Photo

Mods/Repair Service - Now Accepting Orders!

547 replies to this topic

#501 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,380 posts

Posted Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:02 PM

Ran across this youtube video tonight:

Wonder which member's Genesis consoles he "failed" on....

Great mod work I must say (sarcastic of course). Got to love the end of the video where he keeps prying that 68K even though it is obviously not completely desoldered. You see it bend terribly and it finally gives with some extreme pin damage. Wow. I cringe just viewing this stuff. This guy needs to get in to another field entirely.

Good god! With re-work skills like that I wouldn't let the guy work on anything of mine if he PAID me for the privilege.

1- There is no anti-static mat. At least that looks like a hobby cutting board to me. All work should be done with grounded table, mat, soldering iron, desoldering tool, and even the prying tool. Anything that moves and shuffles creates static which shortens the life of semiconductor parts. And of course, don't forget to test your own ground strap too. For bonus points use a conductive anti-static spray at beginning of the work session.

2- A manual solder-sucker is fine for the occasional wire or resistor. But if you're gonna be desoldering 20+ pin chips you want the right tools. A hakko or met-cal. Or at least something professional grade designed for that duty cycle.

3- Prying chips out. Each pin should be completely desoldered and free of any connection. The chip should lift out with no more force than what a toothpick can provide. Toothpick will break before any traces get lifted. A metal tool like a screwdriver will also dig into the PCB when there are unsoldered pins. Traces can get nicked and cut.

4- I knew it was going to get worse, still, when he had to remove that capacitor to get a pry bar in there.

5- And then to try desoldering from the component side? Wat? I'm speechless at this point. Just hiding under my workbench.

6- I'm getting angry now so I will stop here.

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy this guy an IPC-A-610 course. And 50 scrap boards to practice on! We could sell some fav carts to get the money for it all.

Edited by Keatah, Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:12 PM.

#502 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

Quadrunner

• 5,187 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:03 AM

5- And then to try desoldering from the component side? Wat? I'm speechless at this point. Just hiding under my workbench.

Having done this same 68k transplant myself, with little success... I can tell you that with the Genesis, not all the vias are through hole and in my Genesis's particular case, I did indeed have to add solder to the component side of the legs in addition the bottom. I was getting odd graphic glitches and the like until I did this. Another console that requires soldering on both sides of the board when changing out components is the Vectrex.

So...in some cases, yes, it might very well require you to have to attempt some solder removal from the component side. Don't forget about Cap replacements when dealing with SMD caps...component side.

#503 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:38 PM

The way I do this may be a useful tip to some is I add flux to the top pins before I desolder the bottom(just the bottom) side, it helps it flow, plus making sure the heat is turned up enough to get all the solder out or enough time applied to heat it up, same in reverse.  I'm sure I probably have at some point for whatever odd reason(maybe just pulling a component out where none is going back in) but if so I rarely ever have soldered or desoldered from the top, with the exception of surface mount components.

Edited by SignGuy81, Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:39 PM.

#504 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,778 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:56 PM

60244038.jpg

#505 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,778 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 PM

He's posting on YouTube doing mods for more "customers" over the last 3 days.

Just a heads up to those looking to make another attempt at getting their money or stuff back.

#506 mianrtcv OFFLINE  

mianrtcv

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:38 PM

No shame.

#507 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,267 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:28 AM

Only reason this piece of shit kept coming back giving people hope was to stop people from going to paypal and doing chargebacks . Now too much time has passed . As I watch this video almost getting sick from anger he speaks about being professional and his new customers . 

#508 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:48 AM

Wonder who's 5200 that is?

#509 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,267 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:58 AM

Wonder who's 5200 that is?

A new customers  ;)

#510 SwampFox56 OFFLINE  

SwampFox56

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 304 posts
  • Turricanator

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:00 AM

All these "new videos" are just archival footage - dated a year ago. That 5200 belongs to Nuclear Pacman

#511 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:01 AM

A new customers  ;)

That is what confuses me seeing how in his description in the youtube vid part one he has "My email is - zeke.ortiz@hotmail.com (no longer offering mod services)"

#512 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,772 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:13 AM

Using a pliers to yank a part out!  He must break more than he fixes.

#513 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:18 AM

I'm going to be selling off some of my personal systems to get the money to ship things back to people. I don't want to alarm anyone. That's why I'm telling you all.

So how did that work out, did you get money and ship things back?

#514 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,778 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 5:41 PM

All these "new videos" are just archival footage - dated a year ago. That 5200 belongs to Nuclear Pacman

And posting shit like that on youtube is just trolling all the people you have ripped off. You clearly have no shame. Just exactly when did you smash your moral compass and decide that basic human decency was so overrated?

#515 Laner OFFLINE  

Laner

Moonsweeper

• 465 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:22 PM

Ativan is a helluva drug

#516 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Launch Edition

• 5,941 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 8:43 PM

Send me back my DINA 2-in-One.

#517 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,380 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 9:39 PM

Lousy workmanship on getting that RF modulator out. If you learn do it correctly, it will fall off the board all by itself.

Bending the board and the voltage regulator heatsink like shown is stressing solder joints and potentially the leads that go into components. Let's all do trauma surgery without anesthetic.

---

As far as mounting jacks for plugs.. I would never ruin the side and clean lines of the 5200. They can be mounted on angled surfaces and still be "flat" with a compensating offset - so they are perfectly parallel with the table, thus allowing room for cables with THE longest strain reliefs.

Going through the side screams C H E A P ! !

Edited by Keatah, Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:01 PM.

#518 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,380 posts

Posted Sun Oct 1, 2017 9:44 PM

Having done this same 68k transplant myself, with little success... I can tell you that with the Genesis, not all the vias are through hole and in my Genesis's particular case, I did indeed have to add solder to the component side of the legs in addition the bottom. I was getting odd graphic glitches and the like until I did this. Another console that requires soldering on both sides of the board when changing out components is the Vectrex.

So...in some cases, yes, it might very well require you to have to attempt some solder removal from the component side. Don't forget about Cap replacements when dealing with SMD caps...component side.

A soldering iron with sufficient reserve capacity will take care of the via situation. Failing that, you can use an air pencil to augment it. In any case, with through hole parts, you should only need to suck solder from one side one time.

For SMT caps and other similar parts you'll be using hot tweezers or an air pencil.

Edited by Keatah, Sun Oct 1, 2017 9:48 PM.

#519 AtariBrian OFFLINE  

AtariBrian

River Patroller

• 3,267 posts

Posted Mon Oct 2, 2017 6:18 PM

I am so sickened by this piece of shit . And he can't/doesn't want to scrounge up a bit of money to get people their consoles back as is . Granted he probably broke or sold off their stuff . God I wish I lived anywhere near you .

#520 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,207 posts

Posted Wed Oct 4, 2017 10:18 PM

I am so sickened by this piece of shit . And he can't/doesn't want to scrounge up a bit of money to get people their consoles back as is . Granted he probably broke or sold off their stuff . God I wish I lived anywhere near you .

I’ve read a few negative topics on Atariage in the past, but this one really strikes a nerve. Why hasn’t this guy been banned and his posts deleted? I guess it’s nice that this topic exists as a warning. I’m not current on who’s consoles haven’t been returned as agreed, but if I’m close by I would be happy to go pick them up and ups them back to their owners.

#521 7800fan OFFLINE  

7800fan

Quadrunner

• 5,275 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:04 AM

Don't delete, just ban him. So other people researching on him can see he's a snake oil salesman offering politic grade bullshit.

#522 CPUWIZ OFFLINE  

CPUWIZ

Commander

• 32,464 posts
  • Cartridge Recycler

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:17 AM

If we ban him, then people can't harass him via PM.  I am surprised nobody has sent the cops yet, to be honest.

#523 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 770 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:25 PM

He was probably too embarrassed to send people's stuff back after ripping pads and traces off of boards.  I think I remember one post where he said he didn't make money doing this so maybe it is because the original ones he did that he actually sent back was because he had to buy working consoles to replace boards he screwed up in the consoles people sent him?

#524 Bodyshots OFFLINE  

Bodyshots

Dragonstomper

• 583 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 5:34 PM

That would make sense

#525 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 2,772 posts

Posted Thu Oct 5, 2017 7:23 PM

Check this video out at 6:05.  It's mind boggling.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users