Floppy Cables (straight through)

27 replies to this topic

#1 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:52 PM

Hi All,

Anyone know a source to order floppy cables for the TI?  

Looking for a straight through with two standard 3.5 style connectors for two internal drives (Lotharek) - some length, and then a connector for the PEB drive controller (standard 3.5 style).

I've made the cables myself in the past but no longer have the crimping tool - and my cables seem to suck about 50% of the time... :(  Looking for a company or person who makes great cables.

Any pointers?

Cheers, Arthur...

#2 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,300 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:09 PM

Hi All,

Looking for a straight through with two standard 3.5 style connectors for two internal drives (Lotharek) - some length, and then a connector for the PEB drive controller (standard 3.5 style).

I've made the cables myself in the past but no longer have the crimping tool - and my cables seem to suck about 50% of the time... :(  Looking for a company or person who makes great cables.

Any pointers?

Cheers, Arthur...

I have never found a online store that actually sells the ones for 3.5 drives that are straight through.  But every now and then you can find a cable on ebay that is straight without the twist.  Which is what you want.

I usually just make mine since I have a edge connector cable crimper.

I did find this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...aOiqwRgmhu7s0jg

Edited by Cschneider, Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:55 PM.

#3 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,672 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:53 PM

I think IEC still makes one for the TI as well. . .

#4 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,330 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:07 PM

yes, I bought some month ago from IEC.

in addition, Lotharek has 34-pin-floppy-cable-extensions.

It is nice to extend the original cables, so it is not so fiddly to mount the drives.

#5 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,655 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:14 PM

It is hinkey, but I've always had good success just taking the twisted PC cable, and untwisting, then squeezing it all back together with my hands...  I'm all for the right tool for the right job though... 

This search works well on amazon: 34 pin ribbon cable

lots of options that will work quite well.

-M@

#6 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:49 PM

Good find - bought it.  Yeah - I had made a few myself but without the skills and practice I keep hoping to find a pre-made production quality job.  Debugging floppy interfaces when one wire is on the blink is a nasty nasty thing...

I have never found a online store that actually sells the ones for 3.5 drives that are straight through.  But every now and then you can find a cable on ebay that is straight without the twist.  Which is what you want.

I usually just make mine since I have a edge connector cable crimper.

I did find this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/...aOiqwRgmhu7s0jg

#7 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:52 PM

web site for IEC?

yes, I bought some month ago from IEC.

in addition, Lotharek has 34-pin-floppy-cable-extensions.

It is nice to extend the original cables, so it is not so fiddly to mount the drives.

#8 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,672 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:10 PM

Here's the IEC website--and the link goes right to their list of TI cables.

#9 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,300 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:14 PM

Good find - bought it.  Yeah - I had made a few myself but without the skills and practice I keep hoping to find a pre-made production quality job.  Debugging floppy interfaces when one wire is on the blink is a nasty nasty thing...

If you get into a stickler and can't find more if you need them just let me know and we can work out something to get some built for you and I can send them off.

#10 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 12,257 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:15 PM

The problem with the IEC / Hello Cables / Cable Depot cables are that they have the connectors only for the 5.25" legacy style floppy drives, not the required type for the later 3.5's or Lotharek HxC .

#11 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,300 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:43 PM

The link below shows a converter adapter to convert 5.25 to 3.5 connectors.

These used to come with every 3.5 drive mounting kit years ago and at a time I think I had at least a dozen.  But I have all since given them away.

http://www.primroseb...FDD_IDCtoCE.jpg

If you can find these for a decent price these would work with standard 5.25 edge card drive cables I believe.

#12 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,672 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:53 PM

Here's a cable with the twist--but it also supports four devices. The first two are to allow either a 5.25 or a 3.5 drive--and there is no twist there, as they are both for the "B" drive and the twist is further down the cable for the last pair of connectors. . .really good if you want one 3.5 and one 5.25. . .

#13 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,672 posts

Posted Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:05 PM

Here's one of the adapters Chris mentioned. . .but they are $20 each.

#14 CantStopClicking OFFLINE  

CantStopClicking

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:30 AM

Hi All,

Any pointers?

Cheers, Arthur...

I know I've been pretty silent lately but, I really am trying to get re-involved....

I can make you any type of 3.5" (or 5.25 for that matter) cable you need.  Have the connectors and cable so I can make it to any length or combination of "twists" for the TI (or without).

I should have my TI listings back on eBay here in the next week or so, with some of the items I use to offer regularly, available again.

PM me if you're in the need.

Cheers!

-Dano

#15 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Quadrunner

• 5,310 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:43 AM

Here's one of the adapters Chris mentioned. . .but they are $20 each.

I bet I have a half-dozen of those in storage.  I have no idea in what box, but I am pretty certain I have some.

#16 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 239 posts

Posted Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:51 AM

I'll be using two Lotharek floppy emulators - they do the drive select from jumpers on the board.  I found that using twist cables inverted the selections on the Lothareks and make it really hard to configure the drives properly.  So the plan is to connect them both to the IDC connector, and then add a 3rd TI drive which has the edge card connector.  I believe I need to open the drive and change a jumper to make it DSK3.

I still need to pull the thing out of storage - but it's a unit like this...

ti disk drive

#17 Arnuphis OFFLINE  

Arnuphis

Moonsweeper

• 306 posts
  • Loading...Please Wait

Posted Wed May 25, 2016 12:00 PM

Add me to the list of people looking for a dual 3.5" non-twist floppy cable.

#18 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,300 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed May 25, 2016 12:06 PM

Add me to the list of people looking for a dual 3.5" non-twist floppy cable.

i can make the dual 3.5 non twist cables for the price of components and shipping.  If anyone wants to order one then contact me via PM..

#19 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,402 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Thu May 26, 2016 5:52 AM

I just bought one like this at Fry's..
http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
($6.45)

I then crimped a second 3.5" connector right before the 3.5 twist:
http://www.frys.com/...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
($0.79)

You can also crimp a 5.25" edge connector before the 5.25 twist:
http://www.king-cart...t_name=HWS10017
($1.16)

Of course it helps if you have one of these IDC crimping tools laying around (they work really great...)
http://www.amazon.co...ad017029c51479d
($19.95)

I think I got my IDC crimp tool a couple decades ago at Radio Shack :)

#20 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:51 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I picked up two today from CablesOnline (who is also an Amazon.com re-seller). $12.36 + free shipping current price.

I haven't tried them yet but they seem to have a nice mix of 5-1/4 + 3-1/2 connectors comfortably spaced on a 36" cable. Model is FF-002.

https://www.amazon.c...c55d3bb1fab1235

Attached Files

#21 acadiel OFFLINE  

acadiel

Stargunner

• 1,402 posts
  • www.hexbus.com

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:51 PM

Resurrecting up an old topic.

Looking at this Q&A thread

"The pins are in fact "Drive Select A", "Drive Select B", "Motor Enable A", and "Motor Enable B". The twist swaps Drive Select A<->B (pins 14 and 12, respectively) and Motor Enable A<->B (pins 10 and 16, respectively). All are outputs on the floppy controller and inputs on the drives. The rest of the pins (read and write data, stepper motor control, head select, etc.) are bussed in the normal fashion, which is why the drive select pins are so critical. A drive has to ignore all input and produce no output when it's not selected"

Does anyone know why this doesn't work on our system?  I  mean the technical reason why.  Was helping Falcor with hooking up a HxC and realized I've always just made a straight cable and haven't questioned why the twist part doesn't work.

Edit:  Blame IBM changing the Shugart standard.  https://www.seasip.i...C/floppies.html

They added multi-motor control which wasn't in the original Shugart standard.

"When IBM built their first PC, they didn't think the power supply was up to having all the drive motors running at once, so they designed a system with separate motor control for each drive. A twist in the cable between drives B and A means that each drive sees a different motor control signal. As a consequence of this, you can only have two drives on a cable, rather than four."

#22 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,395 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:55 PM

I carry drive cables.. and mounting kits.. both for 3.5 and 5.25 drives 

arcadeshopper.com

#23 marc.hull OFFLINE  

marc.hull

Stargunner

• 1,273 posts

Posted Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:32 PM

Resurrecting up an old topic.

Looking at this Q&A thread

"The pins are in fact "Drive Select A", "Drive Select B", "Motor Enable A", and "Motor Enable B". The twist swaps Drive Select A<->B (pins 14 and 12, respectively) and Motor Enable A<->B (pins 10 and 16, respectively). All are outputs on the floppy controller and inputs on the drives. The rest of the pins (read and write data, stepper motor control, head select, etc.) are bussed in the normal fashion, which is why the drive select pins are so critical. A drive has to ignore all input and produce no output when it's not selected"

Does anyone know why this doesn't work on our system?  I  mean the technical reason why.  Was helping Falcor with hooking up a HxC and realized I've always just made a straight cable and haven't questioned why the twist part doesn't work.

Edit:  Blame IBM changing the Shugart standard.  https://www.seasip.i...C/floppies.html

They added multi-motor control which wasn't in the original Shugart standard.

"When IBM built their first PC, they didn't think the power supply was up to having all the drive motors running at once, so they designed a system with separate motor control for each drive. A twist in the cable between drives B and A means that each drive sees a different motor control signal. As a consequence of this, you can only have two drives on a cable, rather than four."

It's an ease of use issue. Try jumpering your drives the same. Maybe the twist works ?

#24 barry.peterson OFFLINE  

barry.peterson

Space Invader

• 45 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:30 AM

I carry drive cables

Is there much demand? I <think> I still have a box of cables and connectors. I'll check

#25 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,395 posts

Posted Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 PM

Is there much demand? I <think> I still have a box of cables and connectors. I'll check

Some but if you are putting 2 3.5s or gotek in a pbox the kit i have makes that super easy

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users