Photo

Star Raiders Source Code to be released?

227 replies to this topic

#201 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:38 PM

I wouldn't want the background to be black when shields are on. 

#202 gilsaluki OFFLINE  

gilsaluki

Dragonstomper

• 653 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:37 PM

I am going to finally play some S.R.  I have had the game for over 30 years, never played it.  Checked out the gameplay on Youtube.  I will play it now.  All those buttons bored me when I was a youth.  Now I am interested.

#203 FifthPlayer OFFLINE  

FifthPlayer

Moonsweeper

• 301 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:46 PM

I wouldn't want the background to be black when shields are on. 

Exactly.  Space viewed through the windows is blue due to the energy field produced by the shield emitters.  Duh.

#204 kiwilove OFFLINE  

kiwilove

Dragonstomper

• 664 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:12 PM

Exactly.  Space viewed through the windows is blue due to the energy field produced by the shield emitters.  Duh.

The reason why I prefer to see the black background in Star Raiders while playing - is that for me, it keeps the illusion of travelling in space alive - I would enjoy being in that illusion. And I prefer a clear view to have a good view.

Whereas from the technology viewpoint - you'd want a shield present in such a space battle - and would make logical sense you'll be seeing through the protective shield as such. But with even more advanced technology - it would be possible for an invisible shield to be present - so back to the black background.

It would be nice to be able to choose your option - like in Stratos - you can can change the background colour, as well as the city colours, and the sound pitch, by pressing the appropriate keys on the title screen.

Harvey

#205 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 16,892 posts

Posted Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:33 PM

As long as it isn't that sick green color that so many people seem to think is correct..

#206 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,464 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:58 PM

Aric dropped these off today. These are the latest find from his garage.

Probably in Atari Editor format.

Pretty cool...

Bob

Attached File  D1_11_5.atr   90.02KB   108 downloadsAttached File  D1_SRC_4_4_85.atr   90.02KB   64 downloadsAttached File  D3_A_11_5.atr   90.02KB   85 downloadsAttached File  D3_B_11_5.atr   90.02KB   57 downloadsAttached File  D3_SRC_4_4_85.atr   90.02KB   90 downloadsAttached File  SR_Design_Document.atr   90.02KB   95 downloads

#207 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts

Posted Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:02 PM

Dear Bob!

What a Happy New Year! Thank you and Aric so much!!!!!!!!! :-))))

If you can do the same with OSS BASIC XE source, as you have done with XL, you really would make our year in January!

I am in contact with Bill Wilkinson's son, would be so cool! :-)))

Mega-thanks in the name of the community. :-))))

#208 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:24 AM

Just forgot:

Attached File  SR_Design_Document.txt   41.62KB   128 downloads

from the document disk.

#209 bob1200xl OFFLINE  

bob1200xl

River Patroller

• 2,464 posts

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:49 AM

The SR2A file had been stepped on.

Picky, picky, picky...

I fixed the link on sector 189. Looks better. SR2A is there, now.

Bob

Attached File  SR_Design_Fix.atr   90.02KB   75 downloads

#210 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:13 AM

And the fix for the entire DOC-document:

Attached File  SR_Design_Document.txt   52.07KB   110 downloads

#211 Savetz OFFLINE  

Savetz

Dragonstomper

• 784 posts

Posted Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:15 PM

Here are the SR II Design Document and Program Notes, from Aric's disks, converted to PDF, formatted, and spellchecked.

Attached Files

#212 lwiest OFFLINE  

lwiest

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:09 AM

It's thrilling to see the huge amount of responses the re-surfaced STAR RAIDERS source code generated!

During the last years, as a hobby afterhours project, I reverse-engineered a complete, extensively documented assembly language source code of STAR RAIDERS directly from the binary file of the ROM cartridge. It is available on GitHub (http://github.com/lwiest/StarRaiders).

IMHO, the extensive documentation of my reverse-engineered version seems to complement the original source code quite nicely, making it useful for you if you are curious about the internals of STAR RAIDERS or if you plan to make your own, modified versions.

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

#213 UNIXcoffee928 OFFLINE  

UNIXcoffee928

Stargunner

• 1,172 posts

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:11 AM

It's thrilling to see the huge amount of responses the re-surfaced STAR RAIDERS source code generated!

During the last years, as a hobby afterhours project, I reverse-engineered a complete, extensively documented assembly language source code of STAR RAIDERS directly from the binary file of the ROM cartridge. It is available on GitHub (http://github.com/lwiest/StarRaiders).

IMHO, the extensive documentation of my reverse-engineered version seems to complement the original source code quite nicely, making it useful for you if you are curious about the internals of STAR RAIDERS or if you plan to make your own, modified versions.

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

All I have to say is !WOW! that is more than a reverse engineering, that is a thing of beauty!

Your source code should be released as a textbook on how to properly document code! Unbelievably impressive. I can't say that I have ever seen code, in any language, as well-documented, and as precisely formatted. This work of yours should be a semester long class in how to properly prepare a technical document! I am utterly astonished, to the point of being completely flabbergasted, at the great pains that you took to achieve this... this... piece of art. If you aren't working for NASA, you darn-right should be!

Thank you for all of your efforts! I will always keep this code and use it to show people what a properly documented piece of software should look like. 

#214 luckybuck OFFLINE  

luckybuck

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:47 AM

Lorenz!

That is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will put it in the Wiki. Tera-Thanks to you. If there is ever an assembly source code, it dam should look like yours. That is a milestone!

All Atari languages in this highest quality and I would be wishless lucky. All Christmas events can be skiped then.

Thank you so much in the name of the community!

https://atariwiki.or...ge=Star Raiders

https://atariwiki.or...by Lorenz Wiest

;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

ico_goteam.gif

ico_notworthy.gif ico_notworthy.gif ico_notworthy.gif ico_notworthy.gif ico_notworthy.gif

ico_occasion14.gif

StarRaiders_animated.gif

Edited by luckybuck, Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:23 AM.

#215 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 6,164 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:25 AM

Enjoy! -- Lorenz

Excellent piece of work there!  Thanks for sharing.

#216 Heaven/TQA OFFLINE  

Heaven/TQA

Quadrunner

• 10,112 posts

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:39 AM

Great stuft!

#217 dkerfoot OFFLINE  

dkerfoot

Chopper Commander

• 104 posts

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:25 PM

Forgive me for dredging up an old topic but I just found this and am eager to try the file.  How can I run StarRaiders-Fastdiv3.zip on real Atari hardware - preferably via SDrive?  I am not familiar with any of the file types contained within.

#218 Kyle22 ONLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,876 posts

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 PM

Just load the object file

Edit: The one in the .zip you mentioned.  Simple.

Edit:Edit: I was gonna let this go a while to see what happens, but I decided to have mercy. Simply rename the .obx file to .com, .exe, .xex or whatever extension your loader likes.

:)

Edited by Kyle22, Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 PM.

#219 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,352 posts

Posted Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:53 PM

:)  sorry I just had to comment...  Kyle you madman! Glad you had mercy on them! :)

#220 dkerfoot OFFLINE  

dkerfoot

Chopper Commander

• 104 posts

Posted Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 AM

Simply rename the .obx file to .com, .exe, .xex or whatever extension your loader likes.

Thanks

#221 clanky OFFLINE  

clanky

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 PM

This is so amazingly impressive - and very useful to me, as I've been working on an iOS homage to Star Raiders called "Zylon Defenders" and this will prove invaluable in emulating the swarming behavior of Zylon fighters. 

We're going into alpha testing later this month - let me know if anyone here would be interested in testing. Requires a reasonably recent iOS device; iPad or iPhone. 

Thanks again, Lorenz!

IMG_2928.PNG

IMG_2926.PNG

IMG_2927.PNG

#222 Kyle22 ONLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 2,876 posts

Posted Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:07 PM

Mine is an iPhone 6. IOS 10.3.something. Will that work?

Edit: 10.3.1

Edited by Kyle22, Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:08 PM.

#223 clanky OFFLINE  

clanky

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 AM

More than fine. send me your email address and I'll add you to the beta list - jglasse at gmail youknowtherest.

#224 gozar OFFLINE  

gozar

Dragonstomper

• 748 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 PM

This is so amazingly impressive - and very useful to me, as I've been working on an iOS homage to Star Raiders called "Zylon Defenders" and this will prove invaluable in emulating the swarming behavior of Zylon fighters. 

We're going into alpha testing later this month - let me know if anyone here would be interested in testing. Requires a reasonably recent iOS device; iPad or iPhone. 

Thanks again, Lorenz!

attachicon.gifIMG_2928.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_2926.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_2927.PNG

Sure, I'd love to test. (iPhone 6+).

#225 clanky OFFLINE  

clanky

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 AM

I know it's been a while, but here's a glimpse of where I currently am in Zylon Defenders - my unofficial homage to our favorite early 80's 3D space combat game. Attached File  Zylon_defenders_systems_check.mov   9.71MB   58 downloads

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users