Photo

APF Imagination Machine acquired

6 replies to this topic

#1 swlovinist OFFLINE  

swlovinist

River Patroller

• 2,250 posts

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:30 PM

Upon silly luck, I was able to get an imagination machine.  It powers on, and was able to get something on the screen.  I have several questions about the system.  I know that that it is rare, but does anyone know how many are in collector hands these days. 

How am I able to access the keyboard function to get something to type on the screen?  I am pretty ecstatic to have such as rare item in my collection.  Anyone with info that can help me would be most appreciated.  

Attached Thumbnails

• imagination machine.jpg
  • APF.jpg

#2 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,309 posts

Posted Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 PM

Hmm... If putting in the BASIC cart and typing all the keys doesn't get you into something interactive, then the keyboard might be dead.  I don't know anything about the APF, but lots of those old keyboards had membrane internals, and old thin ribbon cables that deteriorate and go bad over time.

#3 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,278 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 1:16 PM

I was flipping through a 1981 issue of Australian Personal Computer and saw an advert for one of these, which must have been at the end of its commercial life. It actually looks pretty sophisticated for 1978, although I understand that access to its high-res graphic modes was difficult. It's an interesting failure that you never really hear or read about today.

#4 rpiguy9907 OFFLINE  

rpiguy9907

Moonsweeper

• 255 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2019 2:35 PM

They are currently in a that odd, in-between state. Rare enough to be somewhat collectable, but not enough enthusiasts to make it really valuable. They usually sit on eBay between $100-300. Given how little software was every written for it, I think that is pretty fair.

Since there is no larger retro-community around them you have to depend on manuals and old documents to figure out its workings.

Luckily quite a few great resources were uploaded to Archive.org

https://archive.org/...ination_machine

Happy reading!

#5 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,818 posts

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:10 AM

See also this thread about the APF M1000 / MP1000 where the Imagination Machine comes into the discussion a couple of times. In particular on page 3 where I discuss how those apparently were packaged and sold as bookkeeping systems to farmers in Sweden.

http://atariage.com/...ciation-thread/

#6 JamesD OFFLINE  

JamesD

Quadrunner

• 8,461 posts

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:03 PM

It's rare, but not highly sought after due to the limited and somewhat poor game library.

Seems to me the hardware even supports the 6847 hi-res mode, but it's designed to only use it for sprites... or could that be considered tiles.
It's a little odd.

Too bad it didn't fully support the mode or it could have been a much better computer.

#7 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 6,278 posts

Posted Fri Feb 8, 2019 12:19 AM

It's rare, but not highly sought after due to the limited and somewhat poor game library.
Seems to me the hardware even supports the 6847 hi-res mode, but it's designed to only use it for sprites... or could that be considered tiles.
It's a little odd.
Too bad it didn't fully support the mode or it could have been a much better computer.

The sad thing is that, even with these limitations, it does not seem like a bad system at all. It’s got to have the worst game library I have ever seen for a game console, though. Brickdown looks okay, but the rest...yeesh.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users