IGNORED

Atari CX22 Troubles

StephenJ

Hello,

Sure could use some help with this one...

Recently I picked up a CX22...the one with the switch to select Joystick / Trackball modes.

I tested it with Missile Command because I found out that it's the only 2600 game that will support both modes.

• The fire buttons don't work in either mode.
  • In the Joystick mode the cursor moves fine in all directions.
  • In the trackball mode the cursor moves erratically, and rarely in the directions of the ball spin.

I took the controller apart and cleaned the connections, rollers, etc.

There didn't seem to be any broken solder joints.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

StephenJ

If someone has a circuit board for this controller that they'd like to sell, PM me.

Hope I can help a little.

I opened mine to give it a thorough cleaning.

I decided to switch the buttons, figuring the other one would have been used less.

The wires end in those push on terminal clips that slide on to the circuit board, like in some of the CX40 joysticks.

The metal is very brittle now and I have had them break in the CX22 and also in the Gemini controllers.

They may look like they are connected but really may be loose.

Of course the button may be mashed to failure.

If you can not refurbish them to working, Best Electronics has the button circuit boards.

I don't know about the CX22 Trak-ball circuit boards. You would have to nicely ask. (They sell new CX80's from Best Electronics on eBay for $99).

The switch to set TB mode might be dirty. (It sounds like what happens when you run the CX80 build when the CX22 build works. I don't think there is one ROM that works with both versions.)

The sensors that read the light passing thru the wheels with the edge holes might be obstructed or dirty, mine didn't need that much internal cleaning. Just the shafts the roller ball contacts. The ball dripped brown filth when I sprayed it with kitchen cleaner with bleach. Ended up using an 8-Ball anyway. The off white base outside needed a good cleaning, and the indented plastic and where the top meets the bottom.

No original 2600 game support trackball mode. But there are trackball-enabled hacks made by Omegamatrix and Thomas Jentzsch (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243453-atari-2600-trak-ball-games/). If you're using an original missile command then it will only work in joystick mode.

Your problem is probably just a broken wire. You must use a multimeter to check continuity. It can be caused by either a broken connection to pin 6 of the controller plug or one of the two wires going from the board to the left button (the short black and red wires going from the blue connector on the board to the left switch in this picture)
post-10599-0-47380100-1447839360_thumb.jpg
Picture is not mine, I took it from here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/103276-proline-trak-ball-model-no-cx22/?do=findComment&comment=1252415

alkex_79,

You were right...in that I needed to use the TB enabled Missile Command. With that game the cursor tracks perfectly in the TB mode.

iesposta,

You were right...in suspecting that the firing problem was with the switches. I lifted the clear tape that holds down the dome contacts and I could see wear. With some cleaning, I was able to get one of them working...but not consistently. I'm going to order a couple new switches (CO20561-1) from Best Electronics...but, since my order has to at least $20, I have to wait until they get stock on something else I want to buy.

Thomas,

I'm sure I speak for many other Atari enthusiast when I say...thanks for your (and Omegamatrix's) efforts in enabling the five (5) 2600 games for true trackball use (please don't stop).

Once again...Thanks guys for tag-teaming to help me out!!

StephenJ

• Like 1

Ended up using an 8-Ball anyway.

Is it really possible to use a pool ball in the trackball controllers? An 8-ball would look so awesome in my CX-80! :cool: Are the CX-22 and CX-80 the same size? Also I'm wondering if the pool ball is heavier compared to the stock trackball? I wouldn't want to accelerate the wear of the rollers.

EDIT: Just ordered an 8-ball for my CX-80. 2+1/4 inch regulation pool ball, right? :cool:

(They sell new CX80's from Best Electronics on eBay for $99).

I got one helluva deal on mine then! Best offer accepted: $27 + s/h :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301785948238

iesposta,

You were right...in suspecting that the firing problem was with the switches. I lifted the clear tape that holds down the dome contacts and I could see wear. With some cleaning, I was able to get one of them working...but not consistently. I'm going to order a couple new switches (CO20561-1) from Best Electronics...but, since my order has to at least $20, I have to wait until they get stock on something else I want to buy.

Also I've got a CX-80 (that thinks it's a CX-22) and there are no "dome" switches in mine. Just a gold dot that makes an electrical connection on the circuit board. I guess Atari improved their game during the interim. ;-)