Photo

Primal Rage JAMMA ?

25 replies to this topic

#1 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,300 posts

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:33 PM

I have just won a Primal Rage Jamma on ebay for 19. (I also won a cab to go with it for 62 :) )

just wondered if this game featured a Jag onboard? or is it some other system used by Atari?

Can't wait to get my mits on it and have a butchers at it :) If anyone is interested I'll post info on it here. I can't compare it to the Jag version as I don't have Primal Rage.. YET! :)

#2 t.skid OFFLINE  

t.skid

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:59 PM

IMHO, Jag Primal Rage is great :D

And, congratulations for your jamma PR :)

#3 Stone OFFLINE  

Stone

Stargunner

• 1,739 posts

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:51 PM

I have just won a Primal Rage Jamma on ebay for 19.  (I also won a cab to go with it for 62 :) )

just wondered if this game featured a Jag onboard? or is it some other system used by Atari?

Can't wait to get my mits on it and have a butchers at it :)  If anyone is interested I'll post info on it here.  I can't compare it to the Jag version as I don't have Primal Rage.. YET! :)

Nice workings...

It's not Atari, iirc, nor is their chipset (some random pixel-pushing beast with an HDD, is all I know). I was looking at that auction myself, but I was holding out for the NeoGeo MVS, which I promptly lost. Bah. Don't forget to tell us all what it's like :)

Stone

#4 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,300 posts

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:46 PM

Nice workings...

It's not Atari, iirc, nor is their chipset (some random pixel-pushing beast with an HDD, is all I know). I was looking at that auction myself, but I was holding out for the NeoGeo MVS, which I promptly lost. Bah. Don't forget to tell us all what it's like :)

Stone

Hmm it does say it's Atari and I always thought it was an Atari game? or are you refering to the hardware?

HDD!! EEK! I have horrible phobias on hardware that is dependent on stuff like that.. perhaps may be worth me investigating making a dump of the HDD incase of hardware failure.

#5 Stone OFFLINE  

Stone

Stargunner

• 1,739 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:14 AM

OK, so I was out on two counts ;) Damn my flaky memory! :)

PR is made by Atari (haha, never thought I'd say Atari had anything to do with PR...hmm, nvm) - pubilshed by Time Warner (which was why I was confused). I can't see an HDD in the auctions I'm currently watching...in those cases I was thinking of Killer Instinct. Max Force and Area 51 both have HDDs in them, iirc, hence more confusion.

Sorry!

Stone

#6 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 22,896 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:09 AM

PR2 used a hard drive, that could be confusing you as well. Primal Rage does NOT use a hard drive.

Tempest

#7 Stone OFFLINE  

Stone

Stargunner

• 1,739 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:13 AM

PR2 used a hard drive, that could be confusing you as well.  Primal Rage does NOT use a hard drive.

See! much cause for confusion :)

What size is the HDD in Killer Instinct? It looks really tiny from the pics I've seen...maybe it's just the board that is huge?

Stone

#8 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,300 posts

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:38 AM

PR2 used a hard drive, that could be confusing you as well.  Primal Rage does NOT use a hard drive.

See! much cause for confusion :)

What size is the HDD in Killer Instinct? It looks really tiny from the pics I've seen...maybe it's just the board that is huge?

Stone

possibly laptop HDD.. similar to what they put on blades (and funnily enough laptops :) )

#9 TheBizDude OFFLINE  

TheBizDude

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:22 AM

Tony,
Glad to see you're enjoying your Primal Rage!
BTW, I'm trying to score that Jag Kiosk. I offered him $400 for it - we'll see if he bites. He'd have to deliver to Boston for that price and send LOTS of pics with his feedback rating. Can the person that saw this in Philly vouch for its condition?
L8A!
Gregg

#10 t.skid OFFLINE  

t.skid

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:25 PM

Hi Gregg! Yes, I'm enjoying PR a lot. The game is great; also, I'm playing with Brutal Sports Football and it's very fun! Thank you again for all the games :)

#11 TheBizDude OFFLINE  

TheBizDude

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:50 PM

Yeah BSF is the best 2-player game on the Jag, IMO. The other guy can't score goals his players all have NO heads! . . hehehe

I guess that guy's not interested in parting with his kiosk, he never got back to me. It's so silly the $$$ those things are fetching. The last one on eBay went for over a grand. There was one about 6mos ago that went for $1500, but at least included almost every title and tons of extras.

L8A!
Gregg

#12 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,300 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:31 PM

Just to bring anyone who is interested an update :)

I collected my Jamma Cab and Primal Rage today.

When I arrived at the sellers house he showed me the cab and then demoed Primal Rage on it, unfortunately the board seems to have a fault :( the guy is honorable enough tho, so he gave me the board FOC! . Cabinet is MASSIVE! 28inches wide and 6ft tall! it's a behmoth (my wife wasn't too impressed :) ).

Unfortunately (yup more bad luck on my part) we transported the cab on it's back, this lead to the monitor shifting in it's mount and dropping in possition onto where the game board should sit :( the mount has snapped, so I need to come up with some alternative bracing struts or a new monitor mount.. looks like I am going to be googling for a bit :/

Ah well.. spose it means I can do a few pages on repairing a Jamma cab :) (and hopefully Primal Rage board).

The board comes with manual, which is impressive, would atari age be interest in a scan of this? (it is Atari after all :) ).

it's also a lot biggerin size than I thought. about 1.5 foot square!

anyway been a busy day I'm off to bed :)

#13 t.skid OFFLINE  

t.skid

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:33 PM

Yeah BSF is the best 2-player game on the Jag, IMO.  The other guy can't score goals his players all have NO heads! . . hehehe

:D

I guess that guy's not interested in parting with his kiosk, he never got back to me.  It's so silly the $$$ those things are fetching.  The last one on eBay went for over a grand.  There was one about 6mos ago that went for $1500, but at least included almost every title and tons of extras.

Well, he could at least answer... :(

#14 Thunderbird OFFLINE  

Thunderbird

River Patroller

• 2,501 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:38 PM

Tony,
Glad to see you're enjoying your Primal Rage!
BTW, I'm trying to score that Jag Kiosk.  I offered him $400 for it - we'll see if he bites.  He'd have to deliver to Boston for that price and send LOTS of pics with his feedback rating.  Can the person that saw this in Philly vouch for its condition?
L8A!
Gregg

If you had any idea how much it costs to ship something like that, you'd think that guy probably thought you were joking if you offered $400 and he has to ship it for free...

#15 Thunderbird OFFLINE  

Thunderbird

River Patroller

• 2,501 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:40 PM

Yeah BSF is the best 2-player game on the Jag, IMO.  The other guy can't score goals his players all have NO heads! . . hehehe

I guess that guy's not interested in parting with his kiosk, he never got back to me.  It's so silly the $$$ those things are fetching.  The last one on eBay went for over a grand.  There was one about 6mos ago that went for $1500, but at least included almost every title and tons of extras.

L8A!
Gregg

Yup. An ultra rare "K-A" Aircars, a 1st Run BattleSphere, and a Catbox... plus one of the only JagDaptors in the universe. All that, PLUS a pristine Kiosk. 8)

#16 walter_J64bit OFFLINE  

walter_J64bit

River Patroller

• 4,115 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:44 PM

he he Ive got one!!!!! :D

#17 Thunderbird OFFLINE  

Thunderbird

River Patroller

• 2,501 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:45 PM

he he Ive got one!!!!!  :D

A Kiosk? Congrats!

#18 t.skid OFFLINE  

t.skid

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:49 PM

he he Ive got one!!!!!  :D

Really? Great!!! :thumbsup:

#19 TheBizDude OFFLINE  

TheBizDude

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:53 PM

Yeah, the winner of that lot scored BIG - was it you, T-Bird?

IMO, that kiosk isn't worth a penny over $400 on my doorstep.
It's "refurbished" - I still take it, though . . .hehehe

He may have been offended by the offer, but it was an offer none-the-less and should have been responded to.

What is a JAMMA cab? Is that the double screen NBA Jam size? A buddy of mine was describing the look on his wife's face when he showed up with one. He had to remove the door jam to get it in. A lot of 'jammin' goin on with those things!

L8A!
Gregg

#20 Thunderbird OFFLINE  

Thunderbird

River Patroller

• 2,501 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:16 PM

Yeah, the winner of that lot scored BIG - was it you, T-Bird?

IMO, that kiosk isn't worth a penny over $400 on my doorstep.
It's "refurbished" - I still take it, though . . .hehehe

He may have been offended by the offer, but it was an offer none-the-less and should have been responded to.

What is a JAMMA cab?  Is that the double screen NBA Jam size?  A buddy of mine was describing the look on his wife's face when he showed up with one.  He had to remove the door jam to get it in.  A lot of 'jammin' goin on with those things!

L8A!
Gregg

Yup. It was me. Best Auction I've seen in a long time. I was expecting bidding to go a lot higher.

Don Thomas is a great guy too. He really helped get the thing shipped safely and everything!

#21 TheBizDude OFFLINE  

TheBizDude

Chopper Commander

• 190 posts

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:45 PM

Yeah, If I had seen that lot in time, you and me would've been involved in a bidding war! I think you might just have the ONLY boxed Jagdapter in existance. I tried to get the un-boxed one that Don still had locked away in 'the vault'. bidding was crazy and I think it ended up going for over $200 - by that time I started eyeing the CatBox. How proprietary is the base on the kiosk. Or to ask another way, is it easily reproducable. It looked to me in the photos that it was a sort of metal file cabinet. Have you vented that puppy? I don't think i'd cut it - just place a few strategic fans.

#22 Stone OFFLINE  

Stone

Stargunner

• 1,739 posts

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:33 AM

What is a JAMMA cab?  Is that the double screen NBA Jam size?  A buddy of mine was describing the look on his wife's face when he showed up with one.  He had to remove the door jam to get it in.  A lot of 'jammin' goin on with those things!

JAMMA is an acronym for "Japanese Amusement Machine Manufacturers Association" and is basically a standardised edge-connector on arcade PCBs with certain signals all in the same place across many different boards. Basically the idea is to make things simple for arcade operators - if they get a new game in they can just swap one PCB with the other and have it work fine first try (then they just have to redo all the stickers on the cabinet :D)

It was very widely accepted from around the mid-80s onwards, iirc, so although older boards (ike Defender and Galaga) aren't directly compatible they can usually be converted to fit JAMMA cabinets with an adaptor.

Unfortunately JAMMA only supports 2 players with 3 buttons (and a joystick) per player, so systems that use more pins have to find a way to hook them up seperately. NeoGeo systems (which have 4 buttons) used an unused pin on the JAMMA connector; Capcom games generally used a header on the PCB itself for the extra buttons.

For more detail than I feel like typing atm check [url="http://"http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~stephane/arcade/arcade_primer.htm"]this arcade primer[/url].

Stone

#23 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,300 posts

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:30 AM

I did see a "Soul Edge 2" PCB on ebay that was Jamma.. so I think the standard is still in use..

That info on the buttons will help me as I plan to upgrade mine to 6 buttons. Now I know I am in for more fun than just a bit of metalwork :(

Although the guy I bought it from had a 6 button Jamma cab, and I have seen others on ebay...

Perhaps a later revison.. More google fun... :)

#24 Stone OFFLINE  

Stone

Stargunner

• 1,739 posts

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:37 AM

I did see a "Soul Edge 2" PCB on ebay that was Jamma.. so I think the standard is still in use..

That info on the buttons will help me as I plan to upgrade mine to 6 buttons.  Now I know I am in for more fun than just a bit of  metalwork :(

Although the guy I bought it from had a 6 button Jamma cab, and I have seen others on ebay...

Perhaps a later revison.. More google fun... :)

Upgrading to 6 buttons shouldn't be a problem - just add the extra buttons to the control panel and terminate them in whatever multi-way connector takes your fancy. Then buy your new 6-button PCB and determine what connector is used for the extra 3 buttons and make an adaptor for it from the first connector to whatever type is used on the PCB (usually one of the small Molex types, from what I've seen). Makes it much easier to change over if you ever decide to buy another 6-button board.

I've pretty much decided on getting a NeoGeo MVS now; just waiting for another eBay run on them (like buses, you wait for ages and 4 come along at once). I can wait tho :)

Stone

#25 t.skid OFFLINE  

t.skid

Stargunner

• 1,708 posts

Posted Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:31 PM

I've pretty much decided on getting a NeoGeo MVS now; just waiting for another eBay run on them (like buses, you wait for ages and 4 come along at once). I can wait tho :)

Stone

:D It's always like this... and, often, when the item is on auction, in these days you haven't the money to buy it.... :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users