Photo

Dunjonquest Morloc's Tower

7 replies to this topic

#1 KBRpilot OFFLINE  

KBRpilot

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:10 AM

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a working ATR image of Morloc's Tower?

The one on Atarimania seems to be faulty, it loads up nice enough but as soon as you try to leave the first room, more of the dungeon fails to load properly.  Anywhere else I've looked just seems to be a copy of the corupt image on Atarimania.  This copy neither seems to work in the emulator or my real Atari 800. 

I have been a big fan of Epyx (Automated Simulations) since I very first started using an Atari computer in the early 80's.  Jumpan was one of the big motivations for me to work all summer one year as a teenager to get a disk drive.  Temple of Apshai was the very first CRPG I ever played (original basic version.)  Lately I have been revisiting the Dunjonquest series, but this one game has eluded me.

I also have been trying to rebuild my collection of Epyx games from the '80s.  Sadly the way many people are way over charging for these games (way outside my budget anyway,) has made my rebuilding of this collection a slow one.  Recently I just purchased Crush, Crumble & Chomp! at a decent price but am still waiting it's arrivial.  Here are some of the games that I have managed to get so far;

Epyx.jpeg

CC&C will probably be my last purchase for a while due to the Christmas Holidays season coming up.  The Jumpan box, even though it says C64 on it, I have disks of both it and the Atari version in there as well as loose Jumpan Jr. carts for both systems.

Anyway if anyone can help me locate a working copy of Morloc's Tower (atr format as I use aspeqt which I don't think supports ATX,) I'd greatly appriciate it.  Thanks.

Edited by KBRpilot, Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:26 AM.

#2 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,450 posts

Posted Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:33 PM

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a working ATR image of Morloc's Tower? The one on Atarimania seems to be faulty, it loads up nice enough but as soon as you try to leave the first room, more of the dungeon fails to load properly.

I just tried the zipped ATR that I have on my hard drive.  This ATR matches perfectly with the one on AtariMania (which is probably where I got it).  I see what KBRpilot means that the game doesn't work correctly.  I can exit north, and it works okay, but then when I exit that room, I exit the Dungeon (well, Morloc's Tower).  The only proper exit from that Room 7 (the room that the player begins in on first starting the game) should be to the south.  Exiting west also exits the Tower.  Exiting east sort of works, but it doesn't appear to work correctly, as I was attacked by a Dire Wolf from two rooms away (which I don't think is normal, is it?).

Like many early Atari games, the graphics of "Morloc's Tower" are quite primitive (and they're also monochrome).  Still, the game is pretty neat, but it plays quite differently than "Temple of Apshai:" games are limited to 20 minutes.

#3 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,450 posts

Posted Tue Oct 6, 2015 4:16 PM

I tried "Morloc's Tower" (under emulation) on an Apple II using Applewin 1.24 in order to check if the game works as I expect it should work on an Atari 8-Bit.  "Morloc's Tower" works just fine on an Apple II.  I made a few screenshots to show that exploring the game works correctly on an Apple II.

Here is what "Morloc's Tower" looks like when it first begins:

Morloc's Tower (Room 7)(Game Begins).gif

Here is a screenshot of the game after the player's character opens the west door:

Morloc's Tower (Room 7)(Opened West Door).gif

Here is a screenshot after six rooms have been explored:

Morloc's Tower (Explored Six Rooms).gif

If you're familair with "Temple of Apshai," that you may notice a difference in how the map is drawn.  Only the current room that the player's character occupies In "Temple of Apshai" is drawn on the screen.  In "Morloc's Tower," each room that has been explored (thus far, at least) is still shown.

#4 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,450 posts

Posted Tue Oct 6, 2015 5:51 PM

"Morloc's Tower" for the Atari is written in BASIC.  You can see the AtariMania version, here:

http://www.atarimani...tower_3533.html

A listing of the files on the disk shows these files:

DOS     SYS 0037
  DUP     SYS 0042
  LESSMORE001 0035
  LESSXREF    0165
  TOWER       0010
  MORGRAF0FNT 0009
  AUTORUN SYS 0002
0407 FREE SECTORS

I loaded "LESSMORE.001" (the file loaded by AUTORUN.SYS) into BASIC and then LISTed it to my h: drive using the Altirra emulator.  Here is a ATASCII version of the file of that file:

Attached File  LESSMORE.001.txt   3.29KB   66 downloads

Note that if you open this with a regular text editor (for instance, Notepad under Windows), then the file will have garbage in it).  The file can be viewed properly using an ATASCII editor, such as ATASCIIView (for Widows).

Here is a pdf version of the same file for easier viewing (but it's not searchable):

Attached File  LESSMORE.001.pdf   810.2KB   30 downloads

LESSMORE.001 loads the main "Morloc's Tower" program called "LESSXREF."  Here is an ATASCII version of "LESSXREF:"

Attached File  LISTXREF.txt   25.58KB   56 downloads

Here is the same file as a pdf for easier viewing:

Attached File  LISTXREF.pdf   6.12MB   36 downloads

Hopefully this will allow someone to spot a potential problem with the "Morloc's Tower."

#5 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,450 posts

Posted Thu Nov 9, 2017 10:26 PM

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a working ATR image of Morloc's Tower?

I still don't know where you can get a working disk image of Dunjonquest: Morloc's Tower, but I did get the original disk for the Atari 8-bt yesterday:

Dunjonquest - Morloc's Tower.jpg

I don't even have a disk drive, so I can't test if it works, but I'm working on trying to get someone to archive this disk for me.  I'll keep you posted.

Adam

#6 MrFish OFFLINE  

MrFish

River Patroller

• 4,213 posts

Posted Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:27 PM

I still don't know where you can get a working disk image of Dunjonquest: Morloc's Tower, but I did get the original disk for the Atari 8-bt yesterday:

attachicon.gifDunjonquest - Morloc's Tower.jpg

I don't even have a disk drive, so I can't test if it works, but I'm working on trying to get someone to archive this disk for me.  I'll keep you posted.

I would have made an image of my Morloc's Tower before I sold it, but it was a sealed copy...

morloc front.jpg     morloc back.jpg

#7 dragos OFFLINE  

dragos

Moonsweeper

• 278 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:18 AM

Yes, and it will remain sealed as part of my Epyx collection.  If you have one not seen below and it is for sale, contact me (Early Epyx titles only, system doesn't matter)

14168607352_44123ab8ea.jpgimage by Mark Gladson, on Flickr

14167991661_fc9ee7b2f9.jpgimage by Mark Gladson, on Flickr

Edited by dragos, Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:19 AM.

#8 GlowingGhoul OFFLINE  

GlowingGhoul

Chopper Commander

• 213 posts

Posted Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:48 AM

Yes, and it will remain sealed as part of my Epyx collection.  If you have one not seen below and it is for sale, contact me (Early Epyx titles only, system doesn't matter)

14168607352_44123ab8ea.jpgimage by Mark Gladson, on Flickr

14167991661_fc9ee7b2f9.jpgimage by Mark Gladson, on Flickr

Very nice collection. I have a number of sealed copies of your open ones, Jumpman, Temple of Apshai, Gateway, Monster Maze, Alien Garden, Plattermania, as well as some variation packaging of titles you have and couple of oddball EPYX titles you're missing, like Fun with Art. I even have some commercially produced bootleg Epyx titles complete with misspellings on the box ("Gateway to Apsh").

I'm an SSI/Avalon Hill/Infocom/Origin/Epyx collector, with room for RPG's and strategy titles from any publisher. 

Edited by GlowingGhoul, Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:57 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users