IGNORED

New ST/STE PSU's designed in 2015 for pre-ordering

exxosuk

For those who have not yet seen my new STSM/STE PSU project..

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/psu/index.htm#2015

Basically a new PSU designed this year to replace the ageing ST PSU's. My PSU's offer fantastic efficiency and regulation and fits on the old PSU metal framework.

I am now taking pre-orders for the first batch to be built which can be ordered from my store...

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/store.htm

I've added in all the options for the the PSU (230V 110V types) and also UK, EU, USA. The transformer price itself includes additional postage costs due to the weight, so they transformer appears about £5 more. People will see need to add the postage separately at the top of the page like normal. Worst case is the transformer costs £20 for USA people to obtain. I am not 100% sure the postage costs are correct but I will be checking things tally before I actually post them out.
Please note these are PRE-ORDERS - meaning I have not built them yet and it is likely to take a couple of weeks. Once a order is placed, it goes in the "que" to be assembled and tested. The pre-orders have to be done so I know how many parts/transformers I need to buy for the first batch. So will be holding off for a few days to see how many orders come in :)
  • Like 5

So what is the transformer? Is that a power brick that sits outside the computer? Does the existing computer have a transformer inside already? Do you have a pic of the finished product taken externally? I like how my ST just takes a regular power cord. Will that change?

Theres images on the first post of the whole thing. Its all internal same as the normal PSU's.

For those who have not yet seen my new STSM/STE PSU project..

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/psu/index.htm#2015

Basically a new PSU designed this year to replace the ageing ST PSU's. My PSU's offer fantastic efficiency and regulation and fits on the old PSU metal framework.

I am now taking pre-orders for the first batch to be built which can be ordered from my store...

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/store.htm

I've added in all the options for the the PSU (230V 110V types) and also UK, EU, USA. The transformer price itself includes additional postage costs due to the weight, so they transformer appears about £5 more. People will see need to add the postage separately at the top of the page like normal. Worst case is the transformer costs £20 for USA people to obtain. I am not 100% sure the postage costs are correct but I will be checking things tally before I actually post them out.
Please note these are PRE-ORDERS - meaning I have not built them yet and it is likely to take a couple of weeks. Once a order is placed, it goes in the "que" to be assembled and tested. The pre-orders have to be done so I know how many parts/transformers I need to buy for the first batch. So will be holding off for a few days to see how many orders come in :)

Wow, that's totally awesome!!! Gotta get one of those!!!

• 5 months later...
FUTURE CHANGES

There will probably be one more batch of this design with the Toroidal Transformer. Mostly its proving time consuming to keep doing the wiring for them (among other things) . So I am likely going to opt for a PCB mount transformer on the next PCB run which is slightly smaller and quicker to assemble.

Also, as I have been asked about "dual voltages" a fair bit, I also plan to make use of the saved space and put a voltage selector on the PCB. This will save me a lot of work and I will not have to keep stock of 2 mains input voltages. The only downside, is the PCB transformer and switch are going to increase the price by probably around £6-8.

There is also some info about changes I am making to the PSU each batch I do. There is nothing to worry about, and nothing which needs changing on previous batches. Just mostly I am trying to find ways to speed up assembly. So eagle eye people may notice some slight variations if they ordered one previously.

More info here.

post-7597-0-05598100-1461851826_thumb.jpgpost-7597-0-12935500-1461851833_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

post-7597-0-69857100-1478815669_thumb.jpg

I've done:
8x 240V.
6x 110V.
I still have some things to finish off, but they should be in my store around Wednesday next week :)
These are the last of the original ST PSU design. Since I designed a more Falcon orientated PCB there was little use in keeping 2 designs in production , so the Falcon design will also double up as the ST PSU.
The Falcon design is very similar, but I have re-designed the PCB and used a much heavier weight copper. This got the regulation down to about 0.005V (5mV) P-P. IIRC the ST one was about 20mV (0.020). Though this doesn't mean much for the ST considering the regulation on the original PSU's was more like 0.2V (200mV).
Anyway, the Falcon PSU will be more expensive as the PCB price doubled. I've also started using larger capacitors which adds a little more expense. I suspect the price will add around £10 extra per board.
The Falcon version will also have the connector fitted. Though I am not sure how much more this will add to the cost yet as stripping /crimping/soldering cables gets really time consuming :roll: I would guess the cable part will add around £15 to the price tag. The ST versions will just be supplied as before without the cable.
Falcon PSU info here.
Don't ask me when the Falcon PSU will appear, as I don't know. Next year definitely. Busy with some other kits right now so PSU's will have to wait :)

Check them out in my store and other items..

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/

Edited by exxosuk

Nice, will snag a new Falcon PSU when you have them. I am guessing we would need a different design for the Mega STE/TT030? I should probably order one for the 1040STf as well, though I still need to work out what is wrong with the video.

I shelved the idea for a MSTE PSU for the time being. I have designed one,but not built it, simply because its just not possible to fit the circuit and the transformer in the confines of the PSU case. I had a MSTE in for repair a few weeks ago, so I have produced a re-cap kit for it instead.

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/psu/index.htm#MSTE

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0064

I honestly don't think the MSTE PSU needs a re-design. It seems pretty good as it is. The Falcon and ST/F/M/E PSU's have been failing for several years now. For 80s tech they are pretty good, but in terms of today's power switching they are pretty poor.

I have sold a few re-capped PSU's over the past year, but none for some months now. I might just abandon those as people are going for my own built PSU now anyway. People who want a cheap fix can still buy the re-cap kits from my store.

That is because your new PSUs look awesome. Not to mention using newer tech to keep the old machines running seems to be more desirable from the PSU side of things. I kind of wish someone would make updated external bricks for the 8-bit line that had 3d printed cases that looked like the originals...

That is because your new PSUs look awesome. Not to mention using newer tech to keep the old machines running seems to be more desirable from the PSU side of things. I kind of wish someone would make updated external bricks for the 8-bit line that had 3d printed cases that looked like the originals...

I have designed (and indeed got all the parts) to build a STM PSU and have done for several months. But again, lack of time. I'm trying to complete the smaller/easier stuff first and get that out of the way before going back to more time consuming stuff. Though its hard to know what to spend the time on. I must have about 20 projects on the go currently :-\