IGNORED

FrankenColecoStein Finally Got the Ay-3-8912 Working

juice2839

if you do make these, Nintendo Famicom cartridge fits into the Colecovision expansion slot opening very nicely.

I have no idea how the famicom memory maps the Ay-8-8912 sound IC or even if the cartridges pinouts are close. This is mapped at the 50H 51H and 52H positions so it's SGM compatible.

Although I also have 24K memory enabled all the time on this CV it still doesn't play SGM games.. I suspect I need the bios rom/ Ram bank switching circuit too.

I have no idea how the famicom memory maps the Ay-8-8912 sound IC or even if the cartridges pinouts are close.

Think what grips03 is getting at is that the Nintendo Famicom cartridge shell fits into the Expansion Interface opening and if you were to proceed with this project further with a commercial release, the cartridge shells could be repurposed to house the PCB you design. The only down side would be that there wouldn't be a leg/post to support the weight like the Coleco ADAM AutoDialer has... which is what Opcode used as inspiration for his SGM plastic shell.

Think what grips03 is getting at is that the Nintendo Famicom cartridge shell fits into the Expansion Interface opening and if you were to proceed with this project further with a commercial release, the cartridge shells could be repurposed to house the PCB you design. The only down side would be that there wouldn't be a leg/post to support the weight like the Coleco ADAM AutoDialer has... which is what Opcode used as inspiration for his SGM plastic shell.

yes, what NIAD said :)

yes, what NIAD said :)

My bad. I over analyzed what you were talking about :) That's what happens when you're doing Boolean algebra at breakfast for the first time in forever. I plan to get it all working with discreet TTL and then fitting it in a CPLD probably a xl9536. Right now just seeing if I can get it all to work. The AY-3-8912 uses some stupid addressing. It sure was not meant to interface with the z-80 cpu.

Oh yeah and a shout out to Nanochess for this test rom. Thanks for putting the time into making this nice test utility program.

Edited by juice2839
  • Like 1

I think if you play the ADAM supergames, it uses the bios routines. I believe the MSX port map out the bios and use the extra 8KB of RAM.

I think you are correct and thanks Kiwi. I tried Galaga (Not sure who programmed this, but it's a really good port). The sounds are really accurate I think.

Is there some list of what games are what? Like a list of all games that run on this setup I have (basically an Adam I guess) and what needs the SGM that bank switches?

If you have the 24k enabled all time the games think it's an Adam all the sgm games I converted detect for if 24k is enabled if so detect for ay chip. If no 24k is enabled then try to enable it and check and then check for ay chip.

But if the game uses the BIOS to check if it's an Adam it will not work....

If you have the 24k enabled all time the games think it's an Adam all the sgm games I converted detect for if 24k is enabled if so detect for ay chip. If no 24k is enabled then try to enable it and check and then check for ay chip.

But if the game uses the BIOS to check if it's an Adam it will not work....

Excellent. Thank you for the heads up. What games did you produce Crazyboss? and hows the weather in Sweden?

Thanks, and now I have it working 100% with bank switching the lower ram.. Plays all the SGM games now :)

Congrats!

Next up, build an SD Drive for the ADAM that is compatible with disk and data pack image files... a lot of people have been hoping for that one for years. :P