IGNORED

Best 4-Way Classic Joystick for Emulation?

wolflik3me

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. After searching and reading many threads here, I'm hopeful that members will be able to help me with my search for the perfect joystick to play classic arcade games through emulation.

I've recently purchased a Wii Hori Fight Stick and an Xbox 360 Tournament Edition SF IV arcade stick, hoping one or the other would satisfy my wants. Neither has. Both are good for fighting games and maybe shooters, but are a bit lacking with titles like Donkey Kong and Pacman. I wouldn't mind even having a dedicated stick for the latter if it meant not having missed inputs or being unable to make quick turns. The same is true of the iCade Core I bought for my iPad.

That said, I'm open to suggestions about other options, before blindly choosing and testing yet another controller. I'm interested in joysticks only with arcade quality control as I have many options for gamepads, including NES, SNES, Wii Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, Wii U Classic Controller Pro, PS2, PS4, Xbox 360, Dreamcast, Saturn, Sega, etc. My collection is full of adapters and original gamepads, so that area is covered. I just prefer joysticks based on the feel and nostalgia of playing a game with the controls through which I was first introduced to it.

Since I can't seem to find a modern out of the box solution, I'm looking at suggestions made in other threads for 2600 controllers. Those mentioned elsewhere in the forums include the Tac-2, Suncom Slik Stik, Gemini Gemstik, and the Aneroussis Pacman joystick. I've given up hope of finding a Tomahawk joystick, which was also mentioned, but seem to be rare these days.

For adapters, I hope to use one or both of the following:

USB adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Link-Atari-PC-USB-Cable/dp/B007ZS35CU

Wii / GC adapter: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/genesis_to_wii/index.php?category=Adapters

My question is are these joysticks still serviceable in 2015 or are there better, more modern options? Although ideally it would be great to find a joystick with two action buttons for classic games, I'm willing to compromise and just take a stick that allows for fluid control of Pacman. It also does not have to be for a specific system. I'm also willing to build my own custom stick if it can be done without soldering.

I will consider anything that works with any system, as it's likely I have an adapter that will make it cross-compatible.

I've recently purchased a Wii Hori Fight Stick and an Xbox 360 Tournament Edition SF IV arcade stick, hoping one or the other would satisfy my wants. Neither has. Both are good for fighting games and maybe shooters, but are a bit lacking with titles like Donkey Kong and Pacman. I wouldn't mind even having a dedicated stick for the latter if it meant not having missed inputs or being unable to make quick turns.

I don't know what kind of joystick is used in the "Hori Fight Stick", but I've read that it isn't a very good one. As far as I know, it doesn't have a restrictor which can be rotated for true mechanically-restricted 4-way operation. What you can do though, is buy a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT, which is a very popular and high quality joystick, and which will fit in your Hori Fight Stick housing. It comes with a restrictor that is selectable for 4- or 8-way operation. Here is a guide on how to do it if you don't already know how. If you follow that guide, ignore this part in the "Parts you will need" list:

"Sanwa GT-Y Octagonal Restrictor Plate, you won't want the 4 way plate that comes with your joystick, so get this or the cornerless GT-0, whatever your preference"

Because obviously you will want to use the 4-way selectable restrictor that comes with it.

So, you either need to find a "fight stick" type controller that already has a 4-way selectable joystick (Sanwa isn't the only company which makes such joysticks), or replace the joystick in something you already have, with one that either has a dedicated 4-way restrictor or one that can be rotated to become a 4-way restrictor.

By the way, the Bally/Midway-manufactured 4-way leaf-switch, rubber grommet-based joystick which was original equipment on original U.S. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, and other classic 4-way Bally/Midway arcade machines from the '80s, is widely regarded as the best 4-way joystick ever made (they look like this). Unfortunately, they have been out of production for ages, so the only option is a used one (or NOS, if you're lucky).

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 1

After watching some Youtube videos, I think the Xbox 360 arcade stick I have has a gate that can be rotated. I will try that first and see if it improves control. I really don't want to mess with the Hori stick since everything seems to require desoldering or cutting wires, unlike the other which has quick disconnects.

Just so that I don't have to keep opening the joystick to rotate the gate, I'd like to repurpose at least one housing to be used solely for 4-way gaming. The iCade Core I have comes with a JLF clone (or so I read online). I'm new to joystick modding but read that you can replace that with a 4-way. I've seen some also recommend the Sanwa, but is there another option that doesn't make clicking sounds when moving the stick?

I've seen some also recommend the Sanwa, but is there another option that doesn't make clicking sounds when moving the stick?

Yes, a leaf-switch joystick. Quality ones (such as the Bally/Midway one I mentioned, and arcade joysticks made by Wico) haven't been manufactured in ages. There are some Chinese Wico knockoffs being manufactured (last I knew anyway), but they obviously aren't that great.

Microswitches typically click. There are supposedly silent microswitches (for example), but I don't know if they are truly silent or not (I've never used them).

Nearly all of the "Golden Age" arcade games used leaf switch joysticks (and buttons), the most notable exception being Nintendo (e.g., Donkey Kong, Punch-Out, Popeye, Mario Bros., etc.), who always used microswitches. They started phasing leaf switches out during the JAMMA era. Double Dragon was an early JAMMA game which still used leaf switch joysticks (Wico 8-way; Wico 4- and 8-way leaf switch joysticks having long been the de facto standard back then), but by the time of Street Fighter II, the Happ microswitch joysticks (e.g., Super, Competition, Ultimate) had become the new Wico, and leaf switches never made a comeback.

Edited by MaximRecoil
  • Like 1

I like Seimitsu brand joysticks the most personally but I hope to try out some other brands though.

I use neo geo arcade sticks exclusively at the moment. The neo geo x sticks have usb which could be used on a pc.

I've read about the LS-32-02 Seimitsu sticks this week, and it seems that those are a good option for the type of games I'm looking to play. I saw a variety of restrictor plates that can be attached to those sticks. I've always been interested in the Neo Geo sticks, and actually saw that they made a version for the Wii.

Whoops I forgot to mention the NG stick is 8-way normally and you wanted 4-way. Fortunately a member here made a 3D printed 4-way gate that is available for sale.. you would have to swap out the gates and you'd be good to go.

I believe the original AES stick was a custom LS-30 which are extremely hard to find nowadays but the newer the NGX stick can be upgraded with better Seimitsu parts or even a LS-33, which is has both gates already but needs case modification to mount the stick in the case. All this can get pricey but I think its worth it. That's just me though.. :)

X-Arcade looks like a nice setup though, I wouldn't mind trying one out.

So after doing some more research, I've narrowed my choices to the following:

1. Aneroussis Greek made Pac-Man joystick
  2. Wico Command Control joystick (the bat top variety)
  3. Suncom Tac-2 joystick
  4. Trying to mod a Wii or Xbox 360 stick with a GGG Leaf-Pro (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=365)
  5. Or buying one of these, which have Zippy sticks installed: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Way-Arcade-Joystick-Mame-PC-Pacman-Mr-Do-Frogger-Dig-Dug-/151761532749. My only hesitation with this one is that I'm told the switches are quite clicky and loud.

I appreciate any words of wisdom or votes of confidence before I take the plunge. Has anyone used this adapter with any of the 9-pin sticks listed above: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Link-Atari-PC-USB-Cable/dp/B007ZS35CU. If so, any noticeable lag? I'm blindly betting that it will work with a Mac although it's only officially listed as PC compatible.

Edited by wolflik3me