IGNORED

More disk issues

Opry99er

hmm, so as mentioned before, try to isolate the problem.

Use a spare PEB (with your 1 existing flexcable),

use a(nother) ONE cleaned floppydrive,

use new/other DS-SD-floppydisks,

maybe also try SS-SD-floppydisks

Don´t use things which are not needed for a plain disktest (32K, RS232, ...)

and thereby change/use any part that you have in double (console, .... ) for this test

and try to re-produce the error.....

The more you change, the more you can get from a test.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.... Been doing some MAJOR work on my system today. Two things discovered.

1) Two of my three 32k cards are bad

2) One of my three 3.5" drives is bad

I have been taking a few videos throughout the process and maybe it will help some folks out once I edit it down. I am labeling all my bad hardware parts now... Need to go through and replace some chips...

Now I need a way to comprehensively test my disk controller card, because things are still not quite right.

I have been taking a few videos throughout the process and maybe it will help some folks out once I edit it down. I am labeling all my bad hardware parts now... Need to go through and replace some chips...

Now I need a way to comprehensively test my disk controller card, because things are still not quite right.

Owen, do you have any way to load a program into your Minimem cart?

I have two bad 32k cards and one that is working beautifully... When I was in Denver, I lived in an old house and we had brown-outs 3-4 times a week... Must have fried my stuff, because before Denver, ALL my gear was in tip top shape.

Edited by Opry99er

Okay, finally got the 3.5 drive swapped successfully and now both 3.5 drives are back to kickin' ass. :)

Hopefully with the cleaning I did on the 5.25 and getting rid of the two faulty 32k cards, I should have a fully operational disk system now. I haven't had the time to test out any old TI disks yet on the 5.25, but both the 3.5s will initialize, save, catalog, and load. That is an AWESOME feeling.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Uhg, this is exactly the problem I'm having but I also am trying to use DSHD floppies. OK, I guess I won't know if I can get past disk error 31 until I get the correct disks to use.

The "Uhg" factor... one of the many reasons I recommend the Lotharek HxC floppy emulator all the time. Unless one is a purist, messing around with old drives can be such a drag. First you have the issue and expense of all the individual disks, and the need to keep buying more as your software library grows. Second, interfacing and compatibility issues can be an issue. After you pay the shipping on all this half worn out mechanical equipment, you'll still need to invest in cleaning supplies for when one of those ancient disks flake off and cause havoc.

I love the old computers, but not the aging storage media of the last century.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not able to purchase anything more for this. I basically have to get the floppies I need or I'm stuck off the old iron for now.

I'll just keep developing in emulation until I can do something about that.

I don't even see a point in starting e/a with out being able to save to disk.

At least I have tape drive for now. Just gotta keep the code small and extended/basic.

Well I ordered a box of the correct floppies. I will probably order another box or two over the next few weeks just to stock up on a few.

I have several options for storage to explore in the future including the hxc floppy emulator and finding a ti branded rs232 card.

For now, I'll rely on the ssdd disks I ordered for storage and a method I have yet to prove out for getting programs to the ti from pc. I can get up to 11k at a time to the ti via my PC using CS1er, then save each piece (one at a time) to floppy, then allegedly; use a merge command to put it all together.

So until my floppies arrive (Sept. 6th) I'll keep jugging along in emulation for development and fr99 for gaming. I played Alpiner today for more time than I care to admit. I don't care what anyone thinks, I like that game. Oh and Snake Plissken! Holy cow what a great little game.

• Like 1

I have used HD 3.5" floppies with the hole covered in my TI system, BUT I am also using an HD drive (at low density). It works, but I would never store important data on such a disk.

Why I use SCSI and IDE hard drives.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this but I thought having more than one 32k expansion card in the PEB is overkill (the console can only access one 32k memory expansion card at a time), yet you're using three. Is that correct?

I'm sure he didn't mean he was using them at the same time. ;)

It's worse than overkill, it can actually damage the buffer chips as they all try to drive the bus at the same time. (Hopefully to the same levels, which is less risky, but still not a Good Thing. ;) )

• Like 1