IGNORED

Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest - Complete Game

Trebor

Thank you for the compliments. :)

There actually was an .a78 release: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/199637-work-in-progress-bentley-bear-crystal-quest/page-32

Off the top of my head, I don't remember if the newest version of M.E.S.S. will handle the special addressing (I know no other emulator will as of yet). Unless something changes, there will be two versions: a less expensive version for the XM (as the Pokey sound chip is in the XM) and a slightly more expensive stand-alone version. The only thing holding this release back is the lack of Pokeys or their replacement.

Thank you again

• Like 5

I really hate to shoot you down for your effort and work, etc - but I think there is yet to be a definitive platform game for the 7800.

I've never played the 7800 - but I do have a strong interest in videogames development - particularly with the graphic design, as such, since that is an interest/hobby of mine.

But besides the graphics (in which the more animation there is, the better...) the programming also has to be of high quality too - in this case, responsive control and movement.

You don't want a game that is too responsive/sensitive - nor one that is too slow/sluggish. You don't want a simple jump, but one that actually looks like a jump, as with a hill vector movement looks more natural.

A good example of a platform game could be Wonderboy - or take any other such videogame that you like.

And for originality - you can look at the graphics of Crownland. Sadly this game suffers from not having the best control system in place and would have benefited greatly had a 2 button joypad been in use for it.

Anyway - to want to strive towards being better and better in your work - you have to be truthful about your current effort(s) or you'll not correct any mistakes/weaknesses present.

I would be keen to work on any 7800 project(s) if I can be of use for them.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

I really hate to shoot you down for your effort and work, etc - but I think there is yet to be a definitive platform game for the 7800.

I've never played the 7800 - but I do have a strong interest in videogames development - particularly with the graphic design, as such, since that is an interest/hobby of mine.

But besides the graphics (in which the more animation there is, the better...) the programming also has to be of high quality too - in this case, responsive control and movement.

You don't want a game that is too responsive/sensitive - nor one that is too slow/sluggish. You don't want a simple jump, but one that actually looks like a jump, as with a hill vector movement looks more natural.

A good example of a platform game could be Wonderboy - or take any other such videogame that you like.

And for originality - you can look at the graphics of Crownland. Sadly this game suffers from not having the best control system in place and would have benefited greatly had a 2 button joypad been in use for it.

Anyway - to want to strive towards being better and better in your work - you have to be truthful about your current effort(s) or you'll not correct any mistakes/weaknesses present.

Harvey

Talk is cheap, make a better game, dickhead. :thumbsdown:

• Like 7

Harvey

I hate to shoot down your criticism, but you mention "Game Development", making a better game, but don't give one example of what you find wrong. Not to mention talking down to someone (anyone) as in "you have to be truthful about your current effort(s) or you'll not correct any mistakes/weaknesses present." Who are you?

Making a good game is my goal. I appreciate *helpful* suggestions to make a game better, not just someone coming in here and saying "it's not good enough".

• Like 16

I do apologise for intruding upon this thread/forum - and I know how sensitive it is to try to give fair criticism.

Platform games have not been my area of work, in past efforts - as there was only one such project that comes to mind.

So I know how difficult the animation and movement within one can be - to deliver good results.

Of course, I expected a harsh reaction to my first comments here as retrogaming forums in general encourage their developers,

rather than harshly criticise them. However to improve from a good game towards one which will be ranked highly on it's own

merits - you have to know what weaknesses are present - and how to go about improving them.

To improve in one's own work, it is never about competition against others (if there are any?) but it's all about

competing against oneself - to simply do the best you are capable of.

Anyone who has a genuine interest in this conversation - can look up my background, to know that I do support things Atari and

Atari developments in general.

I am in awe of those programming anything for Atari hardware because it involves a lot of time, effort and hard work involved.

And talent too.

Harvey

Sadly this game suffers from not having the best control system in place and would have benefited greatly had a 2 button joypad been in use for it.

Bentley Bear uses 2 buttons: One button runs and fires, the other button jumps. Unless the one button control scheme is in place via difficulty switch settings. Further, it plays perfectly fine with the 7800 2-button joypad.

Nonetheless, what controller type option provides the most benefit is often a subjective item. For example, (Vs.) Super Mario Bros. (original Arcade game) is joystick only. However, the near exact port under the NES can be controlled with a standard NES digital game pad, Max analog(ish) joypad, or Advantage joystick.

You don't want a simple jump, but one that actually looks like a jump, as with a hill vector movement looks more natural.

So, ideally a variety of ways to jump inclusive of an arc slope and not just having one, straight up and down, simple-single kind of jump. To run a fuller gambit: a short arc jump, long arc jump, either while walking or running; a stand still jump, and perhaps even the ability to change directions (or not) mid-air while jumping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfK97UXJkw

Yep...it's all there.

Sorry for the quick video missing the extra long momentum jump, among other jump tricks that are possible in the game.

• Like 1

I do apologise for intruding upon this thread/forum - and I know how sensitive it is to try to give fair criticism.

Platform games have not been my area of work, in past efforts - as there was only one such project that comes to mind.
So I know how difficult the animation and movement within one can be - to deliver good results.

Of course, I expected a harsh reaction to my first comments here as retrogaming forums in general encourage their developers,
rather than harshly criticise them. However to improve from a good game towards one which will be ranked highly on it's own
merits - you have to know what weaknesses are present - and how to go about improving them.

To improve in one's own work, it is never about competition against others (if there are any?) but it's all about
competing against oneself - to simply do the best you are capable of.

Anyone who has a genuine interest in this conversation - can look up my background, to know that I do support things Atari and
Atari developments in general.

I am in awe of those programming anything for Atari hardware because it involves a lot of time, effort and hard work involved.
And talent too.

Harvey

Dude, knock it off.

"Fair Criticism" :lol: - once again, all you have done is criticize, and give no example as to what you find wrong. And you still have some sort of 'high-and-mighty' attitude. You're a troll.

I'm probably wrong for 'feeding' the troll, but once you can actually give "Fair criticizm" then you will be listened to. Until then, bugger off.

I constantly strive to make myself better, and you will find in every game development thread I am taking suggestions from people here.

...and as I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I have no need to explain anything to you, as all you are trying to do is either a) knock the game (or me) down, or b) try to get a rise out of us here.

Either way, you're on 'Ignore'.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10

I know how sensitive it is to try to give fair criticism.

But you didn't do anything of the sort.

All you did was state that it wasn't good enough (lol), that you're ignorant of the entire platform, that PacManPlus wasn't improving from game to game, that he was kidding himself about what he was capable of, that he should look at any other videogame to get an idea of what he should be striving for, and that you're interested in videogaming as a hobby.

And you inferred that there possibly weren't enough frames of animation for the characters, that movement of Bentley Bear was perhaps either too responsive or not responsive enough, and that his art-style perhaps wasn't original enough.

You didn't give one bit of constructive criticism that could be of any useful benefit to anyone. All you did was state that the game and its creator wasn't good enough.

I bet you didn't even fire it up in M.E.S.S...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

There are sprite sheets out there, to assist with animation.

There are any number of platform games out there, which you can look at, to assist with getting the character to 'jump' and also move/walk, etc.

As the programmer - you do have full control over any and all aspects of what you see on screen.

Whether or not you choose to do the graphics yourself (some programmers can do their/all their own graphics designs if they are likewise talented in that area also) - or prefer to have someone do the graphics for you if you don't enjoy working on the graphics design too?

I don't like being labelled a 'troll' when I'm not here to stir up trouble and get people all riled up, ie. upset.

The first 2 projects I worked on - back in the day, were shooter games - Laser Hawk and HawkQuest - for the Atari 800 / 400 home computers, in which I did the graphics designs for. The programmer was a friend back then, and we were two enthusiasts as such who liked to create their own computer videogames.

In the last 3 years - I have been working on a project which does revisit those games graphics and updates them - which include a whole lot of other graphics - in which graphics are used from other sources/etc.

I have some idea of what 7800 graphics are like, because I am reusing some 7800 graphics and updating it.

I would like to work on some 7800 projects - with the intention of pushing the envelope for whatever projects I can work together on. That is, if I can find any 7800 programmer willing to work with me? If I am not wanted - fine. You can't say I didn't want to contribute in what way I can - and help bring a special project(s) to the 7800.

I think something better than Plutos and Sirius can be done but I don't know what the 7800 hardware is capable of - but like to find out what it can do? and cannot do? In some areas it's not as capable as the Atari 400/800 hardware - that is, it's background colours and animation?

Harvey

I would like to work on some 7800 projects - with the intention of pushing the envelope for whatever projects I can work together on. That is, if I can find any 7800 programmer willing to work with me? If I am not wanted - fine. You can't say I didn't want to contribute in what way I can - and help bring a special project(s) to the 7800.

LOL...Wow, dude.

(Old) Pro Tip...You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Here's somewhat of an equivocal baseball analogy of what has been accomplished in abbreviated form:

Man enters Yankee Clubhouse or Farm and states:

"Derek Jeter sucks.

I have some baseball playing experience.

Can I have a shot at playing with one of the New York Yankees?

If not, fine."

• Like 5

I just want to say again to Bob. Thank you so much AGAIN, for all of the hard work and dedication for what you have done for the whole community and bringing life back into the Atari 7800. All of the amazing homebrews and arcade ports you have done are second to none. It's sad and pathetic there are trolls here per say give you "constructive criticism" only to bash all of the hard work and time dedicated to the programmer. Just a troll that is jealous and wants to feel sorry for in helping develop games for a system that they never even played. Keep on keeping on and doing what you are doing Bob. Your games are outstanding! And I can't wait for a physical media of Bentley Bear's CQ. You are the primary reason for why I am enjoying the 7800 even more!:)

• Like 8

Bob has always took construtive criticism of all his games and has made many changes to his games based on feedback. He has playtesters and hardware backup people on his team along with graphics and sound.

He has many many games and obviously has learnt lots and improved along the way.

To say he does not push himself you are an idoit. You have no idea the number of games he has made in years like 2011 2012 was cranking out one a month it seemed.

You have offered no constructive feedback on anything so your whole point is garbage.

And yes we do support our programmers with praise and are greatfull for what they do.

Please leave the forum. Thats my vote.

Back pedaling will get you nowhere your already tagged a piece of crap. So yeah leave. Oh remember to tell your troll friends we at atariage are real bad people and whatnot. Cause we don't need people like you!

• Like 4

You guys are way too sensitive - and are reading so much extra between the lines of what I have written. Truly.

I would like to work on some 7800 projects that look like they were written/developed in 2016 - that makes full use of what resources

we have available today.

Don't you believe in a world in which you have the freedom available to say what you like to say? Or rather you like to live in some

Disneyque world in which everything is so heavily edited out and so Politically Correct - that you are made to toe some imaginary line?

I am about as enthusiastic as you lot are - when it comes to developing/encouraging new projects for anything Atari.

My initial comment is something along the lines of 'The emperor has no clothes on' like comment.

Chill out... my intention was not to get people so uptight and heated in their response. I am an Atari enthusiast at heart - so, I am not unlike you lot at all.

Harvey

I don't like being labelled a 'troll' when I'm not here to stir up trouble and get people all riled up, ie. upset.

You went beyond stirring the pot. Seriously dude, you're not being funny or cute. Bob is an amazing programmer and all you do is poop on his work. We have a word for that here:

"POOPYHEAD."

I would like to work on some 7800 projects that look like they were written/developed in 2016 - that makes full use of what resources

we have available today.

The 7800 is nearly 30 years old. You wanna make some 2016 lookin games? Get an Android devkit and make some crappy smartphone games. Geeze dude. You have no right to spread your feces here.

• Like 2

Bob is an excellent programmer. I am saying this because I actually took a computer programming class in High School back in 1994-1995 and I know how difficult programming is due to that class.

What I had to do in class difficult despite using basic for creating text programs work correctly on a Apple II computer and the difficult time I had in programming is why I don't want to program a thing and respect those who do programming.

I called a Bob an excellent Programmer based on the fact he actually he got better as time went on. Bob matter of fact didn't do scrolling game right away, but did as time went by. While Bob did a great job at hacking Mrs. Pac-man into Pac-Man Collection, he went from hacking to developing games from scratch. Bob also as time went on that he can do great games that aren't Pac-Man style games from scratch also.

Case in point is Bob is the first Atari 7800 programmer ever to use paddle controllers on a game and it worked great in Crazy Brix. I matter of fact got Crazy Brix in the mail last Friday. Crazy Brix to me is one of the true great Breakout or Arkanoid type games ever based on the nature of the elements in the game as you advance forward deeper in the game. Bob also did the rare accomplishment of using voice in a 7800 game without the need of using an Atari vox for Frenzy and Berzerk.

What Bob did with the Atari 7800 was taking it places where it didn't go before. The 7800 myths like the 7800 can't do scrolling and that was mentioned on digital press matter of fact years ago, and Bob proved that myth was wrong. The 7800 had a tiny game library and games like Plutos and Sirius actually wasn't released on cartridge form for many years.

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 5

For those who have played, what is the difficulty of the game? I didn't wanna watch too much of the video because I can already tell the game is up my alley, I'm just concerned you could spam the fire button, walk left right and just jump over the holes, in a nutshell.

Fixed. That said, nearly every platformer since Super MArio Brothers has been left to right. A right to left platformer would be cool just to be a bit different from the status quo.

For those who have played, what is the difficulty of the game? I didn't wanna watch too much of the video because I can already tell the game is up my alley, I'm just concerned you could spam the fire button, walk left and just jump over the holes, in a nutshell.

No chance of just spamming the fire button, walking and jumping over holes (or/and enemies) happening throughout the majority of the game. You *have to* stop often and make timed attacks and approaches. The various enemies throughout the game have different patterns of attacks, movements, and abilities.

The game is challenging, undoubtedly some parts harder than others, naturally and especially with the later levels, but also by no means impossible.

• Like 2