IGNORED

What was the first system you programmed?

Ransom

That is, what was the first electronic system you gave a series of instructions to, that it then followed out?

The first one for me was the Big Trak:

81da0fmlxpL._SL1500_.jpg

Which you could program to go forward or backward, turn, fire its weapon, or, if you had the optional Big Trak Transport, tell it to dump its load.

big30.JPG

After that, I believe the next thing was Atari 2600's BASIC Programming (big disappointment!), then a Heathkit computer we had at school (I typed in a Lunar Lander program), and then finally the Atari 400 with Atari BASIC.

How about you?

• Like 8

sml_gallery_35324_1027_11826.jpgRadio Shack TRS-80 Model I

For me it was the 4K version of the TRS-80 Model I. I was still in junior high school at the time, so whenever my folks went to town I would go into the Radio Shack store and stand in front of that thing for HOURS! It was a lot of fun.

Years later (before I worked for Radio Shack) I went in for some items and was taken by the sales girl, so I banged out a quick program on the Model III they had on display that asked the sales girl out on a date... It worked, we went out for over three years. :)

• Like 2

For me it was my first home computer, a Commodore VIC-20. The first one in school (after the VIC-20) was a TRS-80 Model III.

Somebody call the police! Bill Loguidice stole my personal history! :D

atariage.com/forums/topic/164351-your-first-computer/?p=2029694

atariage.com/forums/topic/180824-what-does-atari-mean-to-you/?p=2264396

atariage.com/forums/topic/236551-show-support-for-a-trs-80-sub-forum-post-here/?p=3205407

Jr. High School: (through 1983)

Commodore PET 2001: We had a bunch of them - https://2warpstoneptune.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/commodore-pet-2001.jpg

Personal - TI-99/4A

High School: (1983-)

Commodore PET 2001

Until '84, when we got all Apple IIc computers, (and I ended up getting one as well)

Personal - Apple IIc

Used the IIc until building my first Intel-386 (around '90)

The IIc is where I taught myself 6502 assembly

BTW, I actually had that Big-Trak as well!

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1

Not counting the type-in programs on the Commodore 64 back in 83, the first system I actually learned programming on was an Apple II with BASIC in high school. The SuperNES was the new hotness so I was inspired by making shapes scale and rotate on the Apple...very...slowly.

When I was a kid, I liked to "draw" using the typewriter at my mom's office... my own ASCII art! Then I learned a little about the TELEX machine she had, and started to "save" my artwork in punched paper ribbons, so I could recreate my art later. I don't know if that counts!!!

T1000_perspective_01.jpg

I started learning BASIC programming in a Sinclair ZX-81 and wrote 2 simple games in about a month. Then I moved to an Atari 800XL and "ported" one of those games :grin:

• Like 2