IGNORED

Carrot Kingdom™ - Work in Progress 32K! - New Demo 10-16-2017

Jinroh

Well I can get past the bread cat almost every time now but those first 2 ghosts on the next level get me every time, I can't shoot one and turn around fast enough to get the other :/

They get me too sometimes. I find it best to kill the one on the left and then the one on the right.

I'm thinking about making the B&W switch also shoot so Flashback Portable players can have an easier time with a two-button setup.

• Like 1

Having no trouble with the single-button set up through Stella. But I'm well used to dynamic controls in games where the controller has one button. Heck, Conan (on the NES) required you to press DOWN to jump (that's right) even though the NES has two buttons AND a D pad.

The ghosts definitely want strategy. Shoot left first on the low ones and right first on the high ones, works for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a quick bump.

I had a work contract so just getting back to work on Carrot Kingdom™, haven't forgot about you guys.

Started working on the next two levels. Playing around trying to get them to feel what direction I wanna go with them. Also re-did the sprites for the next boss. Much improved. :)

Thanks for being patient. :D

Edit:

What's this creepy thing here?

post-23974-0-16249000-1491970919_thumb.png

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for playing :D congrats on beating the bread cat!

Yeah those ghost Carrots are tricky! Even for me. XD

I'm getting back to work on the next segment and the boss so hopefully not too much longer for the next demo. I had to do some searching for a few months for a long term job so that set me back a bit. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Just a bit of an update and how the things will be going forward.

Finished some housekeeping on re-writing some things to give me more bytes in the main bank, as well as finished up the rest of the haunted forest levels.

So now I'm working on the 2nd Boss Battle. After that's done I'm gonna put out another demo. So you guys have some more things to play with.

However, after that I'm going to see about re-writing the collision. I hate it as much as you guys do. After the 2nd boss demo which will be 2/3 of the game more or less, I won't do anymore new development until the collision is good, because if we're going all the way I don't wanna put out Jinny's first game as a crappy collider game.

In the meantime, for potential packaging, manual, promo art, etc. A new artist has offered to lend his services and has done a really nice rendering of Chocolat.

Stay tuned and thanks for being patient!

ChocolatSmall.jpg

Edited by Jinroh

Just a bit of an update and how the things will be going forward.

Finished some housekeeping on re-writing some things to give me more bytes in the main bank, as well as finished up the rest of the haunted forest levels.

So now I'm working on the 2nd Boss Battle. After that's done I'm gonna put out another demo. So you guys have some more things to play with.

However, after that I'm going to see about re-writing the collision. I hate it as much as you guys do. After the 2nd boss demo which will be 2/3 of the game more or less, I won't do anymore new development until the collision is good, because if we're going all the way I don't wanna put out Jinny's first game as a crappy collider game.

In the meantime, for potential packaging, manual, promo art, etc. A new artist has offered to lend his services and has done a really nice rendering of Chocolat.

Stay tuned and thanks for being patient!

ChocolatSmall.jpg

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see more!

• Like 1

Yay! :3

I think this next boss will be fun, because it's different than the Breadcat (not that the Breadcat fight isn't fun) it'll mix things up.

There's a few incidental changes I'd like to make too to flesh the existing stuff out a bit more. Add a few more sounds like flapping for the Fruit Bats and things.

Edited by Jinroh

Oh thanks so much!!

Got a lot of things re-arranged and fixed this weekend. :3

Glad you're enjoying it, the next boss will be a fun time as well.

Who do you like better, Jinny or Chocolat? ;3

I feel like Chocolat would fit better in this game, with the carrot theme, but there's nothing wrong with Jinny. I like both actually. Years ago I used to annoy people on one of my favorite forums by finding a way to work the word "bUnNiEs" into EVERY post I made. BUT, I also used to DJ at a local club and I would sometimes throw in a loud "MEOW, MEOW!" when I was about to play a song requested by my girlfriend/bartender. Now days, I'm fond of trying to talk random people into buying an invisible turtle. I even sweeten the deal by telling them I'll throw in some dehydrated water for free. Everyone knows invisible turtles get thirsty!

• Like 1

Hehe, that's all very peculiar. ^^ With a name like RamrodHare I'd reckon you might prefer Chocolat. ^^ I bet the Meowing would get everyone at the club fired up too! :3 I know I would!

Chocolat hes quite a place in the world of Carrot Kingdom™ and I'm coding her part in now! :3 Her role makes quite a bit more sense, as Jinny's kind of the stranger in a strange land type. ^^ At least in my crazy mind.

Jinny has a wacky story of how she got to the Carrot Kingdom™, which I'll elaborate on in some way. :D

Edited by Jinroh

• 3 weeks later...

Hehe, that's all very peculiar. ^^ With a name like RamrodHare I'd reckon you might prefer Chocolat. ^^ I bet the Meowing would get everyone at the club fired up too! :3 I know I would!

Chocolat hes quite a place in the world of Carrot Kingdom and I'm coding her part in now! :3 Her role makes quite a bit more sense, as Jinny's kind of the stranger in a strange land type. ^^ At least in my crazy mind.

Jinny has a wacky story of how she got to the Carrot Kingdom, which I'll elaborate on in some way. :D

Do you have a rough manual/instructions of fundamentals for this, or is it pretty straight-forward? Subtleties that can be missed? Thanks, looks to be something great in the works!

Yay! :3

I think this next boss will be fun, because it's different than the Breadcat (not that the Breadcat fight isn't fun) it'll mix things up.

There's a few incidental changes I'd like to make too to flesh the existing stuff out a bit more. Add a few more sounds like flapping for the Fruit Bats and things.

Why is it that sometimes when I shoot the carrot I see a heart and sometimes there is no heart? Thanks.

• Like 1

Hehe glad you're enjoying the eye candy. ^_~ More to come.

All these sexualized woodland creatures are making me confused

It's pseudo-random whether or not they drop a heart or not. Can definitely get you out of a pinch sometimes. ^^

Why is it that sometimes when I shoot the carrot I see a heart and sometimes there is no heart? Thanks.

Hehe glad you're enjoying the eye candy. ^_~ More to come.

Good to hear! The artwork inside and outside the game is lovely. The "lives" shot of Jinny is very nicely done. I get what your going for with the jumps. It reminds me of pitfall, which is, of course, iconic. (and, I doubt anyone would say "boo" if you snuck in an extra 8-16K for more fun, and it might save you a few gray hairs ;) )

• Like 1