IGNORED

.BIN Repository - Images for cartridges that require "burning" - (NO LONGER UPDATED OR SUPPORTED)

Omega-TI

I might consider the blue board, later. If the EEPROM can be programmed on the board (natively from the TI) then I could use that instead of the SuperSpace II for development. For now a red board with a ZIF will allow me to move EPROMs in and out while I play around, and the FlashROM 99 allows me to go from assembly to cartridge in less than 60 seconds. As I have no interest in GROM-based anything, that is not a compelling feature for me.

The blue board does not allow the ROM part to be programmed natively from the TI.

And I expect it would take additional logic to set up scheme for the bank-switching logic to move to a different address. But then, what address could you use if you are planning to program into the entire space? Maybe a "knock-knock:" since programming is sequential, hit a couple of high-end addresses in a specific order to put the logic into programming mode, or take it out. Say hit >7FFF with $AA, then >6FFF with $55 for program and $55, $AA for read-only.

I do not suspect simple logic could be employed here easily, huh? Probably need a micro controller.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad to see that someone is still thinking about this board! :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong, I think the FR99 is really great for existing software and all, but the Blue Board is where I see the potential for

"THE NEXT BIG THING". (I have ideas, one only needs to ask!!) ;)

Besides... my burner is getting lonely just sitting there not being used. :_(

gallery_35324_1027_18485.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I should add some images here too. What you have here are the images to use with the 512K Red board:

Educational Modules

Games 1

Games 2

Games 3

Games 4

Games 5

Games 6

Utilities 1

Utilities 1 V2 (changes out many of the utilities with V9938/V9958 80-column programs--not for F18A)

Also included are two files for use with the 2048K Yellow boards:

2048K Games 1

1024K Games 3 (Why 3? Because at some point I will also break up the 2048K Games cartridge to make a version for 1024K Games 1 and 2, just to make identical sets).

All of these are the latest versions of the code I use, with the last modification to the 2048K module done just four days before Gazoo left us and joined all of the other great TI programmers who have already left this world we live in.

I am seeing a crash when running the 2nd to last game on 1024 games 3.. (virus xxx) on hardware and classic99..

Greg

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am a bit newbie here to figure out how it works:

Are there detailed (step-by-step) instructions how to burn the Uber-Grom card?

(I am having difficulties to see the whole process and it is a bit trial and error now,

I read through the forum, but could not find 1-2-3 clear instructions).

Step 1: I need to use the MiniProgrammer to flash the ATMEL1248P correct?

Click the code memo tab and then click the file tab and open to load the 128k flash file (must be a .bin file).

Click the data memo tab and then click the file tab and open to load the EEprom file (must be a .bin file).
(I found in the XB27 package a Flash128k file, but also a 512K file and a EEProm file)
then other postings only have 1x bin file (can I use the Flash128K file).
[EDIT] for example, which of the programming files I put on the ATMEL1248P chip?
[EDIT] and how do I put the other software on the ATMEL AT49F040 ? is there a procedure)
> which files are these, as I only see sometimes single .bin files in the forum.
> Once I programmed/flashed it, can I overwrite it again with another .bin file ?
(and is there a limitation or can it be done as many times as possible ?)

I found the PDF of Gazoo (posted via Ralf)

"MiniPro programmer, it CAN program 1284p chips!" (he is using v6.10)

I had version 6.17 (also via Ralf) which has the ATMELMEGA1248P in the list,

but the software complained it was outdated and I got the v6.50 installed, but

[EDIT[ -> ATMEL1248P is in the list (type it in the search window)

http://www.autoelectric.cn/download.html

Step 2: Do I need to program the AT49F040 as well (I do not think so as it is memory only) ?

(I have a socket PLCC32 for the MiniProgrammer)

http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/genesis_cart/doc0998.pdf

Step 3 - Tursi has the GromCFG tool (I have used that before with the XB2.7 to upgrade to newer images)

(but that can only be done once the hardware is running and an image is on the module already,

like XB or EA?).

or do I use this tool to flash the .bin files to the Chip ?

Edited by globeron

In answer to your question, here is Gazoo's step-by-step process for the MiniPro. Using this process you take the EEPROM file and the 128K flash file and program them into the ATMEGA1284P. If the UberGROM image also has a 512K file, you must program that file into one of the 49F040 chips (or a 29F040, as some folks have had better luck programming them--and they are interchangeable). Note: most existing UberGROM images have all three files, so you MUST program both chips of the image is incomplete.

I use this guide to program every UberGROM cartridge I make. Don't skip any steps and it will always work (assuming the chip is original and it is inserted properly).

One note on the PLCC socket: Many have had issues programming the 49F040 chips. Interestingly, those isuues have all been traced back to the quality of the socket used in the programmer adapter. I strongly suggest you spend the $35 or so to buy one of the flap-type sockets, as these have never exhibited problems when programming the chips. Gazoo wouldn't touch 49F040s, because his adapter was really iffy with them (but had no problem with the 29F040s). I used his programmer and my adapter and was able to get the 49F040 chips to program first time, every time. I've programmed a couple of hundred of them this way. . .

Programming with the MiniPro programmer.pdf

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2

In answer to your question, here is Gazoo's step-by-step process for the MiniPro. Using this process you take the EEPROM file and the 128K flash file and program them into the ATMEGA1284P. If the UberGROM image also has a 512K file, you must program that file into one of the 49F040 chips (or a 29F040, as some folks have had better luck programming them--and they are interchangeable). Note: most existing UberGROM images have all three files, so you MUST program both chips of the image is incomplete.

I use this guide to program every UberGROM cartridge I make. Don't skip any steps and it will always work (assuming the chip is original and it is inserted properly).

One note on the PLCC socket: Many have had issues programming the 49F040 chips. Interestingly, those isuues have all been traced back to the quality of the socket used in the programmer adapter. I strongly suggest you spend the $35 or so to buy one of the flap-type sockets, as these have never exhibited problems when programming the chips. Gazoo wouldn't touch 49F040s, because his adapter was really iffy with them (but had no problem with the 29F040s). I used his programmer and my adapter and was able to get the 49F040 chips to program first time, every time. I've programmed a couple of hundred of them this way. . .

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the fast reply. I found the document earlier today and those steps work okay for the ATMEGA1284P.

What I did not do yet is to programme the 49F040s (I opened an earlier XB2.7 and saw a sticker on it and realised it need to be programmed)

Sorry if I ask basic questions here (or maybe it is somewhere explained already or in a video),

but I am still having trouble to see the logic here.

Question:

1. Do I also follow the same steps for these chips to be programmed (with all the same settings as in the PDF? as it indicates only ATMEGA1284P

2. Are the Flash128 and EEprom files kind of standard for each UberGrom built?

or does it depend on the complete package. (or do I only program the 49F040s with unique software?)

3. If I want to load for example Rasmus 8-1 cart, then I only push the .bin to the 49F040 correct?

(and leave the ATMEGA1284P with the flash128 and EEprom)

Good news, I just managed to get the XB27 image burned on the UberGrom

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229718-extended-basic-v27-suite-cartridge/page-21

XBv27 060315.zip

PS. the text hidden in the EEprom file is interesting :-)

For the ATMEL AT49F040 chip first I got an error:

> post-39490-0-13375800-1483024984_thumb.jpg

Then pressed the "ID" icon

> post-39490-0-98876700-1483024978.jpg

After that it worked to burn the 512k file

> post-39490-0-10932400-1483024981_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next item to sort out is how to get another .bin on the module

Also got the Rasmus 8-1 image to work (512K image burned to the ATMEL AT49F040 chip)

(then tested, but the XB27 menu came back, however pressing A or B opened up the games, like Sabre Wulf, Bouncy)

then I put the 128Kflash image (of the XBv27 060315.zip file on the ATMEGA1284P), but without the EEprom file and followed

the same procedure (thus also overwriting the data portion).

Now the module works okay.

I think we need to update the installation document for the UberGrom as it is not so clear.

(Next week I will test some other packages and can put it in a document to share with everyone), maybe it is good to put it in Message #1

I think we need to update the installation document for the UberGrom as it is not so clear.

(Next week I will test some other packages and can put it in a document to share with everyone), maybe it is good to put it in Message #1

Cool! I'll be happy to include anything into message #1 that will be of help to people. Sometimes those that are new to things have the greatest insights into what will help others in the future. In the meantime, while I don't want it to appear to be a shameless plug for my blog, I'll link to an entry that has some PDF files that may be of some help. << LINK HERE >>

The EEPROM and 128K Flash files are for the Atmel 1284, and are ONLY needed if your image uses GROM. All files intended to work in concert with a 1284 will have the EEPROM file and the 128K Flash file--and they MAY (all but one do) have a 512K BIN file for the 49F040. Please note: 512K BIN files that DON'T have associated EEPROM and 128K Flash files are intended for the Red boards. They will work fine when burned to a 49F040 and put into the UberGROM, but you should remove the Atmel 1284, as it serves NO function with those stand-alone 512K Red board images.

The process you used for XB 2.7 will work for any image specified to need the UberGROM. You need to install an Atmel ATMEGA1284P for these images.

If using the UberGROM board as a substitute home for the Red board 512K images, Don't install an Atmel ATMEGA1284P.

I hope this helps clarify things. :)

• Like 1

The EEPROM and 128K Flash files are for the Atmel 1284, and are ONLY needed if your image uses GROM. All files intended to work in concert with a 1284 will have the EEPROM file and the 128K Flash file--and they MAY (all but one do) have a 512K BIN file for the 49F040. Please note: 512K BIN files that DON'T have associated EEPROM and 128K Flash files are intended for the Red boards. They will work fine when burned to a 49F040 and put into the UberGROM, but you should remove the Atmel 1284, as it serves NO function with those stand-alone 512K Red board images.

The process you used for XB 2.7 will work for any image specified to need the UberGROM. You need to install an Atmel ATMEGA1284P for these images.

If using the UberGROM board as a substitute home for the Red board 512K images, Don't install an Atmel ATMEGA1284P.

I hope this helps clarify things. :)

I will try the standalone 512 images without ATMEGA1248P next week when I am back.

And I also will follow your advise:

"I strongly suggest you spend the $35 or so to buy one of the flap-type sockets, as these have never exhibited problems when programming the chips. "

This is why....:-)

First of all it is a "pain in the neck" to get those chips out of the sockets easily,

and I broke 1x pin I/O 0 on the ATMEL 49F040 chip, (and also the pin in the burning socket is a bit bended now, so I am going to get the ones you adviced)

> post-39490-0-30796400-1483058138_thumb.jpg

> post-39490-0-05722100-1483058144_thumb.jpg

Module with the paper-clip, everything works normal (Rasmus 8 in 1 games)

> post-39490-0-67203700-1483058149_thumb.jpg

Also I tried running the module without the paper-clip on I/O 0 (was curious if it was needed or not):

> post-39490-0-19165500-1483058155_thumb.jpg

Ebay has a real inexpensive PLCC extractor << HERE >> that is dirt cheap with shipping included. The extractor will make it easier to deal with your 49F040's in the future. I noticed from your photo that you seated the 49F040 all the way down into the socket, I recommend against that. You can use a ruler or the side of a PLCC extractor to insert it as a 'flush fit'... that will make it easier to remove the chip in the future if you want to re-task a chip.

The 49F040's are not too expensive, but it's heartbreaking to bugger up the pins on a 1284P... Sadly, I've been been there and done that, so I highly recommend one of these...

gallery_35324_1027_31106.jpg

When I first got into programming my own cartridges, Ksarul also recommended the flip type PLCC programming socket to me. That was damn good advice. I get a perfect program EVERY TIME and I don't have to mess with digging the chip out of a cheap-o socket.

gallery_35324_1027_71907.jpg

Yes, that gallery_35324_1027_206.jpg is a great little cartridge! One of my favorites.

• Like 2

Thank you for the reply Omega (I have the extractor), but a good idea not to push them till the bottom (this is the first time doing it)

Maybe for next UberGrom versions it is good to have this flip type on the module as well (flip type PLCC programming socket)

so that it is easier to burn several 49F040s and switch between them (if the socket is not too big to close the shell of the cartridge) ?

Maybe for next UberGrom versions it is good to have this flip type on the module as well (flip type PLCC programming socket)

so that it is easier to burn several 49F040s and switch between them (if the socket is not too big to close the shell of the cartridge) ?

I dunno, the FR99 has taken a lot of the load off my MiniPRO so I've not considered that as an option.

• Like 1