IGNORED

Jedi Gauntlet

Opry99er

The main reason I am writing this in BASIC is so I can put it on cartridge... Hopefully paired with the TE2 GROM so that I can use the wicked speech capabilities available in that sucker...

No kidding! If you do find a way to do that, I would love to leech off your accomplishment. I spent a very long time developing the speech codes for one of my games only to find I could not use them in XB, only in TE2!

No kidding! If you do find a way to do that, I would love to leech off your accomplishment. I spent a very long time developing the speech codes for one of my games only to find I could not use them in XB, only in TE2!

I believe you can do it in XB. You need to load the Text-to-Speech package that was released into the public domain BITD. Of course, it looks like the package takes up about 24KiB of space. That doesn't leave much room for the user program!

I don't suppose anyone has the source code for SETUP, XLAT and SPEAK. I've been looking for it for awhile to no avail.

...lee

If you want an example of a BASIC program using the TE2 cartridge, just get "TI-Trek" from the Game Shelf.

As for direct conversion, so far my experience has been it's best to write it as an assembly routine called from XB. Speech data, even compressed, takes up a lot of space. (200-1500 bytes for a few seconds)

I believe you can do it in XB. You need to load the Text-to-Speech package that was released into the public domain BITD. Of course, it looks like the package takes up about 24KiB of space. That doesn't leave much room for the user program!

I don't suppose anyone has the source code for SETUP, XLAT and SPEAK. I've been looking for it for awhile to no avail.

...lee

I don't have the source but I've been working on reverse engineering it on and off, I'm about 60% done. The ultimate goal for my work was to make it run from bank-switched ROM so it could be included on cartridges, but until I'm finished that's not a promise. ;)

Got quite a bit of conversion work done on this game.

I am now in the Force lock-on code segment and it is a doozie... It needs total restructure and simplification. I took the simple premise of locking onto and moving an object and created 4 extremely dense chunks of code that comingle with other movement routines, swap and copy temporary variables, and all this with little to no comments. :)

I will HOPEFULLY get to start coding again and peogressing forward with the game soon... Once I have unscrewed the pooch. :)

I had forgotten how much I liked this game premise though... Looking forward to finishing it!

Finally figured out what by A=B and B=A lines were doing in the Force lock section. Should go pretty smoothly from here on in.

Level-specific condition handling is next. May need to restructure some character sets to allow for sweeping range checks for tiles, but even if I have to do one-offs of all legal tiles, it's not like there is a huge speed requirement or anything. Low and slow, as they say.

100% converted now!

I hit a snag where I was translating to TIdBiT from two different BASIC listings... one was the correct one, and one was an older listing.

Took forever to debug because I had changed the loop parameters in my READ statements to incorporate more DATA statements, and didn't get that part quite right in the conversion.

It's pretty hard to CALL COLOR(9,26,114)!!!

I've got the basics on Level 2 completed. I should have two full levels with all condition-handling done this week sometime. After that, it's just level design. All framework is in place now, and I have structure back in my life. :)

• Like 2

More progress... Force counter is debugged and tweaked. Scoring engine is in place. Level 2 is now beatable.

Level 3 is ALMOST there, but not quite just yet. I have to reposition some tiles due to some design challenges. Level 3 was designed by Buck, and it is beautiful... But it is difficult to get the puzzle element I want oit of level 3 with this design...

Anyway, once level 3 is complete, I will probably put out a demo for you guys to try out. Will likely be the final demo prior to the cassette release.

• Like 3

3 level demo is complete and in play-testing now!!

Expect a release tomorrow, and be sure to clear a few minutes of your day to become a true Jedi!!

Damn, I thought I already was a true Jedi. There just always seems to be something more to learn.

Looking forward to it!

-M@

• Like 2

Since all mechanics are in place (other than minute condition-handling code per level) I have but to design the remaining levels and tune some minor things and the game will be done. Thanks to adamantyr's help, we have been able to crunch the code some and free up some bytes for level data. It looks like 7 levels will be the max, but I should be able to play the story out with that number.

The 'manual' will be a short-story rather than a typical manual... There will be clues in the story that will help the player with some of the puzzles in the game.

Levels 4 and 5 are already done as far as design goes, it is just data entry at this point. 6 and 7 are going to have to be changed a bit from my original intent, as I had hoped to get 9 levels for the story, but no worries... We will shoe horn it in there. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still needing to code in the data for the two new levels... I started work on the Hoth level, but work has eaten my soul for the last week.

Should have the game pretty close to done if I can get 4-5 uninterrupted hours of TI time. Then it's off to the presses. :D