IGNORED

Old Coleco Factory in Amsterdam, NY

coleco1981

Greetings!

I don't live that far away from Amsterdam, NY where the headquarters for coleco was and I have been meaning to stop there to take a few pictures. The factory buildings and the area in general is definitely on a decline - its sad but I think its part of video game history and interesting to 'fanboys' like myself.

I was in the area and this time snapped a few pictures!

It would be cool to find original pictures taken from the 80's in the same spot for comparison.

This building I believe was the main office/administration building. It apparently has some history to it and has a cool clock tower on it. I believe it got converted to condos.

post-34010-0-93875600-1447650203_thumb.jpg

This building is the corner to a series of factories that I assume was where the action happened. I'm not sure what its used for now but its certainly seen better days, you can see a garage in the foreground that is currently an auto repair shop.

post-34010-0-13870000-1447650202_thumb.jpg

This building was across the street from the office/admin building - not sure if this was part of coleco or not. Its an interesting creepshow nonetheless.

post-34010-0-48018800-1447650201_thumb.jpg

Got closer to the coleco sign in all its faded glory.

post-34010-0-29005600-1447650198_thumb.jpg

This is to the right of the coleco sign where you can see what appears to be a series of interconnected factory buildings - which I didn't really 'explore'. There was some random guys with drinks covered in paper bags walking around which I don't think were really amused by me taking pictures around their hang out.

post-34010-0-64760000-1447650197_thumb.jpg

Hope you find these interesting!

Edited by coleco1981
  • Like 20

That last picture reminds me of a factory I worked at 25 years ago. The production plant was connected to the warehouse much like what is in your last picture. It was a conveyor belt where pallets could be loaded from the production floor and straight to the warehouse. Maybe that's what's going on in that last picture.

• Like 2

WOW! Totally awesome! Thank You! I had seen other sites with similar pics over the years... Here are some below...

http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/yasinsac/amsterdam/sanford.html

http://www.anupstateofmind.com/blog/the-factory-city/

Thanks for sharing - I was trying to find the Victorian house with the coleco sign on it but no luck. I guess that will be another excuse to stop again at some point down the road!

I hope they do something with these old factory buildings, I know that things don't get made in america anymore (sad) but hopefully the area and buildings can be revived into something great again (preserving the coleco sign of course)

• Like 1

Greetings!

I don't live that far away from Amsterdam, NY where the headquarters for coleco was and I have been meaning to stop there to take a few pictures. The factory buildings and the area in general is definitely on a decline - its sad but I think its part of video game history and interesting to 'fanboys' like myself.

I was in the area and this time snapped a few pictures!

It would be cool to find original pictures taken from the 80's in the same spot for comparison.

This building I believe was the main office/administration building. It apparently has some history to it and has a cool clock tower on it. I believe it got converted to condos.

attachicon.gifcolecofac5.jpg

This building is the corner to a series of factories that I assume was where the action happened. I'm not sure what its used for now but its certainly seen better days, you can see a garage in the foreground that is currently an auto repair shop.

attachicon.gifcolecofac4.jpg

This building was across the street from the office/admin building - not sure if this was part of coleco or not. Its an interesting creepshow nonetheless.

attachicon.gifcolecofac3.jpg

Got closer to the coleco sign in all its faded glory.

attachicon.gifcolecofac2.jpg

This is to the right of the coleco sign where you can see what appears to be a series of interconnected factory buildings - which I didn't really 'explore'. There was some random guys with drinks covered in paper bags walking around which I don't think were really amused by me taking pictures around their hang out.

attachicon.gifcolecofac1.jpg

Hope you find these interesting!

You got an address for this? My gf is originally from Amsterdam and I've never seen this building, let alone had any idea it was there.

Wow, ya... Thx for posting this... Definitely check it out on google street view... Nice! And actually, the neighborhood doesn't look all that bad... but what do I know.... Check out the neighborhood, the old homes are awesome!... man it would be cool to buy and fix something like that up... Hey we can pool our money together, buy up the whole town and call it ColecoLand!

Its really know as the SANFORD CLOCK TOWER, and then Coleco

37 Prospect Street , Amsterdam, NY 12010.

Wow, ya... Thx for posting this... Definitely check it out on google street view... Nice! And actually, the neighborhood doesn't look all that bad... but what do I know.... Check out the neighborhood, the old homes are awesome!... man it would be cool to buy and fix something like that up... Hey we can pool our money together, buy up the whole town and call it ColecoLand!

Your welcome!!! Anytime

How cool would that be? LOL A town full of arcades and video games =) A happy place.

Anthiny