1. 1. I would pay....

2. 2. I Would Like Support for...

3. 3. Games Should Run From...

• SD Card / USB Memory Sticks
    • Original Cartridges
    • Hopes and Dreams
  4. 4. The Video Inteface Should be...

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

They can't ever be 100%, not within the scope and size of the FPGA. As it stands now, comment I read earlier today from people in the know on the project, it won't save state the audio, it just can't, but the rest it can on most chipsets. The thing isn't an emulator, it can not capture the entire audio presence of the SPC700+samples in the space to lock down a full save state.

I don't use them so I have no idea if this means your saved state will start up muted at first until the audio cycles, or out of sync until it does, whatever the case, it won't be 100% so kill that dream.

They're already talking like another update shortly for the SDD1 as it's basically ready too, but would it be like a 1.10.1, 1.9.1(...), or 2.0 for something that minor. Who knows.

I'm more curious about that firmware update on the SNT as I wasn't aware Super Gameboy audio was fubar. It didn't seem jacked up the couple times I used it.

Yeah I'd be curious for additional info on the gameboy audio that got fixed, and yeah, savestates are nice but don't ever expect that to be a 100% thing short of a larger hardware revision than 'switched to microsd slot' changes. Gonna wait for the jailbreak to get updated for updating my system

Yeah I'd be curious for additional info on the gameboy audio that got fixed, and yeah, savestates are nice but don't ever expect that to be a 100% thing short of a larger hardware revision than 'switched to microsd slot' changes. Gonna wait for the jailbreak to get updated for updating my system

The next SD2SNES revision is entirely different hardware with a much beefier FPGA. It sounds like 100% functional save states is one of the desired features, which will be possible because the cart itself will implement the SPC700.

The next SD2SNES revision is entirely different hardware with a much beefier FPGA. It sounds like 100% functional save states is one of the desired features, which will be possible because the cart itself will implement the SPC700.

Oh interesting wasn't aware that it was implementing the SPC700, I'm not sure a beefier cart would get me to upgrade off my current cart but maybe, I need to upgrade my everdrives first since almost all of those were first release impulse buys and they're a bit lacking now

Yes but they've already said that the larger size may still not be sufficient for save states, and even on that, I think it was questionable if the largest of those 2 AI/compression chips that runs one of the two shogi games still may not fit there too if I'm remembering it all right. I'm on this discord channel they all chit chat on that things get discussed, tested and talked about in general in that realm, larger fpga stuff, and just classic gaming in general. IT's a great space, like when the efnet irc was so awesome in the 90s. The name so far if it sticks and isn't placeholder is SD3SNES.

Edited by Tanooki

Sure? I Just bought one at BF... :(

Seems like there's always something better on the horizon. If you're always waiting because something better is coming, you'll never have anything.

I don't know how the SD2SNES could be functionally better with a larger FPGA though, other than this potential for save states, which aren't a big deal to me on SNES, since virtually all games have save files. Using save states more intensively than just saving progress is essentially cheating imo, and I try to resist the temptation. The feature not being available makes it much easier to resist.

The regular one already is going to be able to play all but maybe 2 obscure SNES titles after the next update, and it seems virtually flawless, so what else is there to do?

• Like 1

Yeah I'd be curious for additional info on the gameboy audio that got fixed

Gameboy audio uses the audio pins on the cart like MSU-1 does. Since there are links to reports that 4.6 broke MSU-1 in this thread, I’m not surprised for the fix. Edited by Kaide

When is this releasing?

No one knows. Ikari does have a working prototype of the hardware at least.

Sure? I Just bought one at BF... :(

Well it won't be 100% sure until release because things change.

Yes but they've already said that the larger size may still not be sufficient for save states, ...

I've been following this discussion on discord and never saw that.

Edited by cacophony
  • Like 1

Seems like there's always something better on the horizon. If you're always waiting because something better is coming, you'll never have anything.

I don't know how the SD2SNES could be functionally better with a larger FPGA though, other than this potential for save states, which aren't a big deal to me on SNES, since virtually all games have save files. Using save states more intensively than just saving progress is essentially cheating imo, and I try to resist the temptation. The feature not being available makes it much easier to resist.

The regular one already is going to be able to play all but maybe 2 obscure SNES titles after the next update, and it seems virtually flawless, so what else is there to do?

Yes that's correct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#ST

SPC7110 is added along with the finished (I think done testing now) SDD1 that would be it. The 'ST' line of special chips are what just won't play nice in the room possible on the cart itself. So, in the end, you get -2 Japanese releases, and 100% of all NTSC-U/PAL stuff working as it should on original boards. And I 100% agree about save states. I don't use them, they're for wimps and cheaters, much like how modern games coddle the kids with autosave every 10sec so you never really suffer dying in a FPS or other game. I'll use states, if it's a long enough game or someone gets in my way at home and I must stop, I'll create a save game for that purpose alone. Nintendo even did these later on when they started having systems you could sleep (DS/3DS/Switch) with minimal power drain and you were too far away from a standard save spot.

ST011

ST011 is used for AI functionality in the shogi board game Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi. It also uses a NEC µPD96050.[11]

ST018

ST018 is used for AI functionality in Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shogi 2. It is a 21.47 MHz, 32-bit ARMv3 processor.[7]

-- The ST018 would be the one even the SD3SNES I've seen thrown around as coming next year still wouldn't have the space for, and not likely the one above it either. Both are those 2 Shogi games I keep referring to. They are just too massive for the space of the FPGA. So, once

I've been following this discussion on discord and never saw that.

Pretty sure i saw it in the last 48 hours, just not sure which channel it was on there.

• Like 1

There are many good reasons for save states.

Taking advantage doesn't have to mean saving and reloading every 10 seconds to lazily work your way through a challenging game that you're not ready to tackle honestly or trying very hard at to play correctly. Further, that's not exactly a fun way to enjoy a game anyways for normal people, and unless you're uploading a tool assisted video to the internet, it's hard to imagine someone persevering for long under such tedious circumstances.

One of my personal favorite uses for save states are the many arcade conversions that had high score tables or at least retained the highest score. With save states, that data doesn't have to be wiped just because the power was turned off. I wouldn't call that a wimpy reason. It's a creative use of a modern feature in a classic game, which is only benefiting the experience.

In fact if the Retron 5 didn't have so much input lag and had a better reputation for reliability, I'd consider one specifically just for such arcade games (As I understand it, it has a suspend state feature that works automatically, just like the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console do).

And if I'm playing a tough game and struggling with a later area, I don't personally find it against my gaming morals to create a save state to make it more convenient for me to learn that area. Nor do I object to using a save state to save my progress in a game without a native save ability.

Edited by Atariboy

Yes I had and R5 and if you ever drop back to the menu it created a hot save you could just resume by clicking into the game again now, or after it was shut off whenever later. It was handy for the reasons I said, and yeah I'll give you I forgot about high scores being lost on power off which is infuriating with old console and arcade stuff.

Nintendo even did these later on when they started having systems you could sleep (DS/3DS/Switch) with minimal power drain and you were too far away from a standard save spot.

DS/3DS does not hibernate (ie copying RAM to storage for later retrieval). You do this with a PC and disconnect the power and it boots back to the position it was last used. Hibernation only provides a single snapshot of the system that can be resumed only once. Save stating is the next step, ie you can resume and save an unlimited number of times, and sometimes get save slots as well.

DS/3DS does sleep. The CPU enters a low power state and basically gets halted except for auxiliary wifi communication chips and waits for an interrupt to wake back up. A sleeping PC does the same thing. Power loss or card removal will result in loss of progress to the game being played. I had an issue with an early revision 3DS ejecting the cards when in my pocket.

I love save states, but I don't use them to save an area to go back to. I use them for games that have a high score board to save my initials. I use them for games like Shove It for the genesis when I'm ready to turn it off and continue my game later. They make the arcade conversations amazing to come back to to try and beat your score or for some friendly competition between friends.

I love save states, but I don't use them to save an area to go back to. I use them for games that have a high score board to save my initials. I use them for games like Shove It for the genesis when I'm ready to turn it off and continue my game later. They make the arcade conversations amazing to come back to to try and beat your score or for some friendly competition between friends.

I do use them on NES for high score tables too. On SNES though, most games with score tables have battery backup, don't they?

I do use them on NES for high score tables too. On SNES though, most games with score tables have battery backup, don't they?

Not necessarily. Many arcade style SNES and Genesis games did not have save batteries.

Using the save state to retain scores progress without rewinding is similar to how Wii VC initially operated. I had some pretty impressive pinball scores on Devil's Crush TG-16 Wii VC before a console lock up wiped them (had to power down without properly exiting).

Nowadays I just use my cellphone to snap pics of the score tables onscreen for retro games to keep for future reference.

As far as ethics of using save states, they are useful to a point, but if you are rewinding every 5 seconds, it gets lame.

• Like 1

There are other things that could be done via an upgraded SD2SNES, such as cores for other systems interfacing with the SNES controller ports. It'd be super cool to implement the Super GameBoy in the FPGA and have GB games available. Or, if the SNES can handle the data coming from the cart, do something similar with the NES.

It could be like a "core store" without the need for an FPGA console.

For SNES games, unless you're saving progress (like an RPG or a platformer that does that, like Mario World) there's no battery. Games that have high-score tables and no other progress won't have a battery, so save states would be useful there.

Edited by derFunkenstein

There are other things that could be done via an upgraded SD2SNES, such as cores for other systems interfacing with the SNES controller ports. It'd be super cool to implement the Super GameBoy in the FPGA and have GB games available. Or, if the SNES can handle the data coming from the cart, do something similar with the NES.

It could be like a "core store" without the need for an FPGA console.

For SNES games, unless you're saving progress (like an RPG or a platformer that does that, like Mario World) there's no battery. Games that have high-score tables and no other progress won't have a battery, so save states would be useful there.

Super Tetris 3 says hello. It has a battery save for no purpose that I can discern beyond saving high scores.

Have to admit that it seems to be a weird exception, not the rule.

Edited by Forsaken