IGNORED

POKEY'S 15kHz

emkay

I'm quite sure (without wanting to sound rude) you have an other tone perception.

In a Symphonic Orchestra I notice if someone plays a note in a violin group wrong... and I know what you explain. And "One Man and his Droid" is full out of tune either.... musically. The question is, Why don't you realize it?

And, there's no need to change something in my tunes, as it wouldn't, make things better... just different...

Edited by emkay

And, there's no need to change something in my tunes, as it wouldn't, make things better... just different...

Ok, but then you don't have to wonder, if you nearly the only person who finds your songs audible. (And yes, 'One man and his droid' is strange and also not my taste, but in respect to Pokey's abilities in tune - sorry...)

Edited by Irgendwer

freel free to do changes..

Ok, the notes of the bass line do not match to the lead (as expected). On instrument 05 (bass) is a note shift that seems 'to try' to catch up with this, but it's three half-tones off. Changing the shift from FA to FD fixes the harmonics. (Alternatively you can abstain from the shift and transpose the bass section - which I would normally do - wrong harmonics are then visible by their note names... (when you know the scales))

Also Pokey has a hard time to tune that high-whistling-sound correctly - this is detuned too. I change distortion this in the vid for testing purposes too.

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 3

Ok, the notes of the bass line do not match to the lead (as expected). On instrument 05 (bass) is a note shift that seems 'to try' to catch up with this, but it's three half-tones off. Changing the shift from FA to FD fixes the harmonics.

Interresting. I also checked "FD" before, but it causes nausea after some time, just like you're on a boat and the water is strongly waving, similar to most SID tunes. It is a relief to listen to "my tunings" after listning to them , and it's not the tune/music, as those "SID-Remixes" sound well and nice.

Well, my edit sounds "sour" somehow, but, if you don't listen to it directly, just reading something or playing a game, it is not interfering the "audio" . Just like a Radio Song.... those of the program fillers, not a super-hit, just some music, you listen to...

Edited by emkay

Seems, I have to buy an Oscilloscope to check the "real resulting" soundwaves. The only problem there is the missing features of any tracker, to adjust that...

Those "old" chips have physical limits in sound creation, the "limits" produce unexpected sounds.... which seems a possibility of enhancement for all of them, if you use that "the right way"....

I really try hard to get what you mean - I fail.

The main part of music is the correct jump between the notes. If this isn't correct, you simply cannot replay music. Just like that one "Lee Dawson" video.

That's what People mean , when talking "out of tune"...

If you keep the range in that circle, you are able to shift the circle , getting chords, building common harmonics.

Just to make something more clear: Instruments with a different base frequency can sound "out of tune" , but sounds that were build on a common base frequency could never sound "out of tune" , just disharmonic.

The unsharp 8 bit pitch resolution creates resulting sounds, that get a "different" base frequency sounding, thus it gets out of tune.

Using different notes from the same base frequency and fixed note circle also never sounds "out of tune" it can sound "out of key" or at least "out of taste".

So, using the unsharp 8-bit resolution, it is more useful to find chords, instead of risking false resulting tones.

That's why "my" edits use the note shift, because the harmonics of lower sounds, don't interfere the pitch of the main instrument, and build a chord together in the mid range.

Only when using the 15kHz mode and the real 16 bit voice, you can create "full in tune" arrangements.

Edited by emkay

It could be an interresting task.... To create a tune , that is based on the 15kHz mode, using 16 Bit for the main voice.

And, if musically posssible, switching to the "broad filter " aka " modulation", to enhance the instrumental part.

But, as it seems, the bridge will never get real. It's nearing to 40 years since... musical interrests were too different... and what not else ;) ...

How about this one? It's similar to the "FD" offset as "someone" ;) supposed... just everything 6 halftones lower and all sound base on 15kHz again.

Also, the higher part at the start uses 2 different timings to bring lower and higher notes closer together, and from 0:22 to 0:44 several timings have been used to enhance the face of the main instrument...

Edited by emkay
  • Like 3