Photo

Alex Kidd on Miracle Island - Playable Demo

114 replies to this topic

#101 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 AM

Could you have a corrupted version?  What version of the F18A are you using?

I loads up just fine here using version 1.8 and the copy of Alex Kidd I just downloaded << HERE >>.

The only thing I notice is that I need to do a power cycle after use to clear the F18A settings.

#102 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,907 posts

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 AM

Could you have a corrupted version?  What version of the F18A are you using?

I loads up just fine here using version 1.8 and the copy of Alex Kidd I just downloaded << HERE >>.

The only thing I notice is that I need to do a power cycle after use to clear the F18A settings.

The issue is when you run it without the F18A. It doesn't work in JS99er either when you turn off the F18A emulation.

#103 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:29 AM

The issue is when you run it without the F18A. It doesn't work in JS99er either when you turn off the F18A emulation.

Ahhh..... so much for reading the message thread backwards before morning coffee.  My bad!  :skull:

#104 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,907 posts

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 AM

This comes back to me now. :) The issue is that Alex Kidd is not setting the 16K RAM bit in VDP reg 1.

#105 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 AM

I'm not trying to twist anyones arm, pressure them or suggest they do anything, but it does seem that Alex Kidd would make a nice full FG99/F18A exploit game.  Of course the same could be said about the Raycaster demo Castle Wolfenstein, or the Power Strike Demo or a half-dozen other examples.  

I wonder which programmer is going to be the first to ring in the 'new era' in TI gaming?

#106 TheMole OFFLINE  

TheMole

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 806 posts

Posted Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:01 AM

This comes back to me now. :) The issue is that Alex Kidd is not setting the 16K RAM bit in VDP reg 1.

Yeah, and although I fixed this in a number of places, apparently some code paths were still setting reg 1 to zero instead of just resetting the blanking bit. That's fixed now. However, the bug persisted. It falsely detected an F18A when there was non installed. Turns out my F18A detection code (reading the status register, priming a different status register and comparing the two values) was hopelessly naive. I changed the implementation a bit, and now it works as it should in js99er. If someone can test it on real iron, I'd be very grateful.

Fixed rpk here: Attached File  alexkidd.rpk   54.9KB   19 downloads

#107 TheMole OFFLINE  

TheMole

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 806 posts

Posted Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:11 AM

Yes, I think that "F18A incorrectly detected when not actually present" what is causing the crash.  Or I guess it could also be the detection code itself leaves the system in an unstable state even if the F18A in not detected.  I do know that holding the fire button to bypass the detection does work, although it then skips past the lovely title screen too quickly.

Level 2 is hard!

Thanks for reporting, and for playing! I don't test the 9918a version nearly enough myself, so if you see anything else amiss I'd love to hear it.

Yeah, level 2 and 3 in the demo are fairly faithful copies from levels in the original Sega Master System game, but they are from later in the game (levels 4 and 7, I believe) and probably a bit too hard compared to the beach level. The whole demo has balancing issues throughout, so that's something I'm trying to be aware of while planning the full game :).

Let me know if you get to level three, that one's a doozy ;)

#108 RupanIII OFFLINE  

RupanIII

Moonsweeper

• 359 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:06 PM

Ah, thread is here, sweet. How's this going? 3 levels done sofar in the demo? 

With SEGA's love of spreading their brand,  maybe you could get their blessing on the game these days for little more than the fact that you have put your effort into it. 
Heck, maybe it could end up as one of Coleco's Mini Arcade games if it went far enough. 

I'm just spitballing ideas. You + Pico or You + Sega etc. 
How are the Ti emulators running on Pi? I haven't dabbled in that yet. 

#109 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 PM

Has anyone managed to get Alexkid working on the FlashRom99? I cannot get the file to be displayed on the FlashRom99 menu. All other games are working OK.

Thanks

Rick

#110 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:34 PM

Look at the file size.  It's 512K.  It works on the FinalGROM just fine, but I don't think you'll have any luck on the FlashROM.

#111 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:02 PM

Ok because Alexkid is available in the roms list for the FlashRom99 in the repository so maybe this is a mistake then. ;-)

#112 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:34 PM

I'll fix that this evening.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  It's now been fixed, so hopefully no one else will have the same issue.  :thumbsup:

Edited by --- Ω ---, Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 PM.

#113 repetto74 OFFLINE  

repetto74

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 AM

This Alexkid looks solid!! May push people to switch to the FinalGROM just to play it  :D  :D  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

#114 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

HexaCoreRunner

• 12,980 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:13 AM

This Alexkid looks solid!! May push people to switch to the FinalGROM just to play it  :D  :D  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

It's possible.  With the FinalGROM games can be 'rather large' up to 1 megabyte (try doing that on a regular TI system).

From what I understand, at the moment there are few programmers who know how to exploit the bank switching involved, but when/if they come up with a 'killer idea' I'll bet they'll learn.

With a larger percentage of the active TI community owning a FinalGROM at this point, any larger capacity games written specifically for it WILL get played and enjoyed.  And like you said, when people see these games in action (like YouTube videos), they'll want an FG99 too!

In some ways I wish I could look into the future a couple of years FinalGROM's & F18A's make a potent combination.  There will always be games that cater to minimal standards, but WOW some of this new stuff.

#115 TheMole OFFLINE  

TheMole

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 806 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:30 PM

Ah, thread is here, sweet. How's this going? 3 levels done sofar in the demo? 

Look at me, replying to a year-old post... but yeah, three levels done. Still basically stuck where I left it with the demo, I've done graphics for some of the missing game features (the shop, special power-ups, a few more enemies etc...), but a hard-drive crash, deadlines at work and some gcc issues sucked all of the momentum out of the project. I really should spend some time setting things up again, but I'm getting married in a couple of months which is taking up a lot of my free time so perhaps I should just focus my efforts on the 4k coding contest instead for now :).

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users