IGNORED

Cat Trax on a Videoplexer

Figmatic

i can't seem to load my images of this on the forum so i'm providing a Nintendoage link where i also posted this item http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=155065 (you will have to copy and paste this link for it to work i believe)

Thanks muchly on any info anyone can provide

Edited by Figmatic

Very interesting!

I attach here your pictures resized (the zipfile in your link is almost 5Mb, maybe they were too big to be uploaded directly in the forum)

post-10599-0-16471800-1447428037_thumb.jpg

post-10599-0-18482600-1447428039_thumb.jpg

It seems to be aspecial version of the Video Game Brain (http://www.8-bitcentral.com/blog/2014/gameBrain.html).

Never seen before.

Is it working? Could you take a screenshot of the game?.

If it can be opened without damaging any label would be interesting to see pictures of the board inside.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 2

There was a warning from Batari about the Video Game Brain and the way it gives power to all the carts and possible damage to the Atari.

He even has a mod to rewrite it for proper safe operation.

I followed the mod, but now the carts farther away from the first slot seem to fail more (as in failing to play, the carts are undamaged).

My questions about the capacitors, or kind of wire used, or suggestions of what I did wrong were never answered.

There was a warning from Batari about the Video Game Brain and the way it gives power to all the carts and possible damage to the Atari.

He even has a mod to rewrite it for proper safe operation.

I followed the mod, but now the carts farther away from the first slot seem to fail more (as in failing to play, the carts are undamaged).

My questions about the capacitors, or kind of wire used, or suggestions of what I did wrong were never answered.

Based on my limited experience with batari, not answering most likely means he was unaware of your question.

Based on my limited experience with batari, not answering most likely means he was unaware of your question.

Probably.

I won't bug him about a small issue like this.

And nobody else either did this mod, or did it and had no problems.

Plus I need to try different wire, even if all the continuity checks out the type of wire and solder joints might be poor.

Cool! I didn't realize it had a game built-in!

No kidding! Was wondering why in the heck it points to the game in an empty slot. As if in an alternate universe, Cat Trax was released and you were expected to place the cart in standby there. :lol:

So… can almost say that Cat Trax WAS indeed released BITD! But what an incredibly strange way to market it. Including it in such a strange and unpopular device. Were probably thinking it would help sell the damned thing. I was given a Video Game Brain for Christmas one year BITD, but it most certainly did not include that game!

• Like 1

here's another imgur link with shots of cat trax working and the board inside the unit

Thank you for the pictures! :thumbsup:

Interesting, looks like a Mask ROM to me.

Edit: actually it looks like it may be an EPROM with a discrete transistor inverter hacked into the footprint for the IC inverter.

The inverter is an IC (you can see that all the pins are there), but they saved on solder and just connected GND, VCC and the only used gate!

The rom probably is a 2532 eprom by looking at the traces from the nearest cart port and because the inverter output goes to pin 20 (which is /CE on a 2532).

post-10599-0-60439700-1447801049_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! :thumbsup:

The inverter is an IC (you can see that all the pins are there), but they saved on solder and just connected GND, VCC and the only used gate!

The rom probably is a 2532 eprom by looking at the traces from the nearest cart port and because the inverter output goes to pin 20 (which is /CE on a 2532).

attachicon.gifvgb+cattrax.jpg

Wow, what a bunch of cheap wads! I saw the missing solder and assumed the IC was not present. I wonder how many units it takes to save a penny !?

Wow, what a bunch of cheap wads! I saw the missing solder and assumed the IC was not present. I wonder how many units it takes to save a penny !?

To skip those that specifically, I'd guess they were hand soldered. If so, it wouldn't take long to recover the cost of doing nothing. :)

Edited by BigO

This is interesting indeed.

Never seen this version of the Video Game Brain before.

Made a note of this in our database.

Thanks for sharing!

8)

Rom, you accidentally wrote Cat "Rax" rather then "Trax" in your text.

A question if I may?

The CIB Cat Trax game shown in your pictures on that page has me confused.

You have it marked as NTSC and with an R10 grail.

So was it actually an officially released 2600 game? And if so, where?

(USA, Canada, South America, Europe,)?

Either way, regardless of the above, if this variation of the video game brain / videoplexer was intended for and available for purchase to USA consumers, and it did indeed come with Cat Trax built in on slot 7, then this is quite significant.

At the very least, revisiting a discussion or debate about the games official status is now on the table again.

Similar examples that come to my mind would be Colecovision Meteoric Shower & Sega Master System Snail Game.

This could throw a massive monkey wrench into my list, that's for sure.