Photo

FPGA Based Videogame System

FPGA

2411 replies to this topic

Poll: Interest in an FPGA Videogame System (408 member(s) have cast votes)

I would pay....

1. > $100 (31 votes [7.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.60%

2. $100-149 (54 votes [13.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

3. $150-199 (129 votes [31.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.62%

4. $200-299 (119 votes [29.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

5. Sky's the Limit (75 votes [18.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.38%

I Would Like Support for...

1. 8 bit era games (345 votes [46.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.43%

2. 16 bit era games (338 votes [45.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 45.49%

3. Blip (60 votes [8.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.08%

Games Should Run From...

1. SD Card / USB Memory Sticks (351 votes [55.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.54%

2. Original Cartridges (252 votes [39.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.87%

3. Hopes and Dreams (29 votes [4.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.59%

The Video Inteface Should be...

1. RGB (148 votes [18.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.03%

2. Composite (137 votes [16.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.69%

3. S-video (75 votes [9.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.14%

4. Component (108 votes [13.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.15%

5. HDMI (353 votes [43.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2401 kevtris OFFLINE  

kevtris

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 373 posts
  • FPGA Whisperer

Posted Yesterday, 8:37 PM

Off topic:

Kev! What is your icon from?

I'm a curious b-stard.

As someone else pointed out, it's from JY company... but I have it because we found that logo hidden inside a game I had reverse engineered the mapper to (the infamous mapper 90) hidden in a bunch of the CHR banks of a game, but didn't know how to activate it for a long time.  It was so weird I had to use it as an avatar.  My avatar originally was the wrong colours.  Turns out, a button combo makes it activate, and thus we knew the correct palette finally which is what is now used in the avatar.

#2402 Flangle OFFLINE  

Flangle

Space Invader

• 11 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:51 PM

As someone else pointed out, it's from JY company... but I have it because we found that logo hidden inside a game I had reverse engineered the mapper to (the infamous mapper 90) hidden in a bunch of the CHR banks of a game, but didn't know how to activate it for a long time.  It was so weird I had to use it as an avatar.  My avatar originally was the wrong colours.  Turns out, a button combo makes it activate, and thus we knew the correct palette finally which is what is now used in the avatar.

That is so freaking awesome, both to them burying it and for you to dig it up like pirate treasure.

All glory to Warren Robinette, the first easter egg hider.

Edited by Flangle, Yesterday, 8:53 PM.

#2403 NoKnownOrigin OFFLINE  

NoKnownOrigin

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Yesterday, 8:55 PM

first I have heard of this problem.  If it's a mac, they drop all sorts of extra/duplicate meta data files onto the SD card which made life difficult before- there's a hidden file for each file on the card sometimes.  I thought I got rid of those by hiding hidden files, but maybe there's something else there.  On a mac this problem might not be visible since the OS probably strips them out for display.  I couldn't repro the problem until I had someone zip up the contents of an SD card doing it, that's when I found all sorts of hidden dirs and files sprayed everywhere in the file system.  I might need an example dir with the problem zipped up (on a windows machine) to be able to find it.

Just FYI, for those that are on a Mac, there is a little utility called CleanEject that you can drag an SD card onto to remove all of these hidden files (.Trashes, .Spotlight-V100, .DS_Store, etc) and eject the disk. Very useful for any drive that you plan on using with systems which may or may not play nice with those files.

#2404 Sneakyturtleegg OFFLINE  

Sneakyturtleegg

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:32 PM

I've combed through this thread a few times now and don't believe this been brought up, but if it has already sorry in advance. I loaded a few ROMs into the NES folder on JB firmware ("1.8") and I see duplicate names in the list, e.g. there are 2 ROMs listed with the same name per ROM in the folder. I popped the SD card back in my PC to verify and to make sure there weren't any hidden files, etc. Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

I'm having the same problem too. I'm on a PC, JB firmware 1.8. In the NT Mini NES folders, I have duplicates of every game listed. They all play. The NES folders seem to be the only ones doing it right now.

#2405 phoenixdownita OFFLINE  

phoenixdownita

River Patroller

• 2,420 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Maybe when kevtris split out one of the NES mapper from the main NES core to merge it with the secondary NES core he fumbled the FAT directory reader code.

He'll fix it in no time.

#2406 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 13,183 posts

Posted Today, 12:21 AM

first I have heard of this problem.  If it's a mac, they drop all sorts of extra/duplicate meta data files onto the SD card which made life difficult before- there's a hidden file for each file on the card sometimes.  I thought I got rid of those by hiding hidden files, but maybe there's something else there.  On a mac this problem might not be visible since the OS probably strips them out for display.  I couldn't repro the problem until I had someone zip up the contents of an SD card doing it, that's when I found all sorts of hidden dirs and files sprayed everywhere in the file system.  I might need an example dir with the problem zipped up (on a windows machine) to be able to find it.

Windows does this too. The .DS_Store files on MacOS are like the thumbs.db files on Windows. There are hidden directories on Windows folders but "show hidden files" is not enough. You must also uncheck "hide protected operating system files" then the junk is visible. You can delete it after going through a prompt that asks you for admin privleges (and sometimes ask a password if your account have login) but it's a fruitless endeavor. As soon as you do anything in the directory, add, modify, delete files or simply open something, the hidden files are instantly regenerated. MacOS is similar I'm afraid. If you train your software to ignore any files with an "h" or "s" attribute, and also ignore any filename beginning with ".", then most of the Windows/MacOSX garbage should disappear. I would not hide files from view with the "a" (archive) or "r" (read only) attribute, because many software will edit these and some users manually add the read only attribute to protect files. Windows also auto sets read only whenever files are copied from read only media such as CD-ROM or locked SD card, which can be a pain later when doing bulk file management operations.

I don't know of a scrubber utility to bulk remove Mac/Win OS files, but I imagine it would be a pain. You would also need admin privleges in windows to remove windows files and likewise removing MacOS files on Mac. And again, merely inserting the SD card and viewing files without setting the write protect tab (which is pointless to do if you want to add stuff to it) and all the OS junk files come back.

#2407 snatcher1996 OFFLINE  

snatcher1996

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Today, 2:52 AM

Hi kevtris,

wanted to chime in and congratulate you on your awesome work. Your jailbreak made a way too expensive luxury toy a must have for any retro enthusiast. I've been playing on my new NT mini for some days now and have had a blast doing so.

Here is one possible small bug I stumbled upon. On the Game Gear core, Castle of Illusion has weird colors and won't normally. I tried both the US and Japanese rom from the Smokemonster romset which I believe are No Intro roms so should be fine. I am using your latest firmware.

On another note, I noticed that none of my famicom controllers intended for the expension port are working on my system. I tried several Hori gamepads and a XE-1 Pro Controller. No button input would be recognized. Is there something I need to enable in the menu to make them work? I had to make an RGB Scart cable following Analogues instructions from their webpage to have my system work with my CRT TV which requires a connection to its USB port. Could it be that this disables the expansion port somehow? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I actually have no possibility to check myself as I don't own a HDTV.

And finally here is a suggestion for the file browser. Since a lot of file or folder names cannot be displayed fully as for the low resolution on a CRT, would it be possible to implement scrolling of the name of the highlighted file or folder, similar to what a SD2SNES card would do? It's sometimes impossible to know which file exactly you're choosing when two files names only differ by something the display won't show.

Sorry for the lenghty first post and again, thanks for your hard work. I'll be following this project as well as any news on your Z3K which sounds very intersting as well.

Cheers

#2408 kevtris OFFLINE  

kevtris

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 373 posts
  • FPGA Whisperer

Posted Today, 2:57 AM

Hi kevtris,

wanted to chime in and congratulate you on your awesome work. Your jailbreak made a way too expensive luxury toy a must have for any retro enthusiast. I've been playing on my new NT mini for some days now and have had a blast doing so.

Here is one possible small bug I stumbled upon. On the Game Gear core, Castle of Illusion has weird colors and won't normally. I tried both the US and Japanese rom from the Smokemonster romset which I believe are No Intro roms so should be fine. I am using your latest firmware.

On another note, I noticed that none of my famicom controllers intended for the expension port are working on my system. I tried several Hori gamepads and a XE-1 Pro Controller. No button input would be recognized. Is there something I need to enable in the menu to make them work? I had to make an RGB Scart cable following Analogues instructions from their webpage to have my system work with my CRT TV which requires a connection to its USB port. Could it be that this disables the expansion port somehow? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I actually have no possibility to check myself as I don't own a HDTV.

And finally here is a suggestion for the file browser. Since a lot of file or folder names cannot be displayed fully as for the low resolution on a CRT, would it be possible to implement scrolling of the name of the highlighted file or folder, similar to what a SD2SNES card would do? It's sometimes impossible to know which file exactly you're choosing when two files names only differ by something the display won't show.

Sorry for the lenghty first post and again, thanks for your hard work. I'll be following this project as well as any news on your Z3K which sounds very intersting as well.

Cheers

I mention that GG game in the readme.  it's an sms game that ran in sms mode on a game gear.  run it in SMS mode and it will work.  (load it thru the sms core).

the expansion port controller working or not depends on the game loaded.  it only works on NES/fami titles, and then when they support it in software.  i.e. SMB will support it, but other games like kirby's adventure might not.  It does not work on other cores than the nes/fami.

you only need the usb power if you are using SCART. if you're using BNCs then it's not needed and you just need one of those 5 BNC "pentapus" cables.

I don't have plans to change the menu interface now since it's so far along and I am going to be working on paid work soon so that will put a crimp on it.

#2409 snatcher1996 OFFLINE  

snatcher1996

Combat Commando

• 3 posts

Posted Today, 3:05 AM

I mention that GG game in the readme.  it's an sms game that ran in sms mode on a game gear.  run it in SMS mode and it will work.  (load it thru the sms core).

the expansion port controller working or not depends on the game loaded.  it only works on NES/fami titles, and then when they support it in software.  i.e. SMB will support it, but other games like kirby's adventure might not.  It does not work on other cores than the nes/fami.

you only need the usb power if you are using SCART. if you're using BNCs then it's not needed and you just need one of those 5 BNC "pentapus" cables.

I don't have plans to change the menu interface now since it's so far along and I am going to be working on paid work soon so that will put a crimp on it.

Yes I understand, thanks for clarification.

Have a good one!

#2410 Fafner OFFLINE  

Fafner

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Today, 4:53 AM

Mac user here!
Haven't run into this issue with my NT Mini.

I've seen it on other devices (stuff from AtGames) but not on my Analogue

#2411 Daschewie OFFLINE  

Daschewie

Combat Commando

• 2 posts

Posted Today, 6:57 AM

Windows does this too. The .DS_Store files on MacOS are like the thumbs.db files on Windows. There are hidden directories on Windows folders but "show hidden files" is not enough. You must also uncheck "hide protected operating system files" then the junk is visible. You can delete it after going through a prompt that asks you for admin privleges (and sometimes ask a password if your account have login) but it's a fruitless endeavor. As soon as you do anything in the directory, add, modify, delete files or simply open something, the hidden files are instantly regenerated. MacOS is similar I'm afraid. If you train your software to ignore any files with an "h" or "s" attribute, and also ignore any filename beginning with ".", then most of the Windows/MacOSX garbage should disappear. I would not hide files from view with the "a" (archive) or "r" (read only) attribute, because many software will edit these and some users manually add the read only attribute to protect files. Windows also auto sets read only whenever files are copied from read only media such as CD-ROM or locked SD card, which can be a pain later when doing bulk file management operations.

I don't know of a scrubber utility to bulk remove Mac/Win OS files, but I imagine it would be a pain. You would also need admin privleges in windows to remove windows files and likewise removing MacOS files on Mac. And again, merely inserting the SD card and viewing files without setting the write protect tab (which is pointless to do if you want to add stuff to it) and all the OS junk files come back.

For Mac users, there is a free utility that removes both window and mac junk files on eject. I use this for my other flash carts with great success: http://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive

#2412 simbin ONLINE  

simbin

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Today, 12:04 PM

Kevtris,

How do we add custom bezel artwork around the display port on Game Gear core?

Can you please add menu functionality for Famicom Network Controller?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FPGA

10 user(s) are browsing this forum

4 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users