IGNORED

Intellivision worth getting?

thetallguy24

Hell yes! Lots and lots of great original titles (incl. sports games that are actually fun to play) and the homebrew scene has really matured. Some of the best games for the system are some of the most recent! And most of the best games for the system are exclusive - so there you go. If you're into classic gaming and not into the Intellivision - you're not really into classic gaming. :rolling:

Get it! Burgertime is a great port but there are also exclusive games that make it worth getting such as Thunder Castle, Advanced D&D, Shark Shark and Utopia. The homebrew scene is also active with some great games. I think it's worth getting an intellivision for Christmas Carol alone. If you're a fan of breakout-type games, Stonix is amazing.

I've got an Atari 7800 and a Colecovision. Is there anything that the Intellivision can offer that those can't? Any good unique games, etc?

Tons of unique games, and a flavor all its own.

I personally think most of the best games on the Intellivision are oriented less towards action and more towards strategy or RPG elements, like the AD&D games (including Tower of Doom) and Utopia. Others prefer the arcade-oriented games, and that's fine.

The Intellivision also has better sound hardware than either of those consoles, and it shows. It has a whole range of bass frequencies that aren't present on the ColecoVision.

EDIT: Good point from save2600 -- the Intellivision sports library is easily the best of its era, and may have the best hit/miss ratio of any console.

There are quite few homebrews that are Intellivision only that are simply amazing, such as D2K, Christmas Carol, Ms. Pac-Man, Kroz, Ms. Night Stalker, Space Patrol, Super Chef BT. Then you have the great original titles like Night Stalker, BugerTime, Dungeons and Dragons, Thunder Castle. It is a great system.

But I can't use my own controller, right? The controllers are hard wired?

Intellivison has built in controllers, Intellivsion 2 and Sears have db9 ports - but they use the same Intellivision type controller. Sears Super Video Arcade is a great first system to buy.

• Like 1

I'd get one.. hell, why not. :)

Systems and games are pretty cheap compared to CV, etc.

Unique and exclusive games (and controllers), great homebrews too!

Like other have already said, the sound has a wide range.. this same sound chip was used in other systems and even arcade games. It's my favorite retro sound chip/PSG.

Intellivision will always hold a special place in my retro collection since it was one of the first few systems I started collecting for when I first got into the scene years back.

Try to get a Sears SVA if you do decide to get one, its the best overall version.

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

I've got an Atari 7800 and a Colecovision. Is there anything that the Intellivision can offer that those can't? Any good unique games, etc?

Yes.

Now about your avatar: it's great. We should do a team-up sometime. Mine came from a pirated 2600 cart, so the way I see it, eventually I need to write the first Macross/Robotech game for a pre-crash system.

Then you'll HAVE to get one :D

Funny, I've been trying to think of where to go next too, from Intellivision to ??? May be Atari 7800 or ColecoVision.

Ive had both a 7800 and colecovision. They both have great homebrew scenes. I would give the 7800 a slight edge because of the new edladdin controllers and adapters. I really do like the colecovision original library. The 7800 library leaves a lot to be desired, but what it does have is great. I havent played a lot of 7800 homebrews yet, but their are a lot on my want list. The upcoming 7800xm and concerto are also going to be great. Edited by adamchevy

Funny, I've been trying to think of where to go next too, from Intellivision to ??? May be Atari 7800 or ColecoVision.

Colecovision is definitely up there for me. Other than the horrible controllers (and you can use a regular joystick for 90% of games), it's a great system with a lot of power for its day. The boxes are almost as fun to collect as Intellivision, and it's got a great homebrew scene. The number of released titles is similar (about 145 or so) so it's attainable. Unlike the 2600, for example. It's also got a lot of fun addons (the roller controller and driving wheel are really fun) so it's similar to the INTV that way as well.

The rarest game sells for under $200 - last I checked, anyway - so it's not prohibitively expensive (again, see 2600).

It was my main focus for a while, until you Intellivision maniacs converted me.