IGNORED

Air Sea Battle Hack?

knievel1

How many of us used to break away from Mom to comb through the game section at Sears & wish we were rich enough to buy them all?

Because at $25 bucks a pop, that was the only way you would get a truly stellar collection of games.

So as an adult to have Stella & hundreds of games? That's pretty rich.

Then you figure out that a large percentage of games are truly rotten.

Hacks of classics that we spent hundreds of hours exploring as kids is next level fun.

Adventure Enhanced? E.T. & Pac-Man fixed? Could we have even dreamed?

I played countless hours of Air-Sea Battle & would love to see some good hacks of that one.

I've got a version where the background is black & even that small change has proven to be enormously fun.

Could there be one that let you go past 99?

That eliminated those darned zero point mines?

That made the targets faster?

Double fire?

No timer?

You know, for those times in life we wanna feel like a kid again.

Edited by knievel1
  • Like 2

How many of us used to break away from Mom to comb through the game section at Sears & wish we were rich enough to buy them all?

Because at $25 bucks a pop, that was the only way you would get a truly stellar collection of games.

So as an adult to have Stella & hundreds of games? That's pretty rich.

Then you figure out that a large percentage of games are truly rotten.

Hacks of classics that we spent hundreds of hours exploring as kids is next level fun.

Adventure Enhanced? E.T. & Pac-Man fixed? Could we have even dreamed?

I played countless hours of Air-Sea Battle & would love to see some good hacks of that one.

I've got a version where the background is black & even that small change has proven to be enormously fun.

Could there be one that let you go past 99?

That eliminated those darned zero point mines?

That made the targets faster?

Double fire?

No timer?

You know, for those times in life we wanna feel like a kid again.

Welcome to AA! :)

Dennis Debro made a detailed disassembly of Air Sea Battle back in 2004, so most of what you'd like to see changed could probably be done fairly easily. I'll take a look in the next week or so if I find the time.

We didn't have much cash. The few carts I had were played to death. How did anyone find those Easter Eggs? Well, because we spent 48 hours a week in those blasted castles.....

Thanks, Stargunner! I think a lot of us would really enjoy some revisted/expanded classics.

That one where Human Cannonball crashes & says F*CK still makes me laugh like a 3rd grader.

Here's a few hacks that add some of what you asked for. The version with no timer works, but the game still ends when someone gets to 99. Changing the score to three digits rather than two is a little more challenging than I want to take on for this game. Same for double shots.

asb_fastshot.bin

asb_fastshot_fastenemy.bin

asb_notimer.bin

• 5 weeks later...

How do I turn the background of Air-Sea Battle black? (or any title, I suppose -- a black background helps sometimes)

I haven't checked this forum in a while and just saw your comment. This game has a detailed disassembly so it's probably specifically mentioned in the code, I haven't looked. Without a detailed disassembly, it's just a time consuming trial and error process of changing color entries in the disassembled code, compiling it, and seeing what happens.

• 5 weeks later...

Here are black background versions. I didn't test them so if there are any issues let me know.

The color locations are here:

0629-0631 (games version 1-15)

0633-0636 (games version 16-27)

The no timer is a few lines off but you can compare them in a bit hacker and line them up.

post-3832-0-85583900-1449098268_thumb.png post-3832-0-21713600-1449098274_thumb.png

BIN Files:

asb_fastshot black.bin

asb_fastshot_fastenemy black.bin

asb_notimer black.bin

• Like 1

Neo,

Thanks so much for doing that!

Love me some Air Sea Battle in Black -- Saturday is Atari night.

Thank you al.

Wish I had noticed it sooner.

I prefer the black backgrounds as well. There are a few reason why Atari stayed away from black backgrounds as much as possible. The most popular is that In the early days of Atari the upper management wanted to show that the Atari 2600 was a COLOR Video Game System.

From my experience with the RF hook-up, color back grounds don't show static lines as bad as black does. If you use the old switch box you will have static.

Edited by neotokeo2001

I can imagine in that age 99 percent of people (especially kids) would have chosen a bright, multicolored rainbow of colors -- even though it's not very practical to try and shoot targets through.

I imagine when I was 7 years old I would have chosen the color version. But now? Black plays better.

Never thought of that -- good thing Asteroids didn't have a multicolored background though.

I like the Circus Atari black version as well -- what other games are better with black background?

That fast enemy version of Air-Sea is nuts. Love it.

Those friggin' mines stay in the way though.

Again, thanks!