IGNORED

Lynx Lounge

btbfilms76

Waka Waka Waka

Um, not to harp on your review, but you seemed to focus more on the Dpad than you did on the game itself. Did you try a Lynx 1? There are two styles of Dpad on the Lynx 1, a circular pad and a cross pad. The cross pad feels slightly stiff to the touch but both are very responsive, nowhere near the amount of play the Lynx II Dpad has. Just throwing this out there, gameplay is pretty tight on a Lynx 1. I almost got a Lynx II but the square buttons and loose/oversized Dpad just don't seem right.

I found the Ms Pacman game on the Lynx to be surprisingly unique and fresh compared to the Tengen NES version which also got ported to SNES and Genesis. Also yes, the Game Boy versions of Pacman and Ms Pacman are lacking due to the tiny screen. And I finally made it to the second intermission "the chase" on the Game Boy version of Ms Pacman and to my horror the music was identical to the first intermission. That's incorrect IMO. But enough about the Game Boy version. One big thing you forgot to mention that differentiates this from the otehr ports is the thunderbolt. I have not found this item in any other port of Ms Pacman to date, and it is refreshing and can change the dynamics of the game considerably when collected.

• Like 1

Um, not to harp on your review, but you seemed to focus more on the Dpad than you did on the game itself. Did you try a Lynx 1? There are two styles of Dpad on the Lynx 1, a circular pad and a cross pad. The cross pad feels slightly stiff to the touch but both are very responsive, nowhere near the amount of play the Lynx II Dpad has. Just throwing this out there, gameplay is pretty tight on a Lynx 1. I almost got a Lynx II but the square buttons and loose/oversized Dpad just don't seem right.

I found the Ms Pacman game on the Lynx to be surprisingly unique and fresh compared to the Tengen NES version which also got ported to SNES and Genesis. Also yes, the Game Boy versions of Pacman and Ms Pacman are lacking due to the tiny screen. And I finally made it to the second intermission "the chase" on the Game Boy version of Ms Pacman and to my horror the music was identical to the first intermission. That's incorrect IMO. But enough about the Game Boy version. One big thing you forgot to mention that differentiates this from the otehr ports is the thunderbolt. I have not found this item in any other port of Ms Pacman to date, and it is refreshing and can change the dynamics of the game considerably when collected.

Harp away! I have both and this game is lacking in certain places as I stated. For me Im comparing it to the 7800 version which is one of the best... of course thats just my opinion. You are correct regarding the thunderbolt version - I forgot to mention that.

• Like 1

Harp away! I have both and this game is lacking in certain places as I stated. For me Im comparing it to the 7800 version which is one of the best... of course thats just my opinion. You are correct regarding the thunderbolt version - I forgot to mention that.

Hey thanks for letting me know about the Dpad though. A lot of people love the Lynx II due to the form factor but the controls always looked odd. Just I've played alot of Pacman ports and was surprised you didn't mention the unique item. I give the Tengen NES version a slight edge over the 7800 version due to the options afforded, but Pacman Collection I think is the must-have title for 7800 owners if you're a pac fan. :)

• 4 months later...

Back the boys in blue on Atari's APB

Great review, BTB. I gotta give A.P.B. another try. Got frustrated with the controls on it and have rarely played it since I bought a CIB copy a month or two ago. But now I feel inspired enough to really hunker down and to give it a second chance.

And I'm glad to see you back with a Lynx Lounge after a long while. Keep 'em coming...I enjoy them all.

MillipedeMan

• Like 2

Great review, BTB. I gotta give A.P.B. another try. Got frustrated with the controls on it and have rarely played it since I bought a CIB copy a month or two ago. But now I feel inspired enough to really hunker down and to give it a second chance.

And I'm glad to see you back with a Lynx Lounge after a long while. Keep 'em coming...I enjoy them all.

MillipedeMan

Thanks so much. If you just sit with it for a bit you can figure it out. The game footage for this video I recorded turned out to be one of my best games played. There are other parts of the game I cant get too, like an interagation scene and when you get to shoot your gun out of the car. Keep trying, I know I am.
  • Like 1

I love your channel, BTB. I've been enjoying your videos for a couple years now. It's great to see somebody dedicated to the Lynx and Jag, and your sense of humor really works well with the presentation.

Thanks a lot, love playing games with all my friends and I'm glad to be doing the show. Ill do my very best to keep making quality Atari shows.

I had APB when it first came out for the Lynx, absoulely loved it at the time, I still do love it but I think there is still an element of rose tinted specs there!. I can't remeber how many paper rounds it cost me though! Eeek!

Never played it in the arcade though, our arcades on the Isle of Man were only small so there were a few that never made it over here. Now we don't have any proper arcades which is a dam shame but then all the kids these day have got PS4's!

Thanks so much. If you just sit with it for a bit you can figure it out. The game footage for this video I recorded turned out to be one of my best games played. There are other parts of the game I cant get too, like an interagation scene and when you get to shoot your gun out of the car. Keep trying, I know I am.

I've got a long way to go before getting where you got in your video. Just yesterday I figured out that I need to use the Pull Over option to pick up the cones (I've never been able to follow the poster-style instructions very well). I was picking up cones left and right before I realized this critical fact, and I just couldn't figure out why the game said I still need to get the two cones to complete the level, and why I was getting so many demerits. Now, hopefully, I'll be able to move past the first level. Thanks, and have an Atari Day.

MillipedeMan

(a.k.a. Mark in Atlanta)

• 1 month later...

That's right - we had the arcade version and it was amazing

Another great Lynx Lounge episode, BTB...thanks for the laid-back look you always put into your game reviews for what I consider a still underrated system.

I love Ninja Gaiden. I'm not very good at it, mainly because I haven't been able to find the apparently-rare poster/instructions on eBay (or anywhere else, for that matter). But at least I can get into Level 2 before facing the dreaded buzz saw. This game is definitely on my Top Ten List of Atari Lynx games.

Keep up the great work on Lynx Lounge, sir.

MillipedeMan

Tube Tunes - The Television Theme Music Podcast

Edited by MillipedeMan

I love Ninja Gaiden. I'm not very good at it, mainly because I haven't been able to find the apparently-rare poster/instructions on eBay (or anywhere else, for that matter). But at least I can get into Level 2 before facing the dreaded buzz saw.

I generally could make it to the railroad bridge in level 3.

That buzz saw was scary to me as a young teen. Then later on I would just sit there and wait for it to strike my ninja so I could see the screen turn red and wondered why they cut it off there and didn't show more. :twisted:

• 2 weeks later...

Garden! Love it, lol.

Apparently so did Electronics Boutique: http://huguesjohnson.com/scans/ebfall91/pg21.jpg

Back to Rampage - another fun ep of LL. I have fond memories of multiplayer goodness on both the arcade and Lynx versions. There's something about getting together and acting like demented 5-year-olds that is simply winning. Fun trivia - the title music is a faster version of the theme from an old C64 game called Movie Monsters.

Edited by butterburp
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked Ninja Gaiden and Rampage on the Lynx, but I thought that Double Dragon was a stinker. Graphics looked really nice, but too much of a limited view of the action and very choppy frame rate. It's one of those games that felt like it could've been done much better on the platform. Great content as always, though.

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that Rampage is zoomed is as well but I don't think it took much away from the gameplay.

• Like 1