IGNORED

Gi Joe prototyoe / alternative box art find? need help

Trade-N-Games

So I had this come into store today. I have never seen this alternative art work for gijoe. Im almost positive this is a vintage box seems very old. Customer just thrifted it so he had no clue. Back was blank but the material it was made of matched vintage parker brothers boxes. It did not have inside tray. It had standard text label silver cart and original instruction manual. But at any point in its life someone could have just made it complete. As you can see it says atari and sears but no where does it say 2600. I will get picture of copyright info on side of box friday.

post-1807-0-51297200-1443143963_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Who handled the artwork for prototype boxes?

Would it have to be approved by whoever was giving the license?

I don't recognize the center character as an '82 or '83 G.I. Joe character. Scarlett and Snake Eyes featured prominently is kind of weird,

and they have the wrong guns.

Hasbro liked to use Grunt, Rock 'n Roll, or Flash for product art in '82 or '83.

The box art looks fishy, but it could have ben done without Hasbro singing off on it.

Well the copyright info is correct. The main character on the box is Hawk, just with an alternate outfit. When the comic book ads hit for the game, Hawk was in the right outfit and the box art was fixed to what was released.

0c9edfb1e8d915dfdeb23be5ff7477bc_zpsb1l1

The comic book art that was copied for this prototype box was from the issue that would have been on newsstands mid to late summer in '82. I almost wonder if Parker Brothers tried to use this art due to lack of source material. Hasbro was just recycling box art from toy packaging for catalogs in '82 and early '83.

IMG_1286_zpsjmzxjiml.jpg

Hasbro was also recycling Marvel Comics art for their own product in '82. So I can see a little monkey see, monkey do with this.

IMG_1283_zpsyfvx2b1m.jpg

Artwork wise, it seems like it's legit from '82.

• Like 2

Well the copyright info is correct. The main character on the box is Hawk, just with an alternate outfit. When the comic book ads hit for the game, Hawk was in the right outfit and the box art was fixed to what was released.

0c9edfb1e8d915dfdeb23be5ff7477bc_zpsb1l1

The comic book art that was copied for this prototype box was from the issue that would have been on newsstands mid to late summer in '82. I almost wonder if Parker Brothers tried to use this art due to lack of source material. Hasbro was just recycling box art from toy packaging for catalogs in '82 and early '83.

IMG_1286_zpsjmzxjiml.jpg

Hasbro was also recycling Marvel Comics art for their own product in '82. So I can see a little monkey see, monkey do with this.

IMG_1283_zpsyfvx2b1m.jpg

Artwork wise, it seems like it's legit from '82.

Wow dude, are you a private eye??!! Excellent work, well done and thanks!!

• Like 1

Check the Sears and Monkey Wards catalogs online. I swear that was the box art shown in those catalogs. Maybe I'm misremembering…could've been in a Parker Bros catalog.

And don't be concerned with the lack of "2600" on the box. Atari/Sears obviously means "VCS". Off the top of my head, the only Parker Bros. boxes that might mention "2600" would be the last ones released.

Edited by Lynxpro