Photo

Mods/Repair Service - Now Accepting Orders!

463 replies to this topic

#1 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:18 AM

Now Offering Mod and Repair Services!

Hello everyone! It's been a while! wink.gif Let me reintroduce myself. 

My name is Zeke Ortiz (my online alias is The SwampFox or SwampFox56). Four years ago, I took a required class on the fundamentals of soldering on Integrated Circuits. I instantly found that I had a knack for it, and since then, I've learned even more than what I was trained to solder on. I've gotten very good at it and now feel comfortable offering my soldering skills up as a service for those who wish to have their vintage game consoles modded – but don't have the know-how to do it themselves. 

On all consoles I mod, I replace some essential things that will ultimately extend the consoles life (like voltage regulators, capacitors, etc.). I also charge a flat fee of $11.65 for return shipping on all systems. (How did I get $11.65? Well I took $8 and added $3.65 onto it. The $3.65 is to pay for PayPal fee's) 

Some Of The Services I'm offering (for anything else, please email me!)  :)

Click Here for RGB and Component Video (YPbPr) Mods!

Composite RCA, S-Video, Stereo, and other mods

Atari Consoles… 

Atari 2600 (Works on all 4-Switch, 6-switch, and Jr. Models) 

• Composite Video Mod (Dual Mono Sound Output) - $40 (only $5 if already doing 2600RGB or S-video)
  • S-Video Mod - (Dual Mono Sound & Composite Video included) - $65 (only $10 if already doing 2600RGB)
  • Pause Mod (The ability to pause your game, anytime, anywhere) - $20 (Note: This is a feature that comes automatically with the 2600RGB mod)
  • True Stereo Audio Mod (See options below...)
    • True Direct Stereo (Gives you Stereo Audio only, No option of switching to Mono) - $10
    • Mono - Stereo Switch (Switch between Stereo and Mono audio) - $20
    • Stereo Mixing Knob - (With this mod, I mix Stereo Audio with Mono Audio. You can adjust the ratio of Mono to Stereo with the mixing knob. This provides the best audio as higher frequencies are played on separate speakers – while lower frequencies are retained on both sides) - $25
  • Power LED Install (Red, Green, Blue… you name it!) - $5

Atari 5200 (4-Port and 2-Port Systems)

• S-Video Mod - (Dual Mono Sound & Composite Video included) - $65
  • Power Jack Install (4-Port Models Only) - $20 (only $5 if I'm already doing S-Video Mod)

Atari 7800  

• Composite Video Mod (Dual Mono Sound Output with POKEY included) - $40
  • S-Video Mod - (Dual Mono Sound & Composite Video included) - $65
  • Power LED Replacement Color (Red, Green, Blue, Etc.) - $5

Atari Jaguar

• U38 Chip Replacement (If your Jag doesn't turn on – this is likely the culprit) - $40 - Special Inquiry Required. Please Contact Me.

Sega Consoles…

Master System I

• Composite/Audio Jack Install (Hate the proprietary A/V out jack? I'll install regular A/V jacks for you.) - $20 (only $10 if I'm already doing the S-Video Mod)
  • S-Video Mod (Provides a much cleaner picture and is overall… better) - $65
    • (RF Modulator can be removed, and S-Video installed into that existing port if you like)

Master System II 

• Composite Video Mod (Dual Mono Sound Output) - $40 (only $10 if I'm already doing the S-Video Mod)
  • S-Video Mod (Provides a much cleaner picture and is overall… better) - $65
    • (RF Modulator can be removed, and S-Video installed into that existing port if you like)
  • Power LED Install (Red, Green, Blue, Etc.) - $5

Genesis/Mega Drive Model 1

• Composite/Audio Jack Install (Bypass that stupid Multiout Connector) - $20 (only $10 if already doing S-Video)
    • Stereo Mod included
  • S-Video Mod - $65
  • Region Modification - $15 (I will not dremel out the plastic required to put MegaDrive games into the console. Sorry :/ )
    • (Switch between American, and Japanese Region Encoding. This will allow you to play Mega Drive Games on your Genesis and Genesis games on your Mega Drive)
  • 50/60Hz Mod (Switch between PAL and NTSC)
    • $15 (only $5 if I'm already doing the region mod)
  • Overclock + HALT Mod - $40
    • Many games on the Genesis/Mega Drive pushed the system to it's maximum, causing the game to "slow" when lots of stuff is wizzing all over the screen. With a 10MHz overclock, not only does this remove the slow-down in these games. It also makes many games run much smoother and better. 
  • HALT Switch Mod (with no overclock) - $10
    • (Stops the CPU Clock – thus pausing any game anywhere at any time. This mod is also a requirement if you want your system overclocked)

Genesis/Mega Drive Model 2 

• Mods for the Model 2 Genesis are tricky. You need to have the correct board revisions for it to be worth modding it. Check this link to see if you have the correct type of console that I can mod.
    • Composite/Stereo Audio Jack Install - $35 (only $10 if already doing S-Video Mod)
    • S-Video Mod - $45 (Compatible only with Model 2's that have a Sony CXA1145 or Fujitsu MB3514 video encoder.)
    • Overclock + HALT Mod - $45
      • Many games on the Genesis/Mega Drive pushed the system to it's maximum, causing the game to "slow" when lots of stuff is wizzing all over the screen. With a 10MHz overclock, not only does this remove the slow-down in these games. It also makes many games run much smoother and better. 

Sega CD/ Mega CD

• Fuse Replacement (your Sega CD doesn't turn on? This is likely the problem) - $20
  • Laser Replacement (if your console doesn't read games) – Price depends on Laser-type. Anywhere from $40 - $60
  • Power LED Replacement Color (Red, Green, Blue, Etc.) - I will only do this mod, If I'm already working on a Sega CD for other reasons - $5

Sega Game Gear

• Cap replacement - $40 - $20 down-payment required in advance. This is why.
    • If your Game Gear has no audio, poor audio, poor video, or no video – you almost certainly need your caps replaced.

Nintendo Consoles 

• NES Frontloader (NES-001)
    • 72-Pin Connector Replacement (Stops the Blinking Red Light) - $20
      • Disable the Lockout chip (this I will do no matter what I'm doing to the console)
    • True Stereo Audio Mod (See options below…)
      • True Direct Stereo (Gives you Stereo Audio only, No option of switching to Mono) - $20
      • Mono - Stereo Switch (Switch between Stereo and Mono audio) - $25
      • Stereo Mixing Knobs (With this mod, I mix Stereo Audio with Mono Audio. You can adjust the ratio of Mono to Stereo with the mixing knobs. This provides the best audio as higher frequencies are played on separate speakers – while lower frequencies are retained on both sides) - $35
    • Oveclock Mod - 24MHz overclock on the CPU - $30
      • Near the end of it's life, the NES was pushed to it's maximum in terms of hardware capabilities. Because of this, many games start to "slow" when a lot of things start flying across the screen. With overclock, I install a 24MHz Crystal that increases the clock speed of the CPU to 2.0MHz and a switch to select original clock, and overclock speed.. This greatly improves playability in many games that have the "slow down" problems. It does, however, alter the pitch of the audio output when in use.
  • NES TopLoader (NES-101)
    • Composite Video Mod (Dual Mono Sound Output) - $50
    • True Stereo Audio Mod (See options below...)
      • True Direct Stereo (Gives you Stereo Audio only, No option of switching to Mono) - $15
      • Mono - Stereo Switch (Switch between Stereo and Mono audio) - $20
      • Stereo Mixing Knob - (With this mod, I mix Stereo Audio with Mono Audio. You can adjust the ratio of Mono to Stereo with the mixing knob. This provides the best audio as higher frequencies are played on separate speakers – while lower frequencies are retained on both sides) - $25
    • Overclock Mod - 24MHz overclock on the CPU - $30
      • Near the end of it's life, the NES was pushed to it's maximum in terms of hardware capabilities. Because of this, many games start to "slow" when a lot of things start flying across the screen. With overclock, I install a 24MHz Crystal that increases the clock speed of the CPU to 2.0MHz, and a switch to select between original clock, and overclock speed. This greatly improves playability in many games that have the "slow down" problems. It does, however, alter the pitch of the audio output when in use.
    • LED Power light - $5

Something special?

Got something you want/need fixed or modded that's not listed here? Feel free to send me an email! Depending on what you're looking for - I'll let you know if I feel comfortable doing it, and we can discuss a price 
great.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm an honest person. I know that to you, I'm just a person online. But since before I can remember, I've always held doing what's right as a moral guideline. I do not, and will not cut corners when performing modifications on other peoples systems. Doing so (in my opinion) is dishonest and wrong. 

I plan to offer many, many more mod services in the future. However, I'm STARTING with these. Once I've attempted more mods on consoles that are mine (and have done them successfully :P), I will offer them as services.

I know I currently have no reputation here in the community. However, I recently sold three PINBALL machines that I fixed up myself on eBay. As well as various Commodore/Amiga hardware in the past. Here's a link to
my eBay account.

Anyways guys - Thanks for looking at my thread smile.gif I can be contacted at most any time at zeke.ortiz@hotmail.com

- - - Updated - - -

Here's some examples on my work. Unfortunately I started doing these after I did many mods and I need more consoles to make guides on how to do these mods. Some of these are dated. But the Genesis one is very recent, and so is the SNES YPbPr video. smile.gif

Edited by SwampFox56, Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 AM.

#2 Bodyshots OFFLINE  

Bodyshots

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:44 PM

Well written and I believe customer service is very important! Your write up appear very sincere and I'm actually very happy for you - doing something you appear to love! Great job! 

Im sure someone will come knocking very soon!

#3 Iwantgames:) OFFLINE  

Iwantgames:)

Stargunner

• 1,716 posts

Posted Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:40 PM

Could you do something like this?

http://anthonythomas...lit-wonderswan/

#4 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:50 AM

Well written and I believe customer service is very important! Your write up appear very sincere and I'm actually very happy for you - doing something you appear to love! Great job! 

Im sure someone will come knocking very soon!

Thank you. That actually means a lot :) I agree as well. Customer service is my #1 priority. If you hire me to mod your console - I'm going to do a good job. Period. I'd rather send the customer back a non-modded console and refund their money, then do anything other than perfect job.

I've heard of the WonderSwan, but I'm unfamiliar with it in terms of hardware. Is the console already backlit, or is the point replacing the LCD, and finding a better way to backlight the screen? 

Anyways, Yes - I believe I could do it. Although working with bare LCD's is always a bit nerve racking for me. I'd absolutely give it a shot because I've done similar types of things with the Game Gear. However - if I hit something that makes me feel too uncomfortable to continue (as in, I'm almost certain I'll break something), rather than breaking your console - and even though it'd make me look unprofessional... I'd rather send you back something that's working and unchanged, then something that's broken. Otherwise - Yes, I'd could do something like this :)

#5 Iwantgames:) OFFLINE  

Iwantgames:)

Stargunner

• 1,716 posts

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:24 PM

Wonderswan isn't lit at all this is a mod to add a frontlight. I already killed 1 wonderswan Lol my modding skills suck :P

#6 Bodyshots OFFLINE  

Bodyshots

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:58 PM

I think why I love atariage is most people are willing to help - we all had to begin somewhere - There will always be someone more advanced/technical then you or I

#7 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:55 PM

Does your 7800 dual mono pokey sound make games sound better? Comparable to 5200/8bit sound?

#8 gambler172 OFFLINE  

gambler172

River Patroller

• 2,983 posts
  • none

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:50 AM

Hi Zeke
i would like to buy the 7800 mod pack and the
LED Replacement....do you sell this too?
If yes...how much.....
Is it a mod you developed yourself?
greetings Walter

#9 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:25 PM

Does your 7800 dual mono pokey sound make games sound better? Comparable to 5200/8bit sound?

It depends on the game. Not all 7800 games took advantage of the POKEY chip. In fact, so little did that most modders don't bother wiring POKEY to the jacks. By saying that I include POKEY, all I mean is; Yes - I wire up POKEY audio for 7800 games that actually DO take advantage of it.

Hi Zeke
i would like to buy the 7800 mod pack and the
LED Replacement....do you sell this too?
If yes...how much.....
Is it a mod you developed yourself?
greetings Walter

There are premade IC's that you can buy online for the 7800. However - I make my own Integrated Circuits. It's cheaper, and exactly the same as the ones you'd buy online. So technically - yes I develop them myself. Was I the one to discover them? No I wasn't. Anyways - for Composite Out, Dual Mono Audio Out with POKEY included - I'd charge $40 :) (that includes parts + labour.) Keep in mind as well that when working on any console I also replace several Capacitors and the Voltage regulator.

I do this because it tends to guarantee that the console will "live" a much longer life and with the components that I add - there's more strain on the console's power, so it's just good modding practice to replace a few essential caps, and the 7805.

#10 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:55 PM

Can you do any other video mods for the 7800? Like svideo or component?

Edited by adamchevy, Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:55 PM.

#11 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 PM

Can you do any other video mods for the 7800? Like svideo or component?

Component is only theoretically possible. But S-Video? Absolutely. I just don't have it on my list because I don't have the required circuits on-hand. But if you're interested in it, I'd definitely be willing to do it. 

Edited by SwampFox56, Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:01 PM.

#12 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:01 PM

Component is only theoretically possible. But S-Video? Absolutely. I just don't have it on my list because I don't have the required circuits on-hand. But if you're interested in it, I'd definitely be willing to do it. 

How theoretical?

#13 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:35 PM

How theoretical?

As in it's in development, but as far as I know - it's never been done successfully. S-Video is the best you can get on the 7800 for the time being (and according to all the information I read. It'll likely stay that way due to lack of interest from the community :( )

#14 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:58 AM

As in it's in development, but as far as I know - it's never been done successfully. S-Video is the best you can get on the 7800 for the time being (and according to all the information I read. It'll likely stay that way due to lack of interest from the community :( )

I would be very interested in finding something better than svideo for the 7800. Svideo has pretty much disappeared completely from new TVs, so its time to start developing a more modern connection . Im not sure where you would start. I would get together with the guy at electronic sentimentalities and start development if he's interested. Possibly start a forum topic and ask about interest and donations if needed . I would be willing to donate , but you will need more help and support for sure. Also, I would bet the interest for this is pretty high. If you did look into it further I would probably skip component and go HDMI.

#15 Crazy Climber OFFLINE  

Crazy Climber

Crazy Climberer

• 12,174 posts
  • Metamuciler

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:35 AM

I live in MN too :) Where are you? I'm over South (minneapolis)

#16 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:14 PM

I live in MN too :) Where are you? I'm over South (minneapolis)

Haha nice! :P I live in Plymouth (East Side of the Twin Cities). :)

EDIT:

Been up too long obviously... South Minneapolis? A bit of a drive for me since I'm WEST of the Twin Cities, but I wander out there many times in the summer. Great place to look for Garage Sales, there's some great thrift shops (although that's more towards the inner city. Though... I thoroughly enjoy my visits to Cheapo :P ) but yeah lol I live in Plymouth...

Edited by SwampFox56, Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:44 AM.

#17 Machine OFFLINE  

Machine

Chopper Commander

• 218 posts

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:37 AM

Do you do the sound fix on the turbo express?

#18 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:07 PM

Do you do the sound fix on the turbo express?

Look it up online, and the culprit for extremely poor/no audio or video is leaking caps. Very similar to the Game Gear in that respect. Even though I've never worked on any of the Turbo/Pc-Engine consoles - fixing it should be a breeze. So yes I could definitely fix it for you ;)

#19 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,247 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:42 AM

I would like to get a heavy sixxer AV modded, true stereo with a RED led mod.  Can you do this? PM me your shipping address if so.  Do your mods look nice and bright?  I have seen some with a dark picture which I am trying to avoid.

Also, I have a dead Wico (will go up down and right, but not left onscreen), do you repair these at all?

Thanks,

-Rick

#20 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,876 posts

Posted Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:33 AM

PM on the way.

#21 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Fri Nov 6, 2015 4:04 AM

Updated 6th November, 2015

#22 dino999 OFFLINE  

dino999

Star Raider

• 78 posts

Posted Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:46 AM

Do your costs include shipping for USA addresses? I have a heavy sixer with no sound. It's a shame really since it is complete in box. I might have to get rid of it can't be fixed. Would you be able to repair it? If you need more details, just ask.

#23 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:21 AM

Do your costs include shipping for USA addresses? I have a heavy sixer with no sound. It's a shame really since it is complete in box. I might have to get rid of it can't be fixed. Would you be able to repair it? If you need more details, just ask.

I ask people to pay shipping to me, and (depending on the item) I ask them to pay shipping back, or if shipping doesn't exceed $7, I'll pay return shipping. ;)

I can fix it. I mean there's always the very slim chance that it's unfixable, but... I mean that's like one in a thousand. Worst case scenario, I'd have to wire sound directly from the TIA.

If you're serious about getting it fix. Contact me through email (preferably) or PM me. I'd be happy to take care of it :)

Edited by SwampFox56, Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:47 AM.

#24 KreatorKat OFFLINE  

KreatorKat

Moonsweeper

• 318 posts
  • "All dreams are but another reality. Never forget"

Posted Sun Dec 6, 2015 4:54 PM

Hello Zeke, I would soon like to get my Atari 2600 RGB modded and I had a few questions first.  :)  First and most important, what kind of jack is added to the atari to receive the RGB signal with this mod? Is it a SNES/N64/GCN multi out, a VGA connector, a Scart connector, or something else? Secondly, if I got a power LED added, where would it be located on the console? Lastly, how does payment and shipping work? I'm new to sending systems off to be modded; the few modded systems I own that are modded I bought premodded online. Thanks a lot for your help!  :-D

#25 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 302 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Sun Dec 6, 2015 8:40 PM

Hello Zeke, I would soon like to get my Atari 2600 RGB modded and I had a few questions first.  :)  First and most important, what kind of jack is added to the atari to receive the RGB signal with this mod? Is it a SNES/N64/GCN multi out, a VGA connector, a Scart connector, or something else? Secondly, if I got a power LED added, where would it be located on the console? Lastly, how does payment and shipping work? I'm new to sending systems off to be modded; the few modded systems I own that are modded I bought premodded online. Thanks a lot for your help!  :-D

Good questions :)

I use what's included in Tim Worthington's 2600RGB kit; an 8-pin mini-DIN connector, and a regular 4-pin mini-DIN and RCA jack for Composite and S-Video. What I didn't mention in the 2600RGB section is that I also need you to send me a controller so I can install the pallette switch as the 2600RGB board uses a momentary push-button swtich inside the 2600 controller to change palette's, select, and reset. 

The power LED I can install anywhere you want, although most people like it installed next to the On-Off switch for the Atari. 

Anyways, whenever you're ready contact me through email or PM :)

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users