IGNORED

Alcatraz 'The Rock' track in arcade ver. of San Francisco Rush 2049

Parallax Scroll

It's pretty hard to find video of the Alcatraz track that was redone for the coin-op arcade machine version of San Francisco Rush 2049.

But I found some footage:

This track was cut from the Dreamcast port of Rush 2049 released in 1999.

[part of an IGN interview with with Atari Games' Ed Logg]

_______

IGN64: What are the differences between the arcade and home console versions of Rush 2049?

Ed: The arcade version had five tracks. They had Alcatraz that they beefed up again plus four new tracks. We're dropping Alcatraz because we've already done it twice before and people don't need to see it a third time. Besides, it really hasn't changed.

IGN64: Dreamcast owners have never seen the Alcatraz track, though. Will they get the chance?

Ed: [Pauses] Uh, for awhile we entertained the idea of getting all the old Rush tracks, taking the high-resolution textures and building them up. If we had time we could do that, but we're cutting pretty close on things we want to get into the game already and it's going to take us right to the hairy edge. Otherwise, I'd take all of the existing tracks from the other versions and put them in the Dreamcast game.

IGN64: Why not delay the game to November, put the tracks in and guarantee Internet play?

Ed: You know, I suggested that to management and you know what they told me? No [laughs]. Come September it's shipping ready or not.

IGN64: Just give us a baseball bat and we'll work it out with management.

Ed: Hey, I'll provide the bat. Yeah, I'd like to do it in November quite honestly because then I could be pretty sure to get Internet play in. Unfortunately, it's not my choice.

Anyway though, we've added two brand new tracks and dropped Alcatraz.

The Dreamcast version of Rush 2049 was the version also used in Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the original Xbox, PlayStation2, GameCube and PC which also contained a completely separate and completely terrible emulation of San Francisco Rush The Rock - Alcatraz Edition

There seems to be really no viable options yet for emulation in MAME, or anywhere else, of these Midway arcade games that ran on Atari's "Flagstaff" and "Denver" boards which were based on MIPS CPUs and 3DFX graphics accelerators. The Rush games in the Midway compilations are pretty much unplayable due to controls & physics being so incredibly botched, never mind the sound which is also totally screwed up.

/ excuse mini rant.