IGNORED

French Canadian Coleco Variations

Steve Jones

-------------

CBS cartridges in Canada would be unusual since CBS distribution rights were outside north america. It's possible coleco bought some stock from CBS. Or these cartridges found there way to canada after coleco got out of the video game business around 1985.

Agreed, I would say that is the more likely scenario.

The cart you have is a French CBS cart, not a French Canadian Coleco cart. Notice in my Turbo cart pic how it mentions Coleco Canada and has a Montreal address. We still have never seen a French Canadian DK Jr. I still hold out hope that it exists but its pretty strange that it was the only one that doesnt appear to have been made.

But I find it very interesting that the french box and cart mentions Sears. A brand that was never introduced to Europe.

Don't the other french cbs boxes mention super video arcade. The mouse trap box says it twice.

That canadian turbo box says not for use with intellivision ii. That cartridge does work with intellivision ii, does it not?

I only own DK jr as french version. Maybe one of our French collector friends can help here.

I just checked all the other games (other than Turbo which doesn't have the three different UK, French and German CBS boxes) and on all of them the French one is the only one that mention the Sears SVA. Interesting. ?

Don't the other french cbs boxes mention super video arcade. The mouse trap box says it twice.

That canadian turbo box says not for use with intellivision ii. That cartridge does work with intellivision ii, does it not?

Hmmm...I'm not sure to be honest. I rarely use my Inty 2 and it's even rarer for me to use my Turbo carts. ?

I just checked all the other games (other than Turbo which doesn't have the three different UK, French and German CBS boxes) and on all of them the French one is the only one that mention the Sears SVA. Interesting.

Hm, it's really strange. For a real Canadian release it supposed to be French and English. Is there a place where only French is spoken but also the Sears was released?

Hm, it's really strange. For a real Canadian release it supposed to be French and English. Is there a place where only French is spoken but also the Sears was released?

Just to be clear it's not a French Canadian release. That's the French as in France version. The French Canadian releases were Coleco. Now some CBS ones may have been sold here but they're not the same as the 7 other games

Just to be clear it's not a French Canadian release. That's the French as in France version. The French Canadian releases were Coleco. Now some CBS ones may have been sold here but they're not the same as the 7 other games

Yes, I'm totally with you! But why is Sears mentioned on the French release?

Yes, I'm totally with you! But why is Sears mentioned on the French release?

Absolutely no idea. Lol. I know the SVA was mentioned on the Coleco US boxes but it really doesn't make sense why it would be on the French but not German and UK boxes.

Stranger still is that it's not mentioned on the Coleco Canada French Canadian boxes. Weird.

• Like 1

Absolutely no idea. Lol. I know the SVA was mentioned on the Coleco US boxes but it really doesn't make sense why it would be on the French but not German and UK boxes.

Stranger still is that it's not mentioned on the Coleco Canada French Canadian boxes. Weird.

I only could imagine that Sears was active in some French overseas possessions like Guadeloupe or Martinique so they printed that on the box.

I only could imagine that Sears was active in some French overseas possessions like Guadeloupe or Martinique so they printed that on the box.

But Guadeloupe and Martinique used secam television. Do you think mattel made secam super video arcades.

Or they could have just translated the US box entirely without regard to whether it was appropriate or not.....

• Like 1

I agree with Steve and cmart: it must be a simple case of mindless translation of the English text on Coleco boxes into French. Moreover, I've never come across a sign of Sears in Italy nor in other European countries where I've been.

In cases like this inspector Rev uses to say: once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Or was it someone else who said that?

EIDT: I forgot to thank you guys for finding this anomaly. I think it has never been reported before