IGNORED

"Dunjonquest: Hellfire Warrior" Syntax Error

ballyalley

I'm playing Dunjonquest: Hellfire Warrior on the Atari 8-Bit under Altirra emulation. I have mapped the first level (Level 5) with screenshots. I've pieced the screenshots into the one whole level, but it's not 100% complete yet. I hope that in December I'll be able to post the finished map for Level 5.

I am using the ATR of this game available from AtariMania's website:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-dunjonquest-hellfire-warrior_2430.html

I used a hack in order to display the room numbers on level 6:

http://dangermuffy.blogspot.com/2010/06/hack-your-dunjonquest.html

The hack didn't quite work right for me, and thus I posted a fix for it in the comments section of the page.

I've been able to find the exit level and leave the labyrinth, but I do have a few problems. For instance, on Level 6 (The labyrinth):

In Room 32 of the labyrinth, grabbing Treasure 8 crashes the program with the following message: "ERROR - 3 AT LINE 5830." In Atari BASIC, Error 3 means "A value is outside its expected range." The crash does give you back a cursor, but no BASIC commands work. Line 5830 is:

5830 J=9*RND(U0)+U1:GOSUB Q:POKE KB+U14,PEEK(KB+U14)+J:GOSUB 74:GOTO MSTR

I don't expect anyone to duplicate or even try to get this error, but I'm curious to know if other players have had any similar problems with the game? Also, saving the character doesn't work as expected.

I won't be able to revisit this issue until early December. At that time, maybe we can figure this out together? If no one else is having issues, then perhaps some people are using a different disk image than the one available on AtariMania.

Since you're running this under Altirra, the next time it happens, open up the debugger (Debug > Enable Debugger) and then in the Console window, run the command:

.basic_vars

This will dump out all BASIC variables. This is necessary as we can't tell which statement bombed with just the line number. The U* values are probably constants, so it'd be Q, KB, MSTR, or an overflow on the POKE.