Chip's Challenge - unreleased NES game found

7 replies to this topic

#1 TheRedEye OFFLINE  

TheRedEye

Moonsweeper

• 351 posts

Posted Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 PM

http://www.lostlevel...ge-for-the-nes/

Figured you Atari fans might appreciate this!

Edited by TheRedEye, Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:20 PM.

#2 Supergun OFFLINE  

Supergun

Stargunner

• 1,091 posts

Posted Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:47 PM

Excellent. It's a shame that it has no sound. And that the ending isn't implemented yet. But it's great to be able to enjoy it on the big screen.

The Lynx version was one of my favorite games among the first wave of releases. Lots of fun, very challenging, and was great on long road trips.

Thanks for the info.

#3 darthkur OFFLINE  

darthkur

River Patroller

• 4,431 posts
  • Traveler in time

Posted Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:46 PM

Thanks for the link. It's a shame this was never completed and released for the NES back then.

#4 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,818 posts

Posted Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:17 PM

I never played the Lynx version, but I spent MANY hours on the original Windows version.

This was the only game that I ever successfully hacked myself -- the level passwords were stored in a text file, but encrypted with a simple substitution cipher. Once I figured that out, I was able to chose any level that I wanted to play. ;) 

#5 masschamber OFFLINE  

masschamber

Stargunner

• 1,515 posts

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:18 PM

I never played the Lynx version, but I spent MANY hours on the original Windows version.

This was the only game that I ever successfully hacked myself -- the level passwords were stored in a text file, but encrypted with a simple substitution cipher. Once I figured that out, I was able to chose any level that I wanted to play. ;)

pretty sure the lynx release was first

#6 BillyHW OFFLINE  

BillyHW

River Patroller

• 3,549 posts

Posted Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:22 PM

Looks pretty good for NES.  Too bad it went unfinished.  I imagine there were a lot of NES projects right around that time that were abandoned due to the release of the SNES.

#7 masschamber OFFLINE  

masschamber

Stargunner

• 1,515 posts

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:43 PM

Looks pretty good for NES.  Too bad it went unfinished.  I imagine there were a lot of NES projects right around that time that were abandoned due to the release of the SNES.

don't forget untranslated Japanese releases, though considering how many nes games came out post snes, it seems like it was a bit of a crap shoot for nes projects getting canceled,

no sound on the nes chips challenge is definitely a bummer, I wonder if the music was going to be included in the final release because the lynx game had a great sound track

#8 7800Lover OFFLINE  

7800Lover

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:25 PM

I played Chip's Challenge on the computer; it was quite a challenge trying to figure the later levels as they got insane!

NES prototypes are quite fascinating to me as well.  It's interesting to see what we never got on that system. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users