IGNORED

Which was the first Atari game to have a title screen?

helderuto

Always considered a title screen just that. A screen that displays the games' title or name. In a game such as Artillery Duel, I'd say it's a title screen of sorts, just happens to include the playfield as well. The title of the game does disappear when started, so there you have it. :)

That version of Asteroids with the date to me, is a copyright or "splash" screen since it does not include the name of the game. Just seems like common sense. And doesn't seem right comparing or projecting movie industry "standards" to these old video games either.

• Like 1

The problem with choosing Asteroids is that it doesn't actually have the game title on the 'title screen'. I would call it a start screen, or copyright screen instead. For that reason alone I would chose Star Raiders over Asteroids.

The original release of Asteroids didn't have the copyright splash screen.

Actually, it does.

In movies, they call the text that plays at the beginning of the movie the "opening titles". Naturally the movie's actual title is included with the rest of the text, but even so, the rest of the text still gets to be called part of the "titles".

So, when we ask what was the first 2600 game to have a title screen, are we asking what the first game was to have a screen similar to what we see in a movie's opening titles? If so, the answer most likely is Asteroids. Are we instead asking what the first game was to actually display the game's name on-screen? I believe that would be Star Raiders.

No actually it doesn't

Those things you called "titles" are called the opening CREDITS.

They CREDIT the people and companies that worked on the movie. The movie has only ONE title (unless the title varies by region or has a subtitle such as Rambo: First Blood Part II.)

calling a copyright logo a title screen is.... bizarre, but hey whatever floats your boat.

lets see....

this?

ASTEROIDS

or this?

©1981

Nope.... only ONE of those things looks like it could be the TITLE of a game where you are a spaceship shooting rocks that are travelling through space.

Edited by Torr
  • Like 1

Those things you called "titles" are called the opening CREDITS.

They are also called "opening titles" and sometimes "main titles" or just "titles". Look at any number of soundtrack CDs and see what the name of the song is that plays over the opening credits. Chariots of Fire: "Titles". Jurassic Park: "Opening Titles". Beetlejuice: "Main Titles". I'm not making this stuff up.

Look, I'm really not that committed to this so I'm coming off as more pedantic than I'd like. Having said that, is it seriously that hard to accept some people have different ideas of what defines a title screen? Get this: I understand why you don't call the screen in Asteroids a title screen. But even if I didn't understand, I would still accept you don't see the way I and other people do, and I would still think that's fine. Is it too much to ask for a little respect in return or is "whatever floats your boat" the best you have to offer people you don't agree with?

They are also called "opening titles" and sometimes "main titles" or just "titles". Look at any number of soundtrack CDs and see what the name of the song is that plays over the opening credits. Chariots of Fire: "Titles". Jurassic Park: "Opening Titles". Beetlejuice: "Main Titles". I'm not making this stuff up.

Look, I'm really not that committed to this so I'm coming off as more pedantic than I'd like. Having said that, is it seriously that hard to accept some people have different ideas of what defines a title screen? Get this: I understand why you don't call the screen in Asteroids a title screen. But even if I didn't understand, I would still accept you don't see the way I and other people do, and I would still think that's fine. Is it too much to ask for a little respect in return or is "whatever floats your boat" the best you have to offer people you don't agree with?

Famous quote:

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

Gackle: "Put those shoes on your hands."

Hugo: "But they go on my feet."

Gackle: "I call them hands because they have 5 digits and can grasp things. Feet are the hands of your legs, so I call them hands."

Hugo: "What do you call the things at the end of your arms?"

Gackle: "I call them hands too."

Hugo: "Seems like it would be quicker and easier to use "hands" and "feet" the way most every other normal person on the planet does."

Gackle: "Look, I respect the fact that you call the things on the end of your legs "feet" instead of "hands," so why can't you give me the same respect and just agree to disagree?"

Hugo: "It's easy for you to understand and respect my position because every other sane English-speaking person on the planet calls the things at the end of your legs "feet" and the things at the end of your arms "hands."

Gackle: "Whatever, dude. You don't have to be an A-hole about it. Just chill out, smoke some weed and let whatever be whatever. Language is always changing, so I can call anything whatever I want and word tyrants like you can suck a putrid pickle."

Hugo: "Steve Martin would love you. Let me rephrase that; Steve Martin beefcake sturgeon wombat."

youtube.com/watch?v=40K6rApRnhQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40K6rApRnhQ

:D

Title screen

The initial screen of a computer, video, or arcade game after the credits and logos of the game developer and the publisher are displayed. Earlier title screens often included all the game options available (single player, multiplayer, configuration of controls, etc.) while modern games have opted for the title screen to serve as a splash screen. This can be attributed to the use of the title screen as a loading screen, in which to cache all the graphical elements of the main menu. Older computer and video games had relatively simple menu screens, that often featured pre-rendered artwork.

In arcade games, the title screen is shown as part of the attract mode loop, usually after a game demonstration is played. The title screen, as well as the high score list, urges potential players to insert coins. In console games, especially if the screen is not merged with the main menu, it urges the player to press start. Similarly, in computer games, the message "Hit any key" is often displayed. Controls that lack an actual "Start" button use a different prompt; in the Nintendo Wii, for example, usually prompts to press the "A" button and the "B" trigger simultaneously, as in Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Mario Party 9. Fan-made games often parody the style of basis of the creation.

It is nowhere written that the title screen must display the game name title, only that e.g. the Asteroids copyright screen is not a title screen. Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

It is nowhere written that the title screen must display the game name title, only that e.g. the Asteroids copyright screen is not a title screen.

With the millions of people on the Internet, I bet it's written somewhere by somebody. :D

Atari had this to say back in 1987:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-standards-and-procedures.html#copyright_screen

The Copyright Screen should contain the first screen from the game or game title (some 2600 games have a title screen and some don't) and the copyright.

You know, Thomas and Random, those most recent replies would have made this conversation a lot easier to have if you'd said them earlier instead of things like "Who cares?" and "Just give up!" I was not having a good day yesterday and being dismissed like that was not helping.

You know, Thomas and Random, those most recent replies would have made this conversation a lot easier to have if you'd said them earlier instead of things like "Who cares?" and "Just give up!" I was not having a good day yesterday and being dismissed like that was not helping.

"Who cares" was not targeted at you.

I just felt that the general discussion seemed to go heated over a pretty irrelevant detail inside our pretty irrelevant (not for us of course) hobby.

I just felt that the general discussion seemed to go heated over a pretty irrelevant detail inside our pretty irrelevant (not for us of course) hobby.

We weren't having a heated discussion. We were having a normal discussion. That's how people get closer to the truth. If everyone lets a subject drop at the tiniest hint of discord, nobody learns nuffin'.

• Like 1

Thomas, I'm sorry I misunderstood your comment. Like I said, it was not a good day yesterday.

We weren't having a heated discussion. We were having a normal discussion. That's how people get closer to the truth. If everyone lets a subject drop at the tiniest hint of discord, nobody learns nuffin'.

That's exactly right!

But being told, "Just give up!" is not conducive to a "normal discussion." I at least take solace in the fact I made myself clear enough that you stopped accusing me of changing my story.

Yes, I would say that Tomarc qualifies as a title screen, and Artillery Duel does not.

Artillery Duel has a title displayed, but not a stand alone separate title screen.

Star Raiders would appear to be the least controversial & most generally accepted answer to the original question. For me, it's Asteroids. For others, it may be something else.

Oh and Ghostbusters 2 & Acid Drop are PAL exclusives. So please ready the next asterisk.

Star Raiders isn't it, though, since the first wave of Starpath games came out before it and had dedicated title screens. Commie Mutants, Fireball, Phaser Patrol and Suicide Mission all came out that summer - Star Raiders was September 82. And of those, Phaser Patrol is the only one that didn't have a dedicated title screen.

Star Raiders isn't it, though, since the first wave of Starpath games came out before it and had dedicated title screens. Commie Mutants, Fireball, Phaser Patrol and Suicide Mission all came out that summer - Star Raiders was September 82. And of those, Phaser Patrol is the only one that didn't have a dedicated title screen.

Oh yeah, he asked "which was the first Atari game" not "which was the first Atari cartridge."

I need to find out for sure if August is the correct month for the first batch of Supercharger games. Here is what I have so far:

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-history-1982.html#history_ae_oct_10_82_supercharger

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-history-1982.html#history_ae_aug_15_82_supercharger

randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-history-1982.html#history_vg_oct_82_arcadia

When in 1982 was Adventures of TRON released?

It's listed in the preview section of Electronic Games (May 1983), so I guess that means it wasn't released until 1983:

archive.org/stream/Electronic_Games_Volume_01_Number_15_1983-05_Reese_Communications_US#page/n31/mode/1up/

I was waiting for someone to come in and complain about how the title screen was the beginning of the end because it separated you from the game by those few precious seconds.

"All these new fangldy games with their title screens can stuff it. I want instant boot up and instant action. I can't be bothered to press fire or read a menu before I shoot space ships!"

• Like 5

I emailed Keith Robinson about the M network games, and while he didn't have specific months he did tell me the order their games came out in and what year - Adventures of Tron is an 83 release (the first one, if I recall).

I haven't been able to track down a specific month for the Supercharger games, but based on the ads in magazines I chalked it down to July/August myself.

• Like 1