Photo

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

274 replies to this topic

#1 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,221 posts

Posted Sun Nov 8, 2015 5:22 PM

Having Bob's approval, the below video has been made public.

All standard game rounds are played through with both a no bonus and max bonus ending highlighted.

However, the video is not providing the location of the warps or accessing and playing the secret level.  All available extra lives and hidden area locations are not shown either.

#2 Defender_2600 OFFLINE  

Defender_2600

Moonsweeper

• 483 posts

Posted Sun Nov 8, 2015 6:22 PM

Awesome! I love it!

:)

#3 BillyHW OFFLINE  

BillyHW

River Patroller

• 3,353 posts

Posted Sun Nov 8, 2015 6:28 PM

The soundtrack is great.

#4 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Quadrunner

• 5,601 posts

Posted Sun Nov 8, 2015 7:19 PM

Fantastic!! Game looks great and the soundtrack is amazing! Can't wait for it to come out. It's so on my want list. It is similar to Adventure Island and Wonderboy.

#5 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 14,153 posts

Posted Sun Nov 8, 2015 7:22 PM

And the 7800 greatness just keeps a comin'!  

#6 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,633 posts
  • Atari 7800 & NES Developer

Posted Mon Nov 9, 2015 10:39 AM

Hopefully the 'Pokey' issue (or lack of) will get resolved soon and this game can finally make it out the door.

#7 Stun Runner 87 OFFLINE  

Stun Runner 87

Stargunner

• 1,208 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:13 AM

This game back in the 1980s would have definitely gave Nintendo a fun for its money. Proof that Atari 7800 was capable of more than meets the eye.
Great job PMP. Great Job.
Flawless graphics, fun game play, great sound.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍☝☝☝☝☝☝☝

#8 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,316 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:15 AM

Looks like NES; Pokey sounds sorta like a Game Boy. Totally digging Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker soundtrack as well. Also clever use of parallax scrolling... Do want! 8)

#9 Cafeman OFFLINE  

Cafeman

Quadrunner

• 6,396 posts
  • Coding and testing

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:42 AM

Wow, I have seen the game play before, but this is the first I've heard the full pokey soundtrack. Is there a list of the musical pieces used? I recognize them all but can't think of all their names.

Awesome work, all!

#10 PhoenixMoonPatrol OFFLINE  

PhoenixMoonPatrol

Moonsweeper

• 467 posts
  • Gonna take crackerjack timing to beat me pal

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:00 AM

Is there any rough idea when this would be released?

Argh another very cool game to buy,counting my dollars,need to give blood at the blood bank. :P

Well done,game looks really good though.

And its ait of a shock to see a side scroller on the system since theyre rare to begin with.

Very excited to see the 7800 pull this off,well done PacManPlus ;-)  :thumbsup:

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol, Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:01 AM.

#11 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,633 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:52 AM

Thanks, guys!

This would not look and sound anywhere near like it does without PAC-MAN-RED for the graphics, and Synthpopalooza for the music.

Speaking of the Parallax scrolling, when PAC-MAN-RED first showed me the graphics for the complete forest level (as shown in 1-5 and 1-6), I remember replying to him that I HAVE to make that use Parallax scrolling!  (At the time the game didn't yet, and I wasn't completely sure how to accomplish it.  But I knew with those graphics I had no choice but to make it happen) :)

The only thing holding it up is the lack of Pokeys / Hokeys.

Thanks again,

Bob

#12 mckafka99 OFFLINE  

mckafka99

Stargunner

• 1,016 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:15 AM

I have a NIB, sealed Ballblazer I would gladly contribute (for the POKEY) to finally get this on cart. This looks and sounds fantastic!

#13 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,316 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:24 AM

Thanks, guys!

This would not look and sound anywhere near like it does without PAC-MAN-RED for the graphics, and Synthpopalooza for the music.

Speaking of the Parallax scrolling, when PAC-MAN-RED first showed me the graphics for the complete forest level (as shown in 1-5 and 1-6), I remember replying to him that I HAVE to make that use Parallax scrolling!  (At the time the game didn't yet, and I wasn't completely sure how to accomplish it.  But I knew with those graphics I had no choice but to make it happen) :)

Thanks again,

Bob

Will this be an XM only release, or will it come with Hokey chip standard? I'm not entirely sold on the XM and besides high score cart functionality, two of it's biggest features (Hokey/Pokey and extra RAM) can be added to carts as needed with the advanced CPUWIZ boards. I'd hate for homebrews to be restricted to the "XM owners club" when said hardware could potentially be added to carts for maybe a $5 upcharge. I would easily pay $35 or even $40 for Hokey homebrews.

#14 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,334 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:21 AM

The last build I had didn't show the Bentley sprite correctly but played the sound. Assumed it was an XM compatability thing.

Can't wait to purchase the real game

#15 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,633 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:29 AM

Will this be an XM only release, or will it come with Hokey chip standard? I'm not entirely sold on the XM and besides high score cart functionality, two of it's biggest features (Hokey/Pokey and extra RAM) can be added to carts as needed with the advanced CPUWIZ boards. I'd hate for homebrews to be restricted to the "XM owners club" when said hardware could potentially be added to carts for maybe a $5 upcharge. I would easily pay $35 or even $40 for Hokey homebrews.

I'm not sure, but if I were to guess, there will be two versions: a more expensive stand-alone version including the Pokey, and a cheaper (because of the standard board without a Pokey) XM version.

The last build I had didn't show the Bentley sprite correctly but played the sound. Assumed it was an XM compatability thing.

Can't wait to purchase the real game

That sounds more like an emulator issue than anything else. :( The newest version of M.E.S.S. displays and sounds as it should (for me anyway).

Thanks again, guys-

Bob

#16 funknflow5200 OFFLINE  

funknflow5200

Chopper Commander

• 229 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 AM

I'm totally willing to try this out on my Concerto with the Pokey installed for the sake of science!

#17 Synthpopalooza OFFLINE  

Synthpopalooza

Stargunner

• 1,420 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 AM

Thanks for posting that video.  I had never seen all of the levels in the game yet ...

Some interesting tidbits about the music ...

The Witch fight music is the opening from the classical Lizst piece Mephisto Waltz.  I thought it seemed suitably creepy.  A later selection of the same piece was used as the opening music for the arcade game Crystal Castles.

Level 1 music is from the Dance of the Hours ballet.  This piece is also more commonly heard in the Alan Sherman song "Hello Madduh Hello Fadduh"

The Nutcracker Suite music got used alot on the arcade Crystal Castles, so of course it had to make its way here too.  Level 2 is Waltz of the Flowers, Level 3 is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, the invincible music on those levels is the Russian Dance.  I had also considered using the Chinese Dance on a level, but I think we will save that for the sequel. ;)  Oh, and of course, the iconic March of the Toy Soldiers theme when you win the game, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture when you beat the Witch.

On the castle level, I had to use the Sorcerer's Apprentice suite.  It just fit.  And on level 5, Holzst's Mars The Bringer of War.

The opening theme music is, of course, The Teddy Bears Picnic.  An interesting copyright conundrum exists ... the lyrics are under copyright (having been written in 1933), but the melody is not (having been composed in 1912) so I determined we were free to use this music. :)  It just fits.

If you are able to make it to the hidden level ... there are a lot of desert/hot scenes there, so I wanted something spicy and Spanish ... the Carmen opera by Bizet served admirably well.  Look for the Toreador song, and the Carmen Overture (better known as the Bad News Bears theme) here. :)

#18 78001987 OFFLINE  

Stargunner

• 1,230 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:12 PM

Is there a ROM floating around of the final version? or maybe a close to finished RC?

I'd love to fire up MESS on my 65" TV HTPC and give it a go before we can buy a proper cart.

#19 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,334 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:45 PM

That sounds more like an emulator issue than anything else.  :( The newest version of M.E.S.S. displays and sounds as it should (for me anyway).

Yeah - I actually had the issue on a real device, using a Cuttle Cart with a POKEY installed. Got this weird result. I may not have the final BIN but I thought I did.

image.jpeg

Edited by DracIsBack, Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:46 PM.

#20 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,633 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:52 PM

Ah!   Ok - then it's the setup that is wrong.  The address of the Pokey is the same as the sprite graphic area - $4000 (Pokey - write only, Graphics - read only).  I don't think there exists a CCII banking scheme that supports that setup. :(

That's why I (I believe) had to change the Pokey to Address $450 for the Versa-Board.

#21 bigbacon OFFLINE  

bigbacon

Star Raider

• 75 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:24 PM

So...is this going to be released in a physical form?

#22 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,221 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:27 PM

So...is this going to be released in a physical form?

Answered here.   Short Answer: Yes.  

Mass availability of POKEY, or the clone substitute HOKEY, is the hold up.

#23 DracIsBack OFFLINE  

DracIsBack

Quadrunner

• 5,334 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:31 PM

Ah!   Ok - then it's the setup that is wrong.  The address of the Pokey is the same as the sprite graphic area - $4000 (Pokey - write only, Graphics - read only).  I don't think there exists a CCII banking scheme that supports that setup. :(

That's why I (I believe) had to change the Pokey to Address $450 for the Versa-Board.

I suspect there never will be either. Cuttle Cart II is an awesome product, but always got the sense that Chad couldn't support it anymore (maybe not his choice) and no one can fill the void. The bankswitch question has come up here before for things like 256K games too. 

#24 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,300 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 PM

Fantastic work. I love how the defeated characters turn into points and then are whisked away off the screen. That just proves right there that the 7800 was capable of flinging the defeated enemies in Kung Fu Master off the screen similar to the arcade original.

#25 Kosmic Stardust ONLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,316 posts

Posted Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 PM

Thanks for posting that video.  I had never seen all of the levels in the game yet ...

Some interesting tidbits about the music ...

The Witch fight music is the opening from the classical Lizst piece Mephisto Waltz.  I thought it seemed suitably creepy.  A later selection of the same piece was used as the opening music for the arcade game Crystal Castles.

Level 1 music is from the Dance of the Hours ballet.  This piece is also more commonly heard in the Alan Sherman song "Hello Madduh Hello Fadduh"

The Nutcracker Suite music got used alot on the arcade Crystal Castles, so of course it had to make its way here too.  Level 2 is Waltz of the Flowers, Level 3 is Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies, the invincible music on those levels is the Russian Dance.  I had also considered using the Chinese Dance on a level, but I think we will save that for the sequel. ;)  Oh, and of course, the iconic March of the Toy Soldiers theme when you win the game, and Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture when you beat the Witch.

On the castle level, I had to use the Sorcerer's Apprentice suite.  It just fit.  And on level 5, Holzst's Mars The Bringer of War.

The opening theme music is, of course, The Teddy Bears Picnic.  An interesting copyright conundrum exists ... the lyrics are under copyright (having been written in 1933), but the melody is not (having been composed in 1912) so I determined we were free to use this music. :)  It just fits.

If you are able to make it to the hidden level ... there are a lot of desert/hot scenes there, so I wanted something spicy and Spanish ... the Carmen opera by Bizet served admirably well.  Look for the Toreador song, and the Carmen Overture (better known as the Bad News Bears theme) here. :)

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users