IGNORED

Replacement Controller Membranes

RWAP

Many people will already know me for the range of keyboard membranes I have had produced for Sinclair, Amiga and Amstrad machines.

A recent discussion on Facebook suggested that there was a need for replacement membranes for the Intellivision controller, so I thought this would make a good project for 2016.

I know someone has already produced a replacement using microswitches, but I think in order to ensure that no modifications are required to the existing controllers, the best solution would be to produce a direct replacement for the membrane.

So, the questions are:

a) How much interest would there be in this project and at what sort of price point?

b) Should the membrane be a flat membrane (as per the Intellivision II controller) or use bubble technology above each key (as per the original).

c) Will the same membrane be suitable for all of the original controllers or are there any differences?

d) Is there anything else we need to take account of when making the replacements?

• Like 3

I certainly would like to see this kind of project come to fruition, but I think the need for it has been lessened with the flashback controllers being available now.

At any rate, one thing I'd love to see would be an alternate membrane design that separates the signals from the keypad from the disc + button signals so that double action controllers could be made without as much hacking and dremeling.

I certainly would like to see this kind of project come to fruition, but I think the need for it has been lessened with the flashback controllers being available now.

At any rate, one thing I'd love to see would be an alternate membrane design that separates the signals from the keypad from the disc + button signals so that double action controllers could be made without as much hacking and dremeling.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the separation of signals could be achieved easily, then we could investigate that as an option.

However, I doubt that it is very easy!

Are we talking about the keypad top piece/buttons or the plastic circuit/sheet inside?

I would like a replacement part for the rubber side buttons, making it easier for rapid button presses if possible.

We are talking about the plastic circuit inside - although I guess that potentially we could look at making a replacement for the keypad top piece / buttons (or maybe even laminating that onto the membrane itself if that would work).

Making rubber parts is generally just too expensive because of the tooling required.

If anyone has any ideas as to how the separation of signals could be achieved easily, then we could investigate that as an option.

However, I doubt that it is very easy!

It's basically separating the disc circuits from the button circuits and having two cables coming out of one controller. One cable plugs into the left controller socket on the intellivision and the other cable plugs into the right controller socket.

Getting membranes made is not too much of an issue - but cost is an issue if we are talking about several types - each production run involves about £2000 - £3000 worth of investment, so its pointless investing that much to sell 20 membranes (also my funds are not limitless!)

• Like 1

Want a million dollars from Retro Gaming? Start with 2 million!

Getting membranes made is not too much of an issue - but cost is an issue if we are talking about several types - each production run involves about £2000 - £3000 worth of investment, so its pointless investing that much to sell 20 membranes (also my funds are not limitless!)

There is a kit right now for 4 controller rebuilds at $55 bucks or so on eBay now. New parts. By the way I have about 100 or so side buttons I picked up in some odd lot.

Edited by BBWW

At least 3 different circuit matrix parts were used ( not counting the flashback )

The intellivision 1 was a pressure connector 5x4 intermingled , The intellivision 2 I believe was a slide on connector 9 fingers wide.

The intellivision 3 was a different but similar layout to the intellivision I.

I would bet the sears model was the same as the intellivision I... But I don't remember.

I had an actual parts list around the house. But don't know what happened to it? I have a bunch of brand new circuit matrix for the 1 and 3 if I can find them.

I would donate one of each for copying if needed ( have to dig them out first! )

I am truly hoping..... The Flashback 2 comes out in the Intellivision 2 colors and correct db9 wiring. Color change so it is easy to know if controller A works with system A.

But, YES... We can ALWAYS use replacement parts for our favorite system(s)

At least 3 different circuit matrix parts were used ( not counting the flashback )

The intellivision 1 was a pressure connector 5x4 intermingled , The intellivision 2 I believe was a slide on connector 9 fingers wide.

The intellivision 3 was a different but similar layout to the intellivision I.

I would bet the sears model was the same as the intellivision I... But I don't remember.

I had an actual parts list around the house. But don't know what happened to it? I have a bunch of brand new circuit matrix for the 1 and 3 if I can find them.

I would donate one of each for copying if needed ( have to dig them out first! )

I am truly hoping..... The Flashback 2 comes out in the Intellivision 2 colors and correct db9 wiring. Color change so it is easy to know if controller A works with system A.

But, YES... We can ALWAYS use replacement parts for our favorite system(s)

If you could donate one of each for copying, that would be great - I have a couple of controllers coming my way, but not sure which versions - so I can compare and then see what options are needed / possible

• 3 weeks later...

interested in probably less than 10, but strong interest in getting some for both INTV I and INTV II

The Intellivision II controller is such a pain in the ass to work with, you'll probably get less volume of sale on those. They are found broken quite a bit however.