IGNORED

Atari the end all and be all of everything.

Jinks

I find myself when watching old movies and talking about video games or almost anything constantly doing an atari reference like yeah at that time atari was doing this or that idea was made by atari.

My wife hates this stuff.

I sound like my american friend I grew up with that apparently had ten thousand uncles who worked for nasa the cia invented the combustion engine and pretty much anything you were talking about his uncle did and knew everything about.

Now he starts off his sentences "the problem with that is" to anything I say.

Just wondering if anyone else here claims that atari invented everything to do with video games?

Atari "invented" the home console. Nintendo "perfected" it! :grin:

which explains why they aren't even a significant player in the video game market any more.

No, Nintendo didn't perfect anything. They capitalized on poor business decisions and ugly business mergers by Atari, and victimized the 3rd party developers with extortion tactics.

And they made rather unremarkable and unreliable hardware, and were eventually knocked off their throne by Sony, and MS. Now they are relegated to the toddler games market, making Pokemon and stuffed animal games for kindergarteners.

• Like 1

which explains why they aren't even a significant player in the video game market any more.

No, Nintendo didn't perfect anything. They capitalized on poor business decisions and ugly business mergers by Atari, and victimized the 3rd party developers with extortion tactics.

And they made rather unremarkable and unreliable hardware, and were eventually knocked off their throne by Sony, and MS. Now they are relegated to the toddler games market, making Pokemon and stuffed animal games for kindergarteners.

Not sure I agree:

Other than the zero force connector, I find Nintendo hardware excellent, and better quality than most everything else comtemporily available.

Microsoft BOUGHT the market, using money from their strong-arm achieved monopoly over PC software... The original Xbox is basically a derivitive of IBM's design, which itself was born of off-the-shelf components and easily used as a base. Most of the actual creative work in the MS ecosystem comes from outside Microsoft, in my opinion.

And Sony got their original start for the PS using Nintendo designs, I believe, originally intended as an innovative addition to the Super Famicom.

Nintendo has been genuinly innovative, although ultimately not successful today.

• Like 1

"Toddler Games?" Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Bayonetta, hardly what I would consider for kindergardners. :ponder:

Not sure I agree:

Other than the zero force connector, I find Nintendo hardware excellent, and better quality than most everything else comtemporily available.

Microsoft BOUGHT the market, using money from their strong-arm achieved monopoly over PC software... The original Xbox is basically a derivitive of IBM's design, which itself was born of off-the-shelf components and easily used as a base. Most of the actual creative work in the MS ecosystem comes from outside Microsoft, in my opinion.

And Sony got their original start for the PS using Nintendo designs, I believe, originally intended as an innovative addition to the Super Famicom.

Nintendo has been genuinly innovative, although ultimately not successful today.

Exactly what did they [Ninjaendo] innovate on? The game pad simply for cost reductions? The Wii's gimmick controller?

Because they weren't the first to stuff cartridges with add-on chips and RAM.

They didn't invent the platform game.

They weren't the first console to use an analog controller or pause buttons.

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything they actually innovated on other than their monopolistic business practices applied to the video game industry.

Edited by Lynxpro
  • Like 1

Well, Atari was very innovative, and the aftermarket around it was as well. My comment was mostly meant to say that inventions are not so easy to nail down.

The creation and development of ideas are very different things, and credit given (or taken) is often technically incorrect. It takes both, and doing either well deserves respect and admiration. I also respect success and my feeling is Nintendo fought hard for theirs, and Atari pissed theirs away.

I do think Nintendo hardware is generally very well designed and built, and I wanted to defend their contributions. That includes savvy marketing, by the way, an area where Atari demonstrated significant lapses. Nintendo built a huge market that thrived for a long, long time. I'm sure a long list of both Atari and Nintendo innovations can be listed, but that wasn't my point.

Ok. This association with atari is normal for someone who knows a great deal about it. It is a good way to connect and share yourself.

Ok but my problem is people think I am a nerd and don't get it and really wantvme to shut up about it. Maybe thats why I spend lots of time here..I know maybe 20 pecent of it if I am lucky. Maybe I need to perfect the mindlink? Atari just needed more power. How about a pair of 5 dollar shades hooked up to 220v? I will be able to see the future!

• Like 1

Ok but my problem is people think I am a nerd and don't get it and really wantvme to shut up about it. Maybe thats why I spend lots of time here..I know maybe 20 pecent of it if I am lucky. Maybe I need to perfect the mindlink? Atari just needed more power. How about a pair of 5 dollar shades hooked up to 220v? I will be able to see the future!

Sonic Shades? Sweet. I can't get enough Atari intersecting with Doctor Who.