IGNORED

The new device - True Interlaced Mode Graphics - preorder.

Simius

There is a new device called True Interlaced Mode Graphics. Allows to increase the vertical resolution twice. The device generate fully RS-170A standard sync pulses with interlace. It requires only minimal software support (to change the screen address according to the bit3 of PMCTL register in the VBLK interrupt routine)
The device have form of small (51x18mm) PCB with precision DIP40 socket, inserted between MB and GTIA chip. PAL or NTSC version, available within about 1 month. The price is US$25+shipping.
An example of the operation - 8x16 matrix fonts - on the attached photo.

post-26134-0-73016500-1443718479_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Attached screen is made with two character sets. One set contains the even lines, and the second - the odd lines of the characters. All required software is:

LDA PMCTL

ORA #$08

STA PMCTL

LDX #CHAR1:H

LDA PMCTL

AND #$08

BNE *

LDX #CHAR2:H

* STX CHSET

JMP EXITVBL

• Like 1

PMCTL - guess this is some spare bits within GTIA's address space?

So, does this device wait for persistent HBlank command near the end of screen then insert the extra HSync pulses where required?

1. Yes, there is an additional bit in the familiar PMCTL ($D01D) register. The register is R/W now. Bit3 is the interlace on/off ( W ) and the frame parity ( R ) register.

2. No, device generates all pulses anew. Sync pulses from GTIA are no longer used.

Edited by Simius

What IC chips are used in this device? What signals to / from the GTIA does it intercept? How was it developed? Will it co-exist with VBXE?

Details, please (from a hardware hacker point of view) :)

Thanx!

Altera EPM3032ATC44 is used. AN0, AN1, AN2, and FO0 are intercepted. One morning I got up and I had an idea. :) Yes, it will work with VBXE. 672x400 resolution is possible.

• Like 4

Nice idea... yes, VBXE in the non VGA mode as per most installs doesn't generate any Sync pulses of it's own, so making software controlled interlace or hardware override as we have here totally possible.

I guess you still follow the normal GTIA protocol, so the bag of tricks which rely on Antic bugs will still work?

I guess you still follow the normal GTIA protocol, so the bag of tricks which rely on Antic bugs will still work?

I hope so.

I thought true interlaced video required half scanlines...? When experimenting with the DMACTL-based trick I found that it worked on an LCD TV but an older CRT TV refused to interlace the fields.

Yes. But this half-scanlines are invisible, because are going in the vertical blanking time.

This device will work on CRT TV, but some flickering will be seen. As on the standard TV picture.

It seems TVs both old and new can be flexible in what they'll accept.

By default most of the old Atari gear doesn't even bother to generate the few scanlines around VSync anywhere near what the broadcast standard was, but practically all analog TVs and most modern digital receivers are happy with it, though some digital gear esp LCD TVs just assume you have an interlaced signal whether it is or not.

Broadcast standard = insert extra Sync level or return to blanking level at half scanline intervals, done in such a way that half a scanline is inserted.

Atari method = no half scanline insertions.

Atari "software interlace" method = DMACTL tricks to approximate broadcast standard every 2nd field. Other fields left alone.

to me it sounds like the output is still the same, but you now can switch between non-interlaced and interlaced output.

A register holds if the odd and the even frame is shown, and you can switch between two different char's or two different graphic screens. (this devices doesn't seem to use any kind of continuing double-sized graphics screen).