Old Coleco Factory in Amsterdam, NY

28 replies to this topic

#1 coleco1981 OFFLINE  

coleco1981

Chopper Commander

• 118 posts

Posted Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:13 PM

Greetings!

I don't live that far away from Amsterdam, NY where the headquarters for coleco was and I have been meaning to stop there to take a few pictures. The factory buildings and the area in general is definitely on a decline - its sad but I think its part of video game history and interesting to 'fanboys' like myself.

I was in the area and this time snapped a few pictures!

It would be cool to find original pictures taken from the 80's in the same spot for comparison.

This building I believe was the main office/administration building. It apparently has some history to it and has a cool clock tower on it. I believe it got converted to condos.

colecofac5.jpg

This building is the corner to a series of factories that I assume was where the action happened. I'm not sure what its used for now but its certainly seen better days, you can see a garage in the foreground that is currently an auto repair shop.

colecofac4.jpg

This building was across the street from the office/admin building - not sure if this was part of coleco or not. Its an interesting creepshow nonetheless.

colecofac3.jpg

Got closer to the coleco sign in all its faded glory.
colecofac2.jpg

This is to the right of the coleco sign where you can see what appears to be a series of interconnected factory buildings - which I didn't really 'explore'. There was some random guys with drinks covered in paper bags walking around which I don't think were really amused by me taking pictures around their hang out.
colecofac1.jpg

Hope you find these interesting!

Edited by coleco1981, Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 PM.

#2 Kamshaft ONLINE  

Kamshaft

Moonsweeper

• 275 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:44 AM

Very cool! thanks for posting!

Edited by Kamshaft, Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:44 AM.

#3 PhoenixMoonPatrol OFFLINE  

PhoenixMoonPatrol

Moonsweeper

• 464 posts
  • Gonna take crackerjack timing to beat me pal

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:07 AM

Awesome.

Cool to see how the buildings are holding up today. Like watching a ghostly past. 

Makes you wish we had a Delorean to go back in time and see the excitement in their primed Coleco heyday. 

#4 Nutsy Doodleheimer OFFLINE  

Nutsy Doodleheimer

Quadrunner

• 5,600 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:45 AM

That is awesome! So glad the buildings are not demolished. It should be a landmark.

#5 Special Teams OFFLINE  

Special Teams

Dragonstomper

• 792 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 AM

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Interesting to see the COLECO sign still painted on the building some 30 years later.  New owners can't afford to repaint, or keeping it there for nostalgia?

#6 VectorGamer OFFLINE  

VectorGamer

Go Sleep In the Cold

• 13,430 posts
  • \m/

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:56 AM

That last picture reminds me of a factory I worked at 25 years ago. The production plant was connected to the warehouse much like what is in your last picture. It was a conveyor belt where pallets could be loaded from the production floor and straight to the warehouse. Maybe that's what's going on in that last picture.

#7 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:40 PM

AWESOME PICS!!!!  I have been wanting to take a ride up there for months now, as i am in New York City.  Def- One day, I will and wanna do the same thing you did, take pics and walk around.  That is so cool!!!!  Thumbs up!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Anthony

#8 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,424 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:10 PM

Pretty cool!!! :cool:

Thanks for the pics! 

#9 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:44 PM

WOW!  Totally awesome!  Thank You!   I had seen other sites with similar pics over the years... Here are some below...

http://www.hudsonval...am/sanford.html

http://www.anupstate...e-factory-city/

#10 coleco1981 OFFLINE  

coleco1981

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 118 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:33 PM

WOW!  Totally awesome!  Thank You!   I had seen other sites with similar pics over the years... Here are some below...

http://www.hudsonval...am/sanford.html

http://www.anupstate...e-factory-city/

Thanks for sharing - I was trying to find the Victorian house with the coleco sign on it but no luck. I guess that will be another excuse to stop again at some point down the road!

I hope they do something with these old factory buildings, I know that things don't get made in america anymore (sad) but hopefully the area and buildings can be revived into something great again (preserving the coleco sign of course)

#11 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:00 PM

Wow, hope you can make another trip, but sure appreciate the pics and description... Very Awesome and much appreciated!   I have a friend in New York that's been talking about making that trip too, PM if you want more info.  

#12 omf OFFLINE  

omf

Dragonstomper

• 721 posts

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:51 AM

that building looks about in the same condition of the standard persons colecovision main board (a bit broken) lol!

good pics though :)

#13 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 AM

came across this, had to share.. 

Attached Thumbnails

• coleco.jpg

#14 Vectorman OFFLINE  

Vectorman

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:59 PM

I had an old 80's book about videogame systems/computers and it had a picture of Coleco's HQ's. The building didn't look like the one pictured here at all. It was a large one story office building, like you see in industrial corridors, with a COLECO sign outside.

#15 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:23 AM

Hmm.. You happen to remember the book?

I had an old 80's book about videogame systems/computers and it had a picture of Coleco's HQ's. The building didn't look like the one pictured here at all. It was a large one story office building, like you see in industrial corridors, with a COLECO sign outside.

#16 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:41 AM

That was the HQs in West Hartford your talking about. It was a 1 one story building.

#17 Vectorman OFFLINE  

Vectorman

Chopper Commander

• 239 posts

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:41 AM

That was the HQs in West Hartford your talking about. It was a 1 one story building.

You're probably right.

#18 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:05 AM

You're probably right.

I woudve loved to see these properties in there heyday, also wouldve loved to work there as well.  Imagine?!?!?! Like a kid in the candy store. =)

#19 retroillucid OFFLINE  

retroillucid

Facebook.com/Collectorvision

• 7,424 posts
  • CollectorVision Games - Publishing Homebrew

Posted Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:14 PM

Hmm.. You happen to remember the book?

50th anniversary book distributed to employees
I've this book, pretty cool

#20 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 AM

50th anniversary book distributed to employees
I've this book, pretty cool

Wow- very cool!  Can you post a pic or two?  =)

Thanks Anthony

#21 Giltygear OFFLINE  

Giltygear

Moonsweeper

• 471 posts
  • AA Troll Crew

Posted Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:31 AM

Greetings!

I don't live that far away from Amsterdam, NY where the headquarters for coleco was and I have been meaning to stop there to take a few pictures. The factory buildings and the area in general is definitely on a decline - its sad but I think its part of video game history and interesting to 'fanboys' like myself.

I was in the area and this time snapped a few pictures!

It would be cool to find original pictures taken from the 80's in the same spot for comparison.

This building I believe was the main office/administration building. It apparently has some history to it and has a cool clock tower on it. I believe it got converted to condos.

attachicon.gifcolecofac5.jpg

This building is the corner to a series of factories that I assume was where the action happened. I'm not sure what its used for now but its certainly seen better days, you can see a garage in the foreground that is currently an auto repair shop.

attachicon.gifcolecofac4.jpg

This building was across the street from the office/admin building - not sure if this was part of coleco or not. Its an interesting creepshow nonetheless.

attachicon.gifcolecofac3.jpg

Got closer to the coleco sign in all its faded glory.
attachicon.gifcolecofac2.jpg

This is to the right of the coleco sign where you can see what appears to be a series of interconnected factory buildings - which I didn't really 'explore'. There was some random guys with drinks covered in paper bags walking around which I don't think were really amused by me taking pictures around their hang out.
attachicon.gifcolecofac1.jpg

Hope you find these interesting!

You got an address for this? My gf is originally from Amsterdam and I've never seen this building, let alone had any idea it was there.

#22 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:55 AM

Its really know as the SANFORD CLOCK TOWER,  and then Coleco

37 Prospect Street Amsterdam, NY 12010.

#23 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 AM

Wow, ya...  Thx for posting this... Definitely check it out on google street view... Nice!  And actually, the neighborhood doesn't look all that bad... but what do I know.... Check out the neighborhood, the old homes are awesome!... man it would be cool to buy and fix something like that up... Hey we can pool our money together, buy up the whole town and call it ColecoLand! 

Its really know as the SANFORD CLOCK TOWER,  and then Coleco

37 Prospect Street Amsterdam, NY 12010.

#24 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 203 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:07 PM

Wow, ya...  Thx for posting this... Definitely check it out on google street view... Nice!  And actually, the neighborhood doesn't look all that bad... but what do I know.... Check out the neighborhood, the old homes are awesome!... man it would be cool to buy and fix something like that up... Hey we can pool our money together, buy up the whole town and call it ColecoLand! 

Your welcome!!! Anytime

How cool would that be? LOL A town full of arcades and video games =)  A happy place.

Anthiny

#25 ValkerieSilk OFFLINE  

ValkerieSilk

Stargunner

• 1,252 posts

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:16 PM

Kickstarter! ;)   We'll just need a small goal of 50 to 100 million to jumpstart ColecoLand!

Your welcome!!! Anytime

How cool would that be? LOL A town full of arcades and video games =)  A happy place.

Anthiny

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users