IGNORED

Skyscraper - W.I.P. game

matosimi

Hi all,

it is already several weeks ago... like 110 or so.. when I started working on Skyscraper project.

After this year's Abbuc Sw compo I saw TRBB's game Gravity, which is basically same as Skyscraper... there are some minor differences in gameplay, but idea is same. Of course this does not apply to design aspect... where Skyscraper massively beats Gravity...but thats not the point.

I coded playable version of Skyscraper (it was called Tower back then) in 2013 in couple of hours... but then I decided to make game eye-candy so I started working on 5-level vertical parallax scroller with dynamic DLIs, turned game from charmode to bitmap mode... later in 2014 recoded whole game back to charmode without parallax and left game on shelf...

It was so painful to apply proposed designs to this game, because it uses dynamic prior0 PMG overlays (which btw result in more than 25 colours on screen)..it required so many hours of DLI debugging and testing...

And now I am in doubt if I should continue working on this project, since there is already very similar game out.

What do you think?

Edited by matosimi
  • Like 11

Hi all,

it is already several weeks ago... like 110 or so.. when I started working on Skyscraper project.

After this year's Abbuc Sw compo I saw TRBB's game Gravity, which is basically same as Skyscraper... there are some minor differences in gameplay, but idea is same. Of course this does not apply to design aspect... where Skyscraper massively beats Gravity...but thats not the point.

I coded playable version of Skyscraper (it was called Tower back then) in 2013 in couple of hours... but then I decided to make game eye-candy so I started working on 5-level vertical parallax scroller with dynamic DLIs, turned game from charmode to bitmap mode... later in 2014 recoded whole game back to charmode without parallax and left game on shelf...

It was so painful to apply proposed designs to this game, because it uses dynamic prior0 PMG overlays (which btw result in more than 25 colours on screen)..it required so many hours of DLI debugging and testing...

And now I am in doubt if I should continue working on this project, since there is already very similar game out.

What do you think?

I think that the only possible thing is CONTINUE and FINISH IT!

And people didn't even saw the gfxs ;), what is it and how's the idea and what really they have to do...

:thumbsup:

P.s.- And it will be a turn to your recent all around puzzle games :).

Edited by José Pereira

What do you think?

If you have fun finishing it, just finish it.

The game really would differ from the "similar one" , for sure. You know, on the PC endless "3d" shooters exist, but that doesn't stop people doing "new 3D games" :)

As emkay says: If you like it, finish it. Then release it, or keep it in storage and enter it to next year´s competition, if you like. Lots of time to add music (like mentioned above), highscore modes (to make it a hsc game), multiplayer mode or whatever. :)

• Like 1

I thought that the idea iself was too limited for more than a couple of goes so for Gravity I broke it up into levels and added several bonus screens to keep it interesting, perhaps you can borrow these ideas or come up with some better ones. Two player head to head and some sort of combat mode would be a neat idea :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...