Photo

Old Coleco Factory in Amsterdam, NY

28 replies to this topic

#26 Jaymiester ONLINE  

Jaymiester

Moonsweeper

• 440 posts

Posted Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 PM

Wow, ya...  Thx for posting this... Definitely check it out on google street view... Nice!  And actually, the neighborhood doesn't look all that bad... but what do I know.... Check out the neighborhood, the old homes are awesome!... man it would be cool to buy and fix something like that up... Hey we can pool our money together, buy up the whole town and call it ColecoLand! 

Colecoland ~ A Retro Gaming retirement community!! :)

Edited by Jaymiester, Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:10 PM.

#27 tonyankyfan1 OFFLINE  

tonyankyfan1

Chopper Commander

• 202 posts
  • The Coleco Hunter

Posted Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:38 AM

Colecoland ~ A Retro Gaming retirement community!! :)

Imagine?!?!? LOL hahaha

#28 Caterpiggle OFFLINE  

Caterpiggle

Dragonstomper

• 674 posts

Posted Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:05 AM

I should have known about this place if I knew better in 2006 when I was at Schenectady,NY ! I was visited my friend in that town but I wasn't know about this Coleco at Amsterdam in 2006 !  What more, it only take half hour or 20 miles to get there ! :twisted:

#29 MJE OFFLINE  

MJE

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Tue Mar 7, 2017 3:44 PM

Hello!

I'm not a video game guy (although my son is....does that count?), but I was trying to answer someone's question about Coleco and came upon your photos. Thanks very much for posting them!

I am originally from that area and remember the glory days of Coleco. First because of the madness over the Cabbage Patch dolls and soon-after the Colecovision products. People were resorting to crime in multiple forms during the first big Cabbage Patch Christmas. You could count on something about Coleco being front page news every day that year.

The company had been around for many years, starting as the Connecticut Leather Company (Co-Le-Co......get it?) and was a major employer in that area. It seemed to all come crashing down with the Adam Computer. The unemployment rate soared as car dealers, clothing stores, and just about everyone else was dependent on the townspeople having jobs and, therefore, money to spend. 

I'm sure I've seen those buildings in your photos, as I had to go into Amsterdam once in a while. I just don't recall taking note of them. The huge windows indicate that the buildings were erected prior to electric light being readily available. Although many were demolished in the 1960s, 70s and 80s, there are still a lot of the old factories around upstate NY. I haven't been back there in over two decades, but I recall a lot of them being declared historic and being put to new use.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures!

-MJ

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users