IGNORED

Secretum Labyrinth The Legend Cartridge about to be released.

peteym5

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which label you like the most?

• White Label
    • Silver Label (Atari early 80s style)
    • Yellow Label (Tengen style)
    • Blue Label (Atari XEGS style)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The Silver Label is suppose to be a retro label similar to early 1980s Atari 2600/5200 labels that have Atari at the top and a little 2600 or 5200 vertically along the side. Can call it 2nd We adjusted the label to make it our own. There is a third generation that came after Tremeil took over. KJMANN used the XEGS style for Tempest and Venture and I wanted something different to show we are no longer Atlantis Games Group. I know he created some friction with people on other threads that I want to avoid and keep things positive.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/Homebrew/Atari%205200%20Asteroids.jpg

Pete talking serious, no put down and construtive posting I think that you better, my humble opinion, put here real screen .png with no artifactings/blendings and watermarks.

Beeing a guy with some years of A8 and latest doing gfxs and knowing the hardware I can see things and in seconds got whats the GR. mode, PMGs,... and you already said from the other game, that has the playing area gfxs seems in Antic4 charmode 5colours and two 3colours PMGs multicolour mode for the guys then if more than two at the same scanline(s) they or one/some of them will flicker. And it is, almost sure you're engine from what I/We can see.

Again, believe me, construtive and if the game is good please post real resolution of the machine(s) pictures let, with no fear, possibility that all can see the game and also to better post a video.

You and us maybe have some 'not so good' conversations on the past but you're real and not like another (Pete or Peter or whatever name I really can't remember), the one from Centron 3D.

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

With you Jose,

Me and Petey have not always seen eye to eye but I keep plugging away to encourage as I've seen some nice products with the odd flaw but as long as people talk about the issues and not take offence then you can normally come to a mutual answer. I really am trying to help you Petey and are 99% of the people on here so lets see some proper pics and a video at the very least, for many the selling point (as I said a post or so back) is when they see the game in action, obviously a demo helps but at least a video conveys a lot about the product.

I'd love to see time limited demo's or demo's where you have removed 50 - 90 of the actual map data so the person see's the game but keeps your feat of hacks safe.

Makes it harder for people to download images, alter, and re-post them. I have seen some real nasty and inappropriate things to pictures. https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/phake-games-2/5/Look what someone did to a Tengen Pac-Man Label, very racist.

Some details about the game are being protected from being revealed prior to the game release. I did not want the scroll text to be easy to read. Since this is an adventure game that has a solution. Need to surprise people for when they play the game.

Edited by peteym5

Makes it harder for people to download images, alter, and re-post them. I have seen some real nasty and inappropriate things to pictures. https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/phake-games-2/5/Look what someone did to a Tengen Pac-Man Label, very racist.

Pete, you seem completely afraid of your shadow. If someone's going to make a parody cover, you can't stop them. This is just 8-bit software and it's 2015 and you act like you're trying to protect the latest release of AutoCAD or something. You make yourself an outsider in a community that would totally embrace what you're doing. Just IMHO.

• Like 10

Pete, you seem completely afraid of your shadow. If someone's going to make a parody cover, you can't stop them. This is just 8-bit software and it's 2015 and you act like you're trying to protect the latest release of AutoCAD or something. You make yourself an outsider in a community that would totally embrace what you're doing. Just IMHO.

I'd be totally flattered if somebody made a parody of one of my games/covers/whatever that's flattery! People might see it and be like, "Oh I wonder what the original was." Then drive interest to the original.

For every Duke Nukem 3D, there's a Duke Screw'em 38D. (Look it up it was a retail release. :3)

Edited by Jinroh

Looks very interesting to say the least. Any plans of ports to other systems?

Thought about an Atari 7800 port, Commodore 64 ports, NES, and Sega ports. Even a modern 3D PC port. I am not fluent with the 7800 and would like to bring in someone who really knows that system. I could not dig up much for the Commodore 64 cartridges and see if anything handled bank switching since this game has more than 64K of programming and data. Some systems, Super IRG frame blending and sprite multiplexing will not be necessary.

I had been working on a PC 3D Role Playing Game editor and game player for over 10 years. Gone through several title changes, but seemed to always be lacking a market interest, and the programming itself always seemed to be lacking something. I had put it aside about 4 years ago. The people who made the 3D engine it used had not updated their stuff in a long time either. Maybe Secretum Labyrinth could bring back some energy to it.

Edited by peteym5
  • Like 2

I guess I may as well thrown in some comments about the graphics style etc of the game.

That it looks like you're gone for functional (plain) graphics as such - and the animation would be likewise?

The other route would be to try to do something as nice as possible with the graphics - which I guess may be possible?

But going by this preview - this was not desired - for whatever reason.

But being a graphics guy - and the Atari is a graphics capable computer - I think that possibilities could have been explored. The limiting factor is always the scale chosen, in this case, fine detailing is not possible - but I'll guess animation is still possible.

I can't say I would come up with suitable graphics etc - as it's more of a matter of having a go to see what can be done?

I'm not always successful when trying something new and different.

I'm not really being critical over the route you have taken - because it's always up to the developer(s) what they want to do, and whether they are satisfied with what they have done, etc.

I guess I'm puzzled by the rather nice title font with nice colour - and the game uses plain graphics and plain colour.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove

Petey, forget about the altering of images, as said already, it will happen and to be honest I find it all very funny, there's some great wit in them but yes there will always be a bit of dark humour but just ignore it.

Hopefully looking forward to some form of crippled demo or video.

Thanks for the bigger screens.

Okay - the screens look interesting, not sure what the moment to moment play is, but I guess the video will expose that further :thumbsup:

Still think the label is odd - it detracts from the appeal of the game IMHO.

And what on earth are the watermarks about - those could be removed in a couple of seconds with photoshop, what purpose do they serve?

Of course your game, your decisions - just odd seeing the behaviour we abandoned in commercial development and publishing 20 years ago being trotted out in home-brew games - it didn't work for us then, and only alienates your potential customers - would it not be better to embrace your community?

sTeVE

• Like 1

I'd be totally flattered if somebody made a parody of one of my games/covers/whatever that's flattery! People might see it and be like, "Oh I wonder what the original was." Then drive interest to the original.

I think that's the rather uncomfortable premise here. It seems to me that notion that the game and the cover art are worth parodying, copying, disassembling, misappropriating, etc, is central to the entire marketing strategy. The sense of self-importance this carries may be an unintentional side-effect of paranoia, but nevertheless it's not especially appealing.

• Like 6

I think that's the rather uncomfortable premise here. It seems to me that notion that the game and the cover art are worth parodying, copying, disassembling, misappropriating, etc, is central to the entire marketing strategy. The sense of self-importance this carries may be an unintentional side-effect of paranoia, but nevertheless it's not especially appealing.

True, I don't think anyone will go to the trouble, it's an A8 game for a 30 year old PC. Hypothetically though it would be flattering. :D

Hypothetically though it would be flattering. :D

Absolutely. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and what's being inferred here is that this game is currently ripe for imitation and parody right across the Internet, up there with Super Mario, Pac-Man, Mortal Kombat, and other examples given. Um, right.

• Like 2

Absolutely. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and what's being inferred here is that this game is currently ripe for imitation and parody right across the Internet, up there with Super Mario, Pac-Man, Mortal Kombat, and other examples given. Um, right.

I was trying to be tactful and dance around such a statement in my responses, but yes.

• Like 2

Here are enlarged screenshots with the watermark toned back. That should look better.

I say this again with all due respect, but seriously, they're just screenshots. Every game has them available, and, once your game is in the wild, there will be nothing stopping them from being posted free and clear. Watermarks are not necessary and only make the images look weird, no matter how you place them. You should be proud of the product and let us see unaltered screenshots and, when ready, the promised direct feed video. It's basic marketing of a product I'm sure dozens of Atari 8-bit fans would be happy to buy, but putting up silly faux barriers is not endearing to the niche you're targeting here.

Here is the labels with the updated artwork that make the image less like a cartoon character. You can see there are two versions of the Silver label. Again the watermarks had been toned back so everyone can see what the final label will look like. We are just going to have one main label which is most likely be the 2nd Silver Label that looks less cluttered. We have to update the artwork for the manual and clam shell the game will be packaged into.

The Title is Latin that translates to similar English as Secret Maze (Chamber, Dungeon, or Catacomb). Tried other Latin words, but got too far from English. Latin sounding titles are popular with Role Playing Games. May also help with some of the foreign marketing with people speaking Spanish, Italian, or other languages with many Latin derived words.

post-14332-0-22963500-1447343535_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-97880900-1447343535_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-52006000-1447343536_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-25062900-1447343537_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-93185200-1447343537_thumb.jpg

Edited by peteym5