Photo

Atari 2600 Trak-Ball Games

Trak-Ball Track Ball Missile Command Centipede Reactor Millipede Challenge of... Nexar Marble Craze Plaque Attack

643 replies to this topic

#626 yell0w_lantern OFFLINE  

yell0w_lantern

Dragonstomper

• 613 posts
  • Miki is Back!

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:34 PM

Once again, I humbly suggest Activision's Oink!

#627 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,693 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:30 AM

I will look into it. Its on my list. Not sure when, though.

#628 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,128 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:01 PM

Millipede is Omega's project and unfortunately he is MIA for quite some while. So how serious is the problem? Should this block a release on cart?

Also, could you post a Stella savestate which shows the problem?

Does this mean no millipede in the AA store? :sad:

#629 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,324 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 PM

Does this mean no millipede in the AA store? :sad:

I think he posted the fix a few days ago

#630 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,324 posts

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 PM

List?

As in, there are other trak-ball games coming besides Oink? 

#631 yell0w_lantern OFFLINE  

yell0w_lantern

Dragonstomper

• 613 posts
  • Miki is Back!

Posted Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:38 PM

Thanks for the response. I really do appreciate it. :)

#632 adamchevy ONLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,167 posts

Posted Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:26 AM

I'm not sure if I have said Thank you for these.  These are freaking awesome, and I am grateful to those that took the time to create these!  Also, thanks for maintaining this list!

#633 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:22 AM

I found a bug in Millipede from the original game. It was using cmp ($F7,X) to delay six cycles, but this would occassionaly trip a hotspot. I fixed it and added ver 6.4 to the first post.

Does it include the inchworm fix?

And about what I was using, I was on Stella using a mouse.

#634 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,122 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:43 AM

Does it include the inchworm fix?

And about what I was using, I was on Stella using a mouse.

Use it includes the inchworm fix.

But I do need you to confirm that the inchworm fix is working.

#635 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:30 PM

It seems the player was sped up a bit compared with the version without the fix but it's still slower than the normal speed.

#636 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,345 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:41 PM

I played a couple of quick games of the new Millipede build because I wanted to test out my Trak-Ball with the Stelladapter-II "mouse mode" (true trackball output). I used the newest Mac Stella build.
I wish I had more time to fully play test it, but no, so I don't have any feedback at the moment.

#637 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,022 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:29 AM

A note for those looking for a trackball controller to play the games in this thread:

There are currently a few new, old stock CX22 trackball from Venezuela on ebay.
These are the original version that only works in joystick emulation mode, so beware that they are NOT compatible with the hacks in this thread!
You need the second version CX22, or a CX80 (the one with triangular buttons) as they have a switch to select between joystick or real trackball mode

You can easily distinguish between the two CX22 revisions once you know what to look for:

First version (NOT COMPATIBLE with these hacks, unless modified!):

proline_tb_1.JPG proline_tb_2.JPG proline_tb_sw.jpg
The box says "ATARI 2600 TRAK-BALL CONTROLLER" in large font, and, on the left top edge, "PRO-LINE - AN ATARI 2600 ACCESSORY". The picture shows an all-black controller with white ball, labeled "atari 2600 - PRO-LINE TRAK-BALL"

The controller is all-black (like shown on the box), but with yellow ball and it's labeled "ATARI 2600 PRO-LINE TRAK-BALL". The bottom half of the case has the hole labeled JOYSTICK and TRAK-BALL, but the switch is missing and the hole itself is covered with black adhesive vinyl.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Second version (this will work with the hacks. Use the roms labeled "CX22" or simply "Atari Trakball" and set the switch to "trak-ball" position)

cx22_1.jpg cx22-2.jpg cx22-sw.jpg

The box says "ATARI TRAK-BALL CONTROLLER" and "PRO-LINE - AN ATARI ACCESSORY FOR GAMES AND COMPUTERS" (note  that there's not explicit mention of the 2600 anymore). The picture shows a dual color black/creme controller with black ball and simply labeled "ATARI TRAK-BALL". Below the picture, in small font, it says: "For use with all Atari Home Computers, ATARI 2600 VCS Games, Sears Video Arcade and Video Arcade II, and Commodore VIC 20 and Commodore 64"

Note that it's also mentioned "True Trak-Ball or Joystick Game Play" on the left of the picture.
The controller has a black top and a creme-color bottom and a yellow ball. The top label just says "ATARI TRAK-BALL"
The bottom half has a mode switch.

Edited by alex_79, Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 AM.

#638 stephena OFFLINE  

stephena

River Patroller

• 2,962 posts
  • Stella maintainer

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:03 AM

Now that I'm on this topic (having spoken about it to a few other people in other threads), I wonder if an Atart ST mouse is compatible with the 2600 console?  That is, are they pin compatible (so I don't blow something if I plug it in), and also compatible with trakball ROMs?  IOW, can I plug in an Atari ST mouse and have it works as an 'AtariMouse' on a real console?  Similarly, can I do the same for an Amiga mouse (and for ROMs that use the Amiga mouse)?  Finally, does anyone have any experience with the 'Wizard' Amiga mouse, which has a toggle-switch to also emulate an Atari mouse?

I have these mice and the console (obviously), but I'm not willing to plug it in until I know for sure that they are at least electrically compatible.

#639 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 22,693 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:18 PM

I have an Amiga mouse and yes, it works perfectly with the Amiga mouse trackball hacks.

#640 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,022 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:35 PM

Yes, the pinout of Atari, Amiga and dual-mode mice and trackballs is compatible with the 2600. No risk of damaging the console or controller.

#641 iesposta OFFLINE  

iesposta

River Patroller

• 3,345 posts
  • Retro-gaming w/my VCS

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:40 PM

I have a Commodore mouse.
Why doesn't that work?

It works as a joystick on Atari if you hold down the 2nd button at startup.
It doesn't work as a trackball, or maybe it is like a CX22 or CX80 and I only tried it with the Amiga mouse version?

#642 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,022 posts

Posted Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:12 PM

The commodore mouse uses a different protocol.
When in proportional mode, instead of sending pulses like the Amiga/Atari ones, it sends X and Y values as pot positions to the paddle lines every 512 us. Given that reading paddles is slow and quite cpu-intensive on the 2600 (there's not hardware support as in the commodore SID chip), I doubt it can be supported.

http://www.ntrautane...1351_pinout.htm
https://www.c64-wiki...wiki/Mouse_1351
http://www.waitingfo...OTX_Register_19

Just out of curiosity, is there any reaction if you use it with a 2600 paddle game? Or the Testcart?

Edited by alex_79, Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:16 PM.

#643 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 6,122 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 1:00 PM

It seems the player was sped up a bit compared with the version without the fix but it's still slower than the normal speed.

You are correct. I took at look at this today and made a new version (6.5) which I believe it is fully working now. Please have a look at the first post, and thank you for reporting the bug.

#644 Tangentg OFFLINE  

Tangentg

Moonsweeper

• 363 posts

Posted Mon Sep 4, 2017 10:48 AM

You are correct. I took at look at this today and made a new version (6.5) which I believe it is fully working now. Please have a look at the first post, and thank you for reporting the bug.

Will test it out when I get the time, thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trak-Ball, Track Ball, Missile Command, Centipede, Reactor, Millipede, Challenge of... Nexar, Marble Craze, Plaque Attack

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users