IGNORED

Best Rare and Expensive 2600 Games

Rick Dangerous

Hello 2600 Experts,

I was on the video game critic page the other day and was looking up seasonal games (for Halloween) and came upon a good review for Halloween for the 2600 based off the slasher flick.

http://videogamecritic.com/2600hl.htm?e=61310#rev224

I was shocked to find it was a few hundred on fleabay. Being someone who likes to play games on carts in the original hardware, I asked a friend on here to make a repro for me. He agreed and I can't wait to add it to my seasonal 2600 mix (along with Haunted House.)

What I am thinking is, I may as well have a few other repros done now while its in my budget and get them done and shipped all at once.

So my question to you is: What are the Atari 2600 games that are awesome and fun to play, but are prohibitively expensive to get an original copy for practical purposes (over $50-100)? I am looking for games to PLAY that are well worth having a repro made up.

Thanks!!

You're not into the Harmony cartridge?

I no longer have too many expensive games in my collection, but Bumper Bash comes to mind. Crazy Climber is alright for a while too, but the buildings seem to take "forever" anymore.

Somewhat less expensive, Up 'n Down, Spy Hunter and Montezuma's Revenge are all great fun. Even like Xenophobe too.

I'm sure others will talk about Q*Bert's Qubes and Mr. Do!'s Castle, but I could never get into them. Don't even care for Frogger II. :lol:

• Like 1

What about "The Offical Frogger." Its the best 2600 version of Frogger and is on Cassette only and very hard to track down. How does that work (playing cassette games on a 2600?)

starpath supercharger loads the game into it's ram, and the port is FANTASTIC, though it doesn't seem to be terribly expensive when it does show up on ebay

Anyway I'll say Mr.Do!'s castle, The music is nice and it plays reasonably well compared to the arcade game

I will say that I like the 2600 in part because most of the expensive games are terrible, unlike many other systems,

Rescue Terra I is the best game that comes to mind that's actually rare.

Xenophobe, Montezuma's Revenge, Ikari Warriors, Subterranea, and Spy Hunter are all good, but probably fall under the rarer end of "uncommon." Unless you're going for CIB you probably won't pay more than $40 for any of those.

• Like 1

What about "The Offical Frogger." Its the best 2600 version of Frogger and is on Cassette only and very hard to track down. How does that work (playing cassette games on a 2600?)

This game is the reason I purchased my Harmony cart. I have a Supercharger and like playing the cassette games as they were intended, but this game is rare and costly. :(

With my luck I would play the game once and have the tape snap. :( :(

So essentially what you're asking for are games that cost more than having a repro made and are fun to play. I'll add another vote for Bumper Bash and Cakewalk. Boing is also fun. As for the Official Frogger, it's worth looking into tracking down a Supercharger and a copy of the Stella Gets a New Brain CD, which has all of the Supercharger games, most of which are very good.

Only one way to truly play cassette games on the 2600. Get yourself an old school cassette player and plug in the old Supercharger.

post-21941-0-22946600-1446519578_thumb.jpg

• Like 1