announced yet.”

We'll see how quickly they do pull the trigger on the DAC. But I don't think this is gonna be the panacea for 32X like you may be hoping for. It may wind up working with the right adapters to feed the output into the 32X, but I personally would be expecting some compositing bugs (hopefully just minor ones) since the DAC is feeding off the HDMI signal and not the raw RGB, AFAIK.

If the FPGA space is available, I suspect handling the 32X behavior at that level is probably going to be more reliable, and easier to avoid some of the compatibility glitches the real 32X hardware/carts have. The fact that Chaotix tends to lock on up on my VA4 Model 2 Genesis boards is unfortunate, for example, as it's one of only a couple games I actually care about on the 32X. I still need to get a good cable that lets me work with stereo + RGB over SCART on my Model 1 Genesis. It was enough to kinda turn me off from collecting the 32X as a platform.

I'll be honest, I probably would too. Mine still works, but it would be nice to have some fresh hardware that isn't quite as big.

Edited by Kaide

The fact that Chaotix tends to lock on up on my VA4 Model 2 Genesis boards is unfortunate, for example, as it's one of only a couple games I actually care about on the 32X. I still need to get a good cable that lets me work with stereo + RGB over SCART on my Model 1 Genesis. It was enough to kinda turn me off from collecting the 32X as a platform.

Odd that you bring that up. I had exactly the same thing on my old model 2. I kept buying copies of Chaotix thinking it was the game, and I've probably got 4 of them around here now. I even bought a second 32x to swap, but it wasn't until I switched the genesis underneath out that they started working for me. I've never had any validation that others have experienced that issue before, despite having brought it up a few times here--is it now a 'known thing' that happens? The best part, is that after at least a decade of on-and-off fighting with it, I finally played the game and...well, it turns out it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm pretty sure that most sega genesis variants don't run the whole library in some way--sega always struck me as not caring about consistency between models.

----------------------------

in other news, today I was waiting for the old everdrive md to flash a game when it dawned on me that the mega SG would also be *MUCH* faster at that--so there's even more benefit to me buying it. I also broke down and preordered the 8bitdo--so I'm giving them one more chance. I've been pretty much relentlessly bagging on their controllers since the last one that they sold me, but everybody else seems to love them, and I really want a wireless genesis pad. At worst, it'll still be good for slow, turn-based games for the life of its battery.

Edited by Reaperman